Read-a-thon 2020

Athena

On 04/04/2020 at 2:06 PM, Marie H said:

Managed 2 hours reading yesterday, which is rather poor as I have very little to do at the mo! :blush:

I hope to read most of this afternoon.

2 hours isn't bad at all! 

On 04/04/2020 at 6:17 PM, karen.d said:

This book is growing on me now!

He never lets us down :lol:

10 hours ago, Athena said:

I really enjoyed Wyrd Sisters, I hope you enjoy your re-read of it :).

Thanks! I love that part at the beginning:

'As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: "When shall we three meet again?"

There was a pause.

Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: "Well, I can do next Tuesday"' :lol:

10 hours ago, Athena said:

Yesterday I read:

40 pages of When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

29 pages of Humble Pi by Matt Parker (finishing it)

44 pages of The Evolutionary Void (The Void Trilogy 3) by Peter F. Hamilton (re-read)

15 pages of Wegens familieomstandigheden gesloten by Sigrid Landman

13 pages of What If? by Randall Munroe

204 pages of Deathnote Volume 4 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takashi Obata (finishing it)

Happy reading today!!

Wow, great mix! I hope you enjoyed them all!

I started reading Things in Jars yesterday too, which is really good so far! 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thanks! I love that part at the beginning:

'As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: "When shall we three meet again?"

There was a pause.

Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: "Well, I can do next Tuesday"' :lol:

I love that beginning too :lol:!!

Wow, great mix! I hope you enjoyed them all!

I am, thanks :)!

I started reading Things in Jars yesterday too, which is really good so far!

I'm glad it's good so far!

My progress for yesterday:

42 pages of When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

15 pages of The Void Trilogy 3: The Evolutionary Void by Peter F. Hamilton (re-read)

11 pages of Wegens familieomstandigheden gesloten by Sigrid Landman

20 pages of What If? by Randall Munroe

I hope everyone had a good time during this read-a-thon :).

The next read-a-thon is scheduled for the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of May (Fri-Sat-Sun).

On 4/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, Hayley said:

That’s exactly how I felt about it at first too. Very different atmosphere isn’t it? When I read the next book though I was like ‘wow, that was really clever’. 

I finished Murder on the the Orient Express and I really enjoyed it! I know it’s about a murder but I actually found it quite relaxing! I definitely want to read more Agatha Christie.

It doesn't really seem a continuation of the last book. Apart from having two characters from the first book (so far!), it could be a stand alone. It's definitely has some very abstract bits in it. I am enjoying this though. I managed to read 142 pages over the weekend. It's not as many pages as I would have liked to have read, but it's helping me get my reading mojo back.

3 hours ago, karen.d said:

It doesn't really seem a continuation of the last book. Apart from having two characters from the first book (so far!), it could be a stand alone. It's definitely has some very abstract bits in it. I am enjoying this though. I managed to read 142 pages over the weekend. It's not as many pages as I would have liked to have read, but it's helping me get my reading mojo back.

I don't want to give anything away, because I thought it was a standalone at first too, but it is connected to the story from the first book and it will all make sense eventually, even the weird abstract bits! 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I don't want to give anything away, because I thought it was a standalone at first too, but it is connected to the story from the first book and it will all make sense eventually, even the weird abstract bits! 

Ohh sounds interesting!

• 3 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is the weekend of the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of May (Fri-Sat-Sun). I know the 1rst of May is a day off in some countries (though not in NL), but I can't remember which countries. I thought I'd ask if this suited everyone (who wants to participate)? I wouldn't have minded if it was this upcoming weekend but it's still April then (next Monday is King's Day here which is a day off, and because of the pandemic there are no events so most people will hopefully be staying at home). So how does the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of May sound?

I will have plenty of time to read on those days.......or any other days at the moment re. the lockdown. The first three weeks I had the idea that I should be busy with projects, but now I am more stoically getting used to being more relaxed doing what I really want, usually reading. :)

I plan to read during this afternoon, as the weather is showery, so no pottering in the garden today. Happy reading time everyone! :)

2 hours ago, karen.d said:

Just remembered that today is the start of this month's read-a-thon! Just about to pick up my book and start!

Happy reading, Karen :)!

2 hours ago, Marie H said:

I plan to read during this afternoon, as the weather is showery, so no pottering in the garden today. Happy reading time everyone! :)

Happy reading to you too, Marie :)!

So far today I have read 67 pages of Artemis Fowl 1: Artemis Fowl (Dutch translation) by Eoin Colfer (buddy read). It's been a bit of a hectic day so not sure what more I'll get done. Next up on the list is the next Deathnote volume for me to read (Volume 5).

Happy reading to everyone who is reading this weekend :)!

2 hours ago, Athena said:

So far today I have read 67 pages of Artemis Fowl 1

Ooh, I hope you like Artemis Fowl 1. I loved this one, as it was a great storyline, especially the "little people" of Ireland .....and Holly is a wonderful character. :)

Edited by Marie H

14 hours ago, Marie H said:

Ooh, I hope you like Artemis Fowl 1. I loved this one, as it was a great storyline, especially the "little people" of Ireland .....and Holly is a wonderful character. :)

Thank you! I'm really liking it so far :). I love Holly! I plan to read more in it today (we're reading 3 chapters each day).

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oooh I nearly forgot! I haven’t picked Wyrd Sisters back up for a while so I think I’ll try to finish that this weekend :). Happy reading everyone!

I hope you enjoy reading more in Wyrd Sisters :).

Yesterday in the evening I read Deathnote Volume 5 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata (201 pages). Artemis Fowl 1 was 62 pages, not 67 (can't read my own hand writing :lol:).

Well done! I hope the magazines were interesting :).

Yesterday I read:

Artemis Fowl 1: Artemis Fowl (Dutch translation) by Eoin Colfer (buddy read), 90 pages.

Fruits Basket CE 11: Volume 11 (Volumes 21 & 22) by Natsuki Takaya, 389 pages.

Fruits Basket CE 12: Volume 12 (Volume 23 & Bonus) by Natsuki Takaya, 356 pages.

Deathnote 6: Volume 6 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, 216 pages.

Which is more than I thought I would read. I had unexpectedly lesser access to other things I could do, so I read more instead.

On Sunday I read:

Artemis Fowl 1: Artemis Fowl (Dutch translation) by Eoin Colfer (buddy read), 112 pages.

Deathnote 7: Volume 7 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, 211 pages.

Deathnote 8: Volume 8 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, 200 pages.

How did everyone else do?

The June read-a-thon takes place on the 5th, 6th and 7th of June (Fri-Sat-Sun).

Edited by Athena

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, karen.d said:

Hi! Who is taking part in this month's read-a-thon? I can't believe how quickly the month has gone!

3 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yikes! I had completely forgotten about this again. But I will be in the read-a-thon for June.

May has gone fast, I agree!

The June read-a-thon is not this weekend, but the weekend after, so in about one week's time. I look forward to it. Happy to have you both joining :)!

I'll have reading time this weekend, as the weather has gone chilly! :o

Not sure what books to read yet, but there are a few which are currently on my treebooks TBR list.