Your Book Activity - February 2020

It's February.. what are you reading this month? Or, what have you bought or loaned/borrowed this month? Or any other book activity you wish to share.

I wanted to start a new book yesterday.. but I couldn't find anything yet that I felt in the mood for. I did read part of a magazine (a Dutch magazine called Flow) but I didn't quite feel in the mood for that either. I was quite busy yesterday morning and afternoon, and then I had a migraine in the later afternoon and in the evening. Hopefully I'll either read in the magazine today and/or pick a new book to read.

I bought two Dutch children's books at the charity shop yesterday morning (2 Silvester books by Willeke Brouwer).

Yesterday afternoon I went through some of my books and selected some to give away or donate (I'm going to ask my family first if they want any of them, the rest will go to a charity shop or second-hand shop).

I started reading Soot by Andrew Martin yesterday. I wanted something fairly fast paced and to start on a book that I was less likely to want to keep (because I really need to make space on my shelves), so I thought this mystery would be a good fit. It’s not quite as fast paced as I hoped so far but I have a feeling it will pick up. 

I hope you managed to read some more today @Athena:) 

9 hours ago, Hayley said:

I hope you managed to read some more today @Athena:) 

Thanks :). I read a bit in the magazine, but not much. I spent most of the day doing other things (helping my dad with some errands, helping my parents with some old photos, doing laundry, phoning with my sister, and more). Oh well :).

I've just finished reading The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny,  the third in the series of Inspector Gamache books and enjoyed it very much. Got 4 stars from me.

I've also been listening to R.F Delderfield's A Horseman Riding By, a book I've read several times but not for quite a while. Am enjoying it as much as the first time. 

Edited by poppy

17 hours ago, Madeleine said:

TCM is my favourite of the Gamache series so far.

I think so too Madeleine.  I gave Still Life 4 stars as well but Fatal Grace a little less.

Spoiler

I loved the character twist of Yvette Nichol in The Cruelest Month

I've just ordered three books from Amazon: Heartstopper Vol. 3 by Alice Oseman (LGBTQ+ graphic novel), The Siren and the Specter by Jonathan Janz (horror), and Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (family drama).  I'll be falling on the first as soon as it arrives!

I'm past the halfway point with Four Steps by Wendy Hudson.  The writing is excruciatingly lousy.  How on earth has this thing garnered so many rave reviews on Goodreads?  I'm so disappointed.

On 06/02/2020 at 2:14 PM, Onion Budgie said:

I've just ordered three books from Amazon: Heartstopper Vol. 3 by Alice Oseman (LGBTQ+ graphic novel), The Siren and the Specter by Jonathan Janz (horror), and Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (family drama).  I'll be falling on the first as soon as it arrives!

I hope Heartstopper Volume 3 will be good! (I'm sure it will be). I have it on my wishlist, but am not allowing myself to order any books for a while (to save money for the new house expenses). Hopefully I can buy the book in a few months, I am really looking forward to the book. Happy reading!!

5 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope Heartstopper Volume 3 will be good! (I'm sure it will be). I have it on my wishlist, but am not allowing myself to order any books for a while (to save money for the new house expenses). Hopefully I can buy the book in a few months, I am really looking forward to the book. Happy reading!!

It was wonderful!  You'll love it.  :)  (Btw, Alice Oseman's novella about the boys, Nick and Charlie, is finally going to be published in paperback in August!  It's set two years after the events we're currently reading about.)

18 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

It was wonderful!  You'll love it.  :)  (Btw, Alice Oseman's novella about the boys, Nick and Charlie, is finally going to be published in paperback in August!  It's set two years after the events we're currently reading about.)

I'm so glad it was wonderful :)!

I have the novella on my Kindle, I liked it :). I'd love to own the paperback at some point though :). I hope you enjoy it!

I'm a third of the way through The Case of the Gilded Fly, and it isn't grabbing me.  Gah!  I had high hopes, but it's a big flat pancake so far.  Too many characters introduced all at once, and too much endless description.  It makes me appreciate Agatha Christie's strong point -- her dialogue -- all the more.  A crime novel's lost without that.

I'm about halfway through The Exphoria Code by Antony Johnston and I'm really enjoying it so far. Normally I would have expected to have finished it by now but it's been a busy last 7 days and I haven't had chance to do much in the way of reading.

I finished The Case of the Gilded Fly, and didn't think too much of it (dull plot, odd motives, peculiar character interactions, and some misogyny to top it off).  As it was the first in a series, I still might try another at some point, just to see if the author's style improves.

I'm about to start Harold Lloyd: The Man on the Clock by Tom Dardis, which is a biography of the silent film star.

I'm two-thirds of the way through Harold Lloyd's biography, and am loving it.  Fascinating behind-the-scenes moments from the silent film biz of the 1910s and '20s, and beyond.  It's made me want to rewatch all of Lloyd's films now.

I've just ordered Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie, which is a graphic novel of AC's life story.  The artwork is cute, I'm looking forward to reading it.

On 29/02/2020 at 3:12 PM, Onion Budgie said:

I've just ordered Agatha: The Real Life of Agatha Christie, which is a graphic novel of AC's life story.  The artwork is cute, I'm looking forward to reading it.

This sounds interesting! I hope you like it :).