Read-a-thon 2020

Athena

21 hours ago, karen.d said:

Count me in for the read-a-thon! I've just started 'Harbour Street' by Ann Cleeves, which I am reading as a buddy read. This weekend I can dedicate to reading that.

Yay! I hope you enjoy Harbour Street :).

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

Me too! It took me ages to finish my last book (The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock - it took me so long I was reading it during the last read-a-thon!) but I finally finished it yesterday so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some new things. I'm hoping I can finish False Value, the new Ben Aaronovitch book :)

Wow! That is a long time. Was it a long or tedious book, or were you just too busy to spend a lot of time reading? I hope you enjoy reading some new things :)!

I'm not sure how much reading I'll get done this weekend. We're going to be painting in what will be my room in the new house, so I don't think I'll have much time to read in the weekend. But maybe today :). If not, that's okay too, and I'll read more next week :).

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

Me too! It took me ages to finish my last book (The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock - it took me so long I was reading it during the last read-a-thon!) but I finally finished it yesterday so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some new things. I'm hoping I can finish False Value, the new Ben Aaronovitch book :)

Was 'The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock' good? Have a good read-a-thon!

11 hours ago, Athena said:

Wow! That is a long time. Was it a long or tedious book, or were you just too busy to spend a lot of time reading? I hope you enjoy reading some new things :)!

10 hours ago, karen.d said:

Was 'The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock' good? Have a good read-a-thon!

I do think it was a good book overall, but it has a very slow pace, with lots of description and not a great deal of plot progression for large chunks. I did lose the motivation to read it at one point (because I just really couldn't see where it was going and I strongly suspected it was all just leading up to a romance) but I'm glad I carried on because the ending was more interesting than I expected. I will get round to reviewing it soon!

Thank you @karen.d, you too! And thank you too @Athena, I hope you enjoy some reading and painting too! What colour have you chosen for your room? :)

22 hours ago, karen.d said:

Thank you! I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm glad to hear it :)!

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

I do think it was a good book overall, but it has a very slow pace, with lots of description and not a great deal of plot progression for large chunks. I did lose the motivation to read it at one point (because I just really couldn't see where it was going and I strongly suspected it was all just leading up to a romance) but I'm glad I carried on because the ending was more interesting than I expected. I will get round to reviewing it soon!

I look forward to read your review :). Well done at persisting with it!

Thank you @karen.d, you too! And thank you too @Athena, I hope you enjoy some reading and painting too! What colour have you chosen for your room? :)

Blue and purple (and two shades in between, light blue and light purple) :)! If I remember, I'll try to take a picture when it's done.

Yesterday I read 3 pages in The Void Trilogy 1: The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton (re-read), finishing off a section. I read 208 pages in Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams, finishing it off (I actually stayed up late to finish it!I don't usually do that).

On Saturday I read:

71 pages of The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials 2 by Philip Pullman) (buddy read), finishing it

136 pages of Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper, finishing it

194 pages of Moederen met autisme by Sigrid Landman, finishing it

These were all books I started to read a while ago. I still have more books that I started 3 weeks ago and haven't finished yet, I hope to make some progress on some of them today. I do want to read my usual read-a-thon reads at some point, but I'd rather finish off some more books that I already started, first.

I hope @Hayley and @karen.d that your weekend is going well also :).

On 3/8/2020 at 8:13 AM, Athena said:

On Saturday I read:

71 pages of The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials 2 by Philip Pullman) (buddy read), finishing it

136 pages of Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper, finishing it

194 pages of Moederen met autisme by Sigrid Landman, finishing it

These were all books I started to read a while ago. I still have more books that I started 3 weeks ago and haven't finished yet, I hope to make some progress on some of them today. I do want to read my usual read-a-thon reads at some point, but I'd rather finish off some more books that I already started, first.

I hope @Hayley and @karen.d that your weekend is going well also :).

I had a good time this weekend reading! Here's my progress:

Friday: 'Harbour Street'- Ann Cleeves 103 pages

Saturday:'Harbour Street' 16 Pages

'Notes on a Nervous Planet'- Matt Haig: 186 pages (I finished this book)

Sunday: 'Harbour Street' 26 pages

Total Pages Read: 331 Pages

I decided to mix up my reads this read-a-thon and really enjoyed both books for different reasons. 

28 minutes ago, karen.d said:

I had a good time this weekend reading! Here's my progress:

Friday: 'Harbour Street'- Ann Cleeves 103 pages

Saturday:'Harbour Street' 16 Pages

'Notes on a Nervous Planet'- Matt Haig: 186 pages (I finished this book)

Sunday: 'Harbour Street' 26 pages

Total Pages Read: 331 Pages

I decided to mix up my reads this read-a-thon and really enjoyed both books for different reasons.

I'm glad you really enjoyed both books :D!! Well done!!

My Sunday progress:

255 pages of Can You See Me? by Libby Scott and Rebecca Westcott, finishing it.

I'm really pleased with my progress. I didn't expect I'd be able to read much this weekend, but I did manage to get some reading time in :D. The painting of my wall went well. I would like to post some pictures, but am not sure what would be the right place.. maybe I'll post them in my reading log.

Glad you both had such a good read-a-thon! I ended up reading about a quarter of False Value (maybe a little bit more, I forgot to check the page number!). I had a more hectic weekend than I expected. My niece (who’s 14 and comes to my house after school) was attacked by another girl in the middle of the day on Friday. She was fine, luckily. But obviously Friday was taken up by that and then on Sunday I spent most of the day shopping and playing sims with her. 

On 09/03/2020 at 12:57 PM, Athena said:

The painting of my wall went well. I would like to post some pictures, but am not sure what would be the right place.. maybe I'll post them in my reading log.

The colours you chose sound lovely and relaxing (also purple is my favourite colour :lol:). I’d love to see a picture! We really should have a general thread for these sort of things shouldn’t we, I might go and put one up now! 

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

Glad you both had such a good read-a-thon! I ended up reading about a quarter of False Value (maybe a little bit more, I forgot to check the page number!). I had a more hectic weekend than I expected. My niece (who’s 14 and comes to my house after school) was attacked by another girl in the middle of the day on Friday. She was fine, luckily. But obviously Friday was taken up by that and then on Sunday I spent most of the day shopping and playing sims with her. 

I'm glad your niece is okay!!

The colours you chose sound lovely and relaxing (also purple is my favourite colour :lol:). I’d love to see a picture! We really should have a general thread for these sort of things shouldn’t we, I might go and put one up now! 

I love that purple is your favourite colour!

I posted pictures in my bookish log here (scroll down a bit). I'll check out the new thread!

The next read-a-thon takes place on April 3rd, 4th and 5th.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I completely forgot the read-a-thon is this weekend :doh:. I'm happy to have you all joining! I hope you all get some reading done :).

I'm currently reading 7 chapters a day of When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon, which I'm reading together with a friend/acquaintance. So I should read about 50ish pages of it today (Friday), and on Saturday and on Sunday (depending on the length of the chapters, I'm estimating). Next to that I'm reading Humble Pi by Matt Parker. Its page count is in reverse (sort of!), so I'm going to have to work out the amount of pages I read. Prior to the read-a-thon, I'm on page 130 (it started on page 314), so I might be able to finish it this weekend if I read 130 pages plus a few more at the end of that (it's kinda genious how the page counts are done, but you have to read the book in order to understand what I mean).

1 hour ago, karen.d said:

I'm just about to start continuing 'The Angel's Gane' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I still haven't finished this from the last read-a-thon!

If I remember, my copy of it is huge, so it probably has a lot of pages. I hope you are enjoying it!

I read 46 pages of When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon, finishing today's chapters.

Starting 3 new books today

Nabari No Ou #1 and The Royal Tutor #13 (both manga) 

Pied Piper by Neville Shute

Happy reading everyone  :)

I forgot the read-a-thon was this weekend too! I'm very time / date confused at the moment.

I'm definitely going to finish Murder on the Orient Express today and then I might start Things in Jars by Jess Kidd but I'll see how I feel!

3 hours ago, karen.d said:

I'm just about to start continuing 'The Angel's Gane' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I still haven't finished this from the last read-a-thon!

How are you finding it!?

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

I forgot the read-a-thon was this weekend too! I'm very time / date confused at the moment.

I'm definitely going to finish Murder on the Orient Express today and then I might start Things in Jars by Jess Kidd but I'll see how I feel!

How are you finding it!?

Now I've got into it, it's good. Not as good as the first book in the series 'The Shadow of the Wind' but that might change the more I read. How are getting on with your read?

35 minutes ago, karen.d said:

Now I've got into it, it's good. Not as good as the first book in the series 'The Shadow of the Wind' but that might change the more I read. How are getting on with your read?

That’s exactly how I felt about it at first too. Very different atmosphere isn’t it? When I read the next book though I was like ‘wow, that was really clever’. 

I finished Murder on the the Orient Express and I really enjoyed it! I know it’s about a murder but I actually found it quite relaxing! I definitely want to read more Agatha Christie.

20 hours ago, Marie H said:

Starting 3 new books today

Nabari No Ou #1 and The Royal Tutor #13 (both manga) 

Pied Piper by Neville Shute

Happy reading everyone  :)

I hope you enjoy all of these!

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I feel a bit the same!

12 hours ago, karen.d said:

I'm glad it's good :).

I finished Murder on the the Orient Express and I really enjoyed it! I know it’s about a murder but I actually found it quite relaxing! I definitely want to read more Agatha Christie.

Oooh Murder on the Orient Express is my favourite Agatha Christie book I've read so far (I've only read a couple, so it doesn't say that much :lol: but..). I really liked it.

Aside from my 46 pages in When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon (see earlier post in this thread), I also read 120 pages of Humble Pi by Matt Parker yesterday. I don't have a lot of pages left in the book to read (I estimate about 25ish), but I kind of got distracted and played Final Fantasy XV instead (I started it a couple of days ago).

Happy reading, everyone :readingtwo:!

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Oooh Murder on the Orient Express is my favourite Agatha Christie book I've read so far (I've only read a couple, so it doesn't say that much :lol: but..). I really liked it.

Aside from my 46 pages in When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon (see earlier post in this thread), I also read 120 pages of Humble Pi by Matt Parker yesterday. I don't have a lot of pages left in the book to read (I estimate about 25ish), but I kind of got distracted and played Final Fantasy XV instead (I started it a couple of days ago).

Happy reading, everyone :readingtwo:!

It was so cleverly constructed! I loved the ending.

It sounds like your reading is going well! Happy reading to you too! :lol:

I decided I didn't want to start a completely new novel last night because I was quite tired (I don't know why, I barely did anything all day...)  so I started re-reading Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters and got through about 45 pages.

Managed 2 hours reading yesterday, which is rather poor as I have very little to do at the mo! :blush:

I hope to read most of this afternoon.

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

That’s exactly how I felt about it at first too. Very different atmosphere isn’t it? When I read the next book though I was like ‘wow, that was really clever’. 

This book is growing on me now!

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

I decided I didn't want to start a completely new novel last night because I was quite tired (I don't know why, I barely did anything all day...)  so I started re-reading Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters and got through about 45 pages.

I really enjoyed Wyrd Sisters, I hope you enjoy your re-read of it :).

18 hours ago, Marie H said:

Managed 2 hours reading yesterday, which is rather poor as I have very little to do at the mo! :blush:

I hope to read most of this afternoon.

I hope you were able to do some reading and that you had fun :).

14 hours ago, karen.d said:

This book is growing on me now!

Yay!

Yesterday I read:

40 pages of When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

29 pages of Humble Pi by Matt Parker (finishing it)

44 pages of The Evolutionary Void (The Void Trilogy 3) by Peter F. Hamilton (re-read)

15 pages of Wegens familieomstandigheden gesloten by Sigrid Landman

13 pages of What If? by Randall Munroe

204 pages of Deathnote Volume 4 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takashi Obata (finishing it)

Happy reading today!!