Read-a-thon 2020

Athena

On 08/08/2020 at 8:53 AM, Athena said:

I also read Volume 3 and Volume 4 of Komi Can't Communicate by Tomohito Oda (two manga volumes). 

I started volume 1 of Komi Can’t Communicate today, and it’s very good too. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

I did enjoy it, thank you!

You read loads! (I looked up Fablehaven by the way and it does sound really good!)

I hope you did get some reading done today. 37 degrees would be far too hot for me too. It's 26 here and I'm still boiling. Breaking a heel bone sounds very painful, I hope your grandad will recover from it quickly. 

Marie, I think you jinxed us :giggle2: it was so cool this morning and now I'm melting again! Where did that breeze go!?

I'm glad you enjoyed it :)!

Thank you!

Thanks, my granddad is doing okay under the circumstances gladly :).

Haha!

11 hours ago, Marie H said:

:D

It’s just ridiculous weather this weekend! 

Read most of the afternoon, so it was a good read-a-thon.

Yay!

11 hours ago, Marie H said:

I started volume 1 of Komi Can’t Communicate today, and it’s very good too. 

I'm glad you are liking it :)!

Yesterday (Sunday) I finished off Blankets by Craig Thompson (548 pages read on Sunday). I also read The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal by E. K. Weaver (527 pages).

I had a lot of fun reading during this read-a-thon!

Oops I forgot to update on Sunday! I think the heat is melting my brain.

After I finished The House Without Windows I read about half of The Magpie Tree on Sunday. I’m really happy with how much I read and it was really nice to focus on reading for a couple of days. 

I’m glad everyone else enjoyed it too :) 

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oops I forgot to update on Sunday! I think the heat is melting my brain.

After I finished The House Without Windows I read about half of The Magpie Tree on Sunday. I’m really happy with how much I read and it was really nice to focus on reading for a couple of days. 

I’m glad everyone else enjoyed it too :) 

I'm glad you had fun reading :)!

EDIT: The next read-a-thon is scheduled for 4, 5, 6 September. I will have just moved (moving is in just over a week now!) so will have to see how things are by then, if I have time and energy to participate.

Edited by Athena

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you had fun reading :)!

EDIT: The next read-a-thon is scheduled for 4, 5, 6 September. I will have just moved (moving is in just over a week now!) so will have to see how things are by then, if I have time and energy to participate.

Oooh that's exciting! If you'd rather move the September read-a-thon forward a week to the 11th-13th September, so you have a better chance to participate, that would be fine with me! 

17 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oooh that's exciting! If you'd rather move the September read-a-thon forward a week to the 11th-13th September, so you have a better chance to participate, that would be fine with me! 

Thanks, that's good to know :)! I don't know yet, I can't really oversee how things are going to go, and whether I would be available on 11-13. But if/when I know more things, I'll be sure to make a post.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, Hayley said:

That's fine with me! I actually thought the read-a-thon was last weekend, so I will be doing the read-a-thon twice in one month:giggle2:

On 13/08/2020 at 3:40 PM, Hayley said:

On 02/09/2020 at 12:26 PM, karen.d said:

That's fine with me! I actually thought the read-a-thon was last weekend, so I will be doing the read-a-thon twice in one month:giggle2:

That sounds good! Let's move it to the 11th-13th of September then :). Unless you both prefer to have it this upcoming weekend?

On 02/09/2020 at 11:26 AM, karen.d said:

:lol: Extra reading is never a bad thing though. 

3 hours ago, Athena said:

That sounds good! Let's move it to the 11th-13th of September then :). Unless you both prefer to have it this upcoming weekend?

I agree with moving it to the 11th-13th :) 

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I am super tempted to start a couple of my read-a-thon reads today, as I have a few hours of spare time this afternoon, and I will be busy for parts of Friday, Saturday and Sunday..

Should I..?

Yes, do it :) . We've extended the read-a-thon to a Monday before, starting a day earlier isn't really different to that!

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Yes, do it :) . We've extended the read-a-thon to a Monday before, starting a day earlier isn't really different to that!

:)! You have a point! So I did some reading yesterday after reading your post on my phone :).

Happy reading Hayley, Karen and Marie!!

I can't seem to @ tag anyone, I think that's broken (it just keeps spinning for me, not coming up with anything).

Edited by Athena

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Happy reading Hayley, Karen and Marie!!

I can't seem to @ tag anyone, I think that's broken (it just keeps spinning for me, not coming up with anything).

Happy reading!

I have noticed the tagging issue but I’m not sure what’s stopping it from loading, I can only assume it’s a coding issue, and I’m still waiting to get a price and date from the web developer. Hopefully it’s not too annoying in the mean time but it is on the list to be fixed! 

I couldn’t sleep so I finished Loch of the Dead. It was so good but it hasn’t really helped me to feel sleepy! 

I didn’t make any plans for what I wanted to read this read-a-thon, other than Loch of the Dead, so I’m not sure what to go for next.

On 11/09/2020 at 6:12 PM, Hayley said:

I have noticed the tagging issue but I’m not sure what’s stopping it from loading, I can only assume it’s a coding issue, and I’m still waiting to get a price and date from the web developer. Hopefully it’s not too annoying in the mean time but it is on the list to be fixed!

Good to know :)! I wasn't sure if you knew about it, so I thought I'd mention it in my post. I hope the price and date won't be too bad. Will you let me know if you need help?

On 12/09/2020 at 2:02 AM, Hayley said:

I couldn’t sleep so I finished Loch of the Dead. It was so good but it hasn’t really helped me to feel sleepy! 

I didn’t make any plans for what I wanted to read this read-a-thon, other than Loch of the Dead, so I’m not sure what to go for next.

I'm glad it was a really good read :)! I'm sorry it didn't help you sleep though! I hope you got / are getting some more sleep :(. I hope you find another nice book that you feel in the mood to read :).

I've been reading quite a lot on Thursday afternoon/evening and on Friday (yesterday).

On Thursday I read Komi Can't Communicate Volumes 5, 6 and 7, all by Tomohito Oda. I then read the first two books in the Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey, book 2 was a re-read actually (I read a library copy of it some years ago). Lastly I read a short picture book called Supertato: Books are Rubbish by Sue Hendra and Paul Linnet.

Yesterday in the afternoon I read some graphic novels / memoirs, I read Sunny 3: Sunny rolls the Dice by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (col. by Lark Pien) (good), Stepping Stones by Lucy Knisley (good), French Milk by Lucy Knisley (really didn't like it), Snug by Catana Chetwynd (good), Happily Ever After & Everything in Between by Debbie Tung (really good), and They Called Us Enemy by George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott and Harmony Becker (excellent).

Listened to the end of Jodi Taylor - Lies, Damn Lies and History (Chronicles of St Mary’s #7). Seemed the book was a slow(ish) burner, compared to her usual type, but towards the end, it was WHOA 😮. Spectacular!

Listened 1/3 of Ben Aaronovitch’s Moon over Soho (Rivers of London #2) and I’m now getting into it. More slow burner than the 1st series, though the first one was a quite chaotic.

Today I hope to read some of the manga from my current list.

5 hours ago, Athena said:

Good to know :)! I wasn't sure if you knew about it, so I thought I'd mention it in my post. I hope the price and date won't be too bad. Will you let me know if you need help?

I will, thank you :hug:

5 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad it was a really good read :)! I'm sorry it didn't help you sleep though! I hope you got / are getting some more sleep :(. I hope you find another nice book that you feel in the mood to read :).

I've been reading quite a lot on Thursday afternoon/evening and on Friday (yesterday).

On Thursday I read Komi Can't Communicate Volumes 5, 6 and 7, all by Tomohito Oda. I then read the first two books in the Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey, book 2 was a re-read actually (I read a library copy of it some years ago). Lastly I read a short picture book called Supertato: Books are Rubbish by Sue Hendra and Paul Linnet.

Yesterday in the afternoon I read some graphic novels / memoirs, I read Sunny 3: Sunny rolls the Dice by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (col. by Lark Pien) (good), Stepping Stones by Lucy Knisley (good), French Milk by Lucy Knisley (really didn't like it), Snug by Catana Chetwynd (good), Happily Ever After & Everything in Between by Debbie Tung (really good), and They Called Us Enemy by George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott and Harmony Becker (excellent).

I did get to sleep eventually! You know when you just start thinking of a million things when you need to go to sleep? The book helped to distract me from thinking about anything else, but the ending was so tense! I have the next book in that series, The Darker Arts, and I'm leaning towards starting that now.

I'm glad you enjoyed most of your reading! I hope today's is as good :) 

3 hours ago, Marie H said:

Listened to the end of Jodi Taylor - Lies, Damn Lies and History (Chronicles of St Mary’s #7). Seemed the book was a slow(ish) burner, compared to her usual type, but towards the end, it was WHOA 😮. Spectacular!

Listened 1/3 of Ben Aaronovitch’s Moon over Soho (Rivers of London #2) and I’m now getting into it. More slow burner than the 1st series, though the first one was a quite chaotic.

I read up to the third book in the Chronicles of St Mary's series and I really should go back to it. Especially now I know the ending of the seventh book is so good :lol:

I'm glad you're enjoying Moon Over Soho now! It's been quite a while since I read it but I think I remember feeling like it got a lot better further into the book. It had a lot to live up to after the first one didn't it!?

20 hours ago, Marie H said:

I'm glad the ending was spectacular :)!

I hope you like Moon over Soho and that it improves further on in the book like Hayley said :).

Happy reading with some manga :D!

I will, thank you :hug:

:hug:

I did get to sleep eventually! You know when you just start thinking of a million things when you need to go to sleep? The book helped to distract me from thinking about anything else, but the ending was so tense! I have the next book in that series, The Darker Arts, and I'm leaning towards starting that now.

Oh yes, I get like that too sometimes.

I'm glad you enjoyed most of your reading! I hope today's is as good :) 

Thanks :). I didn't read lots yesterday, but what I read I enjoyed a lot. I read The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui, a graphic memoir about their life and their family's life in Vietnam and as immigrants in the US. It was an excellent read. Just before bed I re-read a children's illustrated book, Tom Gates 2: Excellent Excuses (and Other Good Stuff) by Liz Pichon, which was enjoyable to re-read.

I read up to the third book in the Chronicles of St Mary's series and I really should go back to it. Especially now I know the ending of the seventh book is so good :lol:

:lol:

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm glad you're enjoying Moon Over Soho now! It's been quite a while since I read it but I think I remember feeling like it got a lot better further into the book. It had a lot to live up to after the first one didn't it!?

Jodi Taylor's books have been a wonderful escapism recently, though the staff at St Mary's have a much dangerous time, even within St Marys!! All of the series are so good, so far, and the plot changes are great (something shocking :o, but sooo good).

I'm glad that I started Moon Over Soho, as it's very intriguing and the gore isn't too bad, so far.

Yesterday / On Sunday I read Illegal by Eoin Colfer, Andrew Donkin, Giovanni Rigano and Chris Dickey, My Brother's Husband Volume 1 and My Brother's Husband Volume 2 by Gengoroh Tagame, and Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me by Mariko Tamaki and Rosemary Valero-O'Connell.

I had a lot of fun during this read-a-thon :)! I hope you (Hayley, Marie, Karen) did too!

• 3 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is in principle scheduled for this upcoming weekend (Oct 2, 3 and 4th; next Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I wasn't really feeling in the mood for it, but reading this thread now, it reminds me that we moved the September read-a-thon to a week later, so given that it's only been 2-3 weeks since then, explains why I don't feel in the mood for it yet. Maybe I'll feel more in the mood for it as it gets closer to the weekend! Will anyone be joining me? We could move it to a week later, but then we'll keep having this issue in further months. Actually, this October weekend I was supposed to be on holiday, but because of Covid getting worse in many places I decided to cancel my holiday. It would be possible if I don't leave the house I'd be staying at, but I feel I sort of might as well stay at home instead. I moved last month so the house still feels a bit new to me. And I'm hardly going out here either anyway, because of Covid/Corona / the pandemic I feel safer staying at home for almost all of the time, and it's not better where I was supposed to go, than here, so. Anyway.. does anyone feel like doing some reading this upcoming weekend?