The Last Film You Saw - 2020

Athena

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I'm currently wading  through "The Rise of Skywalker", not very involving really, and the dialogue is risible!  It has picked up a bit now, but is a bit of a slog.

The dialogue is cringe worthy! :lol:. And I found Rey was an infuriating character in this film. :10_confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Watched A Quiet Place over the weekend, I did enjoy it but didn't find it in the least bit scary, although the suspense was done well, and it was well acted, the child actors were also excellent.  I did find it a bit derivative - it reminded me of the first Alien and Predator films - but was an enjoyable, old fashioned sort of film - not too gory, and the abrupt ending gave it the feel of an extended episode of say the X Files.  Haven't seen the sequel yet.

The worst bit was

Spoiler

the bit with the nail, as soon as I saw that nail I knew what was going to happen:o

• 1 month later...

Enola Holmes

A good, fun old romp of a film, in which Milly Bobby Brown is simply brilliant. Star and producer, and she was just 15 when it was made!  She was good in Stranger Things, but if she carries on like this she's going to end up running Hollywood! 

• 1 month later...

The last three films I have watched were all in black and white.

Kind Hearts and Coronets and Sink the Bismark! on Sunday and Casablanca this afternoon.  Not seen the latter in years, and was struck by just how stunning Ingrid Bergman was in her day (that, or I've been indoors too long...)

Tomorrow afternoon, I am heartened to see that Jason and the Argonauts is on Channel 5 - classic Christmas Eve viewing when I was a kid! 

It's up against the sci-fi classic This Island Earth on Horror, though... (I have both on DVD, this is very much a first world problem...).

1 hour ago, Raven said:

The last three films I have watched were all in black and white.

Kind Hearts and Coronets and Sink the Bismark! on Sunday and Casablanca this afternoon.  Not seen the latter in years, and was struck by just how stunning Ingrid Bergman was in her day (that, or I've been indoors too long...)

Tomorrow afternoon, I am heartened to see that Jason and the Argonauts is on Channel 5 - classic Christmas Eve viewing when I was a kid! 

It's up against the sci-fi classic This Island Earth on Horror, though... (I have both on DVD, this is very much a first world problem...).

Casablanca :wub:

Really need to make time to watch the classics. I used to be obsessed with them as a teenager. 

15 hours ago, Raven said:

Not seen the latter in years, and was struck by just how stunning Ingrid Bergman was in her day (that, or I've been indoors too long...)

It's not being stuck inside, she has something on screen which is just captivating. There is a video floating around on YouTube which I don't think was used as part of a movie where she looks up and smiles. There is something about it which feels like she is looking into your soul somehow.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:21 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Casablanca :wub:

Really need to make time to watch the classics. I used to be obsessed with them as a teenager. 

It really is very good indeed. I love Bogart; he's always played the same role in every film I've seen him in, but he really is a screen icon from the golden age of Hollywood.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:52 PM, Marie H said:

High Society is one of my favourites :). And a handful of Studio Ghibli to rewatch.

Studio Ghibli is always worth a re-watch!  I've seen a few of them over the various lockdowns we have had this year, and they are so very good (I also found a music of Studio Ghibli concert on YouTube the other day, and it was very good!).

They are also all currently on Netflix, if you have a subscription.

12 hours ago, Brian. said:

It's not being stuck inside, she has something on screen which is just captivating. There is a video floating around on YouTube which I don't think was used as part of a movie where she looks up and smiles. There is something about it which feels like she is looking into your soul somehow.

I can believe that.