British Library Crime Classics

Raven

I suspect anyone who has been browsing books in a Waterstones in the last year or so will be familiar with these, but has anyone read any of the books from the British Library Crime Classics series?

They are the range of crime novels that have old railway posters on their covers, like this one:

bbcc.jpg.d96d0724ce2ad525933cbd57d4a4fa85.jpg

I've been tempted by a few of these now, and the Amazon ratings seem good for a lot of them, but I was wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience (and if so, what would you recommend?).

I've read just a couple, both Christmas themed:  Mystery in White by J. Jefferson Farjeon, and The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay.  Both were solid mysteries, but I did slightly prefer the latter for pacing.

I'm tempted to read more.  It's an enticing series, I think partly because of the glorious cover art.

I've got a lot of these, and have read a few, like Budgie mainly Xmas ones, and I wasn't that keen on Mystery in White, but the Santa Klaus Murder was much better.  They are very collectable though, some of the covers are stunning.

I keep meaning to read more of them!  I suspect they're probably a bit variable in quality, and some definitely feel a bit dated, which is inevitable.