Read-a-thon 2020

Athena

Hey! It's (almost) 2020.. so here's the preliminary schedule for the BCF read-a-thon in 2020.

The aim is to read (in) one or multiple books during these days. You can read whichever book(s) you like. No themes or rules!

General rule: The read-a-thons take place on the first Friday of the Month and are on that Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

There are exceptions, we may move a read-a-thon if that suits its participants better.

The dates for 2020 are (Friday, Saturday, Sunday):

January: 3th, 4th, 5th

February: 7th, 8th, 9th

March: 6th, 7th, 8th

April: 3th, 4th, 5th

May: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd

June: 5th, 6th, 7th

July: 3th, 4th, 5th

August: 7th, 8th, 9th

September: 4th, 5th, 6th

October: 2nd, 3rd, 4th

November: 6th, 7th, 8th

December: 4th, 5th, 6th

I hope some of you will want to join me again for some of these dates :). Though I may not be available on a few of these .. we will see!

Happy read(-a-thon-)ing in 2020 :readingtwo:!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Athena said:

Hey! It's (almost) 2020.. so here's the preliminary schedule for the BCF read-a-thon in 2020.

The aim is to read (in) one or multiple books during these days. You can read whichever book(s) you like. No themes or rules!

General rule: The read-a-thons take place on the first Friday of the Month and are on that Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

There are exceptions, we may move a read-a-thon if that suits its participants better.

The dates for 2020 are (Friday, Saturday, Sunday):

January: 3th, 4th, 5th

February: 7th, 8th, 9th

March: 6th, 7th, 8th

April: 3th, 4th, 5th

May: 1rst, 2nd, 3rd

June: 5th, 6th, 7th

July: 3th, 4th, 5th

August: 7th, 8th, 9th

September: 4th, 5th, 6th

October: 2nd, 3rd, 4th

November: 6th, 7th, 8th

December: 4th, 5th, 6th

I hope some of you will want to join me again for some of these dates :). Though I may not be available on a few of these .. we will see!

Happy read(-a-thon-)ing in 2020 :readingtwo:!

Yay! I was wondering when the first read-a-thon of 2020 would be. Definitely count me in!

1 hour ago, Athena said:

The BCF January 2020 Read-a-thon starts today and is this weekend!

It turns out I don't have lots of time to read this weekend as there are other things I need and want to do, but we'll see how it goes!

Happy reading, @karen.d and @Hayley :readingtwo::D!!

You all too! I've read 43 pages of 'Brideshead Revisited' by Evelyn Waugh and I've decided to DNF it. It's only day three of the year and I have already DNF'ed a book!

Edited by karen.d

I had forgotten that the read-a-thin was this weekend but I have spent most of the day so far read Police by Jo Nesbo. I would estimate I’ve read about 300 pages so far and I’m hoping to finish the book tonight.

I finished reading Lonely Courage; the true story of the SOE heroines who fought to free Nazi-occupied France by Rick Stroud. An excellent book, very gripping stories of the 39 women who were recruited and parachuted into France.

Happy reading this weekend everyone! :)

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

I just had to finish Police before I went to bed last night so my pages for Friday was in the region of 480 pages. I plan to make a start on In Search of the Dark Ages by Michael Wood at some point today.

Wow, well done! I hope it was an enjoyable read!

14 hours ago, Marie H said:

I finished reading Lonely Courage; the true story of the SOE heroines who fought to free Nazi-occupied France by Rick Stroud. An excellent book, very gripping stories of the 39 women who were recruited and parachuted into France.

That sounds like an interesting book!

Happy reading to you too Marie :)

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

I just had to finish Police before I went to bed last night so my pages for Friday was in the region of 480 pages. I plan to make a start on In Search of the Dark Ages by Michael Wood at some point today.

Wow, well done! I hope it was an enjoyable read!

14 hours ago, Marie H said:

That sounds like an interesting book!

Happy reading to you too Marie :)!

Yesterday (Friday) I read Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket Collector's Edition Volume 9 / original Volumes 17 & 18 (391 pages). It was a really nice read.

On 03/01/2020 at 11:03 AM, karen.d said:

You all too! I've read 43 pages of 'Brideshead Revisited' by Evelyn Waugh and I've decided to DNF it. It's only day three of the year and I have already DNF'ed a book!

Maybe we should all make a resolution to not keep reading books we don't really like in 2020 :lol:. I hope the next one you pick up will be much better!

I had a really busy day yesterday, so I planned to get everything done and then go to bed early to get a decent amount of reading time in... but I fell asleep instead :blush:. On the plus side, I can't do worse than I did yesterday with 0 pages! 

Hope everyone is enjoying their books today!

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

Maybe we should all make a resolution to not keep reading books we don't really like in 2020 :lol:. I hope the next one you pick up will be much better!

That's a good idea.

I had a really busy day yesterday, so I planned to get everything done and then go to bed early to get a decent amount of reading time in... but I fell asleep instead :blush:. On the plus side, I can't do worse than I did yesterday with 0 pages! 

I hope you have a nice day today :).

Hope everyone is enjoying their books today!

I hope the same!

Yesterday I read Komi Can't Communicate Volume 1 by Tomohito Oda and Death Note Volume 1 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata.

Definitely abandon books you don’t like, life is too short. I generally give a book 50-100 pages and if I still hate it, it gets DNF’d.

My dark ages book is a much slower read as it’s packed with information so as a result I read about 100 pages yesterday.

I managed about 50 pages before I fell asleep last night, two short stories and three very tiny stories (like one and two pages long) from Help the Witch by Tom Cox. I also read a couple of pages of one the longer short stories in there, so hopefully I'll be able to finish at least that tonight. 

22 hours ago, Brian. said:

Definitely abandon books you don’t like, life is too short. I generally give a book 50-100 pages and if I still hate it, it gets DNF’d.

This sounds like a good policy/rule :).

22 hours ago, Brian. said:

My dark ages book is a much slower read as it’s packed with information so as a result I read about 100 pages yesterday.

I hope it's interesting :).

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I managed about 50 pages before I fell asleep last night, two short stories and three very tiny stories (like one and two pages long) from Help the Witch by Tom Cox. I also read a couple of pages of one the longer short stories in there, so hopefully I'll be able to finish at least that tonight. 

I hope you're enjoying your reading :).

I went to a second-hand book market yesterday morning and when I got back I was too exhausted to do any reading.

Thank you all for participating in this read-a-thon :).

The next one is on 7, 8, and 9 February.

3 hours ago, Athena said:

This sounds like a good policy/rule :).

I hope it's interesting :).

I hope you're enjoying your reading :).

I went to a second-hand book market yesterday morning and when I got back I was too exhausted to do any reading.

Thank you all for participating in this read-a-thon :).

The next one is on 7, 8, and 9 February.

Overall, I managed to read the following during this weekend's read-a-thon:

'Brideshead Revisited' by Evelyn Waugh 26 pages (before I DNF'd this book)

'The Couple Next Door' by Sahri Lapena 344 pages (Finished)

'The Fake Date' by Lynda Stacey 58 pages

Total Pages Read: 428

Looking forward to the next read-a-thon already!

On 1/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, Brian. said:

I usually give a book 100 pages before DNF ing it, but I couldn't stand the characters in 'Brideshead Revisited' !

20 hours ago, karen.d said:

Overall, I managed to read the following during this weekend's read-a-thon:

'Brideshead Revisited' by Evelyn Waugh 26 pages (before I DNF'd this book)

'The Couple Next Door' by Sahri Lapena 344 pages (Finished)

'The Fake Date' by Lynda Stacey 58 pages

Total Pages Read: 428

That's excellent progress!!

20 hours ago, karen.d said:

Looking forward to the next read-a-thon already!

Same :).

1 minute ago, Athena said:

That's excellent progress!!

Same :).

I think that is the most I have read in a read-a-thon! Not that that's the reason I do the read-a-thon. It's a good excuse to read all weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Personal update:

The weekend for the next read-a-thon (7, 8, 9 February) and a lot of the weekends after that, for the next few months, my family and I will be busy working on our new house. So.. I'm honestly not sure how much reading I'll be able to do. Maybe further down the line, sure, but the upcoming weekend in February (7, 8, 9 Feb), will be the first weekend that we have the keys to the house (I'm super excited!), so I'll probably not be getting much reading done. The weekend of 14-15-16 February I may have more time, as my parents will not be available then, but I'm not sure yet. I still want to read the books I usually read for the read-a-thons, the Fruits Basket series I'm reading and the Death Note series I just started. But I may do it during another time in the month, or maybe I'll read on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday prior to the read-a-thons (however, like I said, we're only just getting the key in the beginning of February, so the first week of Feb I'll be busy with the house for sure and I doubt there'll be much reading going on for me).

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Personal update:

The weekend for the next read-a-thon (7, 8, 9 February) and a lot of the weekends after that, for the next few months, my family and I will be busy working on our new house. So.. I'm honestly not sure how much reading I'll be able to do. Maybe further down the line, sure, but the upcoming weekend in February (7, 8, 9 Feb), will be the first weekend that we have the keys to the house (I'm super excited!), so I'll probably not be getting much reading done. The weekend of 14-15-16 February I may have more time, as my parents will not be available then, but I'm not sure yet. I still want to read the books I usually read for the read-a-thons, the Fruits Basket series I'm reading and the Death Note series I just started. But I may do it during another time in the month, or maybe I'll read on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday prior to the read-a-thons (however, like I said, we're only just getting the key in the beginning of February, so the first week of Feb I'll be busy with the house for sure and I doubt there'll be much reading going on for me).

Wow, the month has gone so quickly! I'll be taking part in the read-a-thon as much as I can. I'm not sure what I will be reading. It's my birthday next Wednesday, so I suspect that I might  be receiving a few new books! So we will see :readingtwo:

Edited by karen.d

On 18/01/2020 at 9:08 AM, karen.d said:

Wow, the month has gone so quickly! I'll be taking part in the read-a-thon as much as I can. I'm not sure what I will be reading. It's my birthday next Wednesday, so I suspect that I might  be receiving a few new books! So we will see :readingtwo:

I hope you get some new books for your birthday :D!!