Read-a-thon 2020

Athena

Just a reminder that the February read-a-thon will take place on the 7th, 8th and 9th of February. So not this upcoming weekend (it's Friday end of the afternoon here right now), but the weekend after that (the first Friday in February). It'll be a busy weekend for me.. but I'm planning to do a bit of reading at least (I'm going to read a book together with a group of friends).

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have much higher hopes for my reading progress in the February read-a-thon! I've barely read anything at all in January because I've been finishing a huge piece of work, but it's done as of today so I'm looking forward to really getting back to reading! 

Do you already know which book you're reading @Athena?

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I have much higher hopes for my reading progress in the February read-a-thon! I've barely read anything at all in January because I've been finishing a huge piece of work, but it's done as of today so I'm looking forward to really getting back to reading!

I hope you have good reading progress in the February read-a-thon :)!

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

Do you already know which book you're reading @Athena?

Yes, I'll be reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton :).

Looking forward to it! I haven't decided what I will be reading yet. I've got about 100ish pages left of 'Little Women', so hopefully I would have finished that before the read-a-thon, so I can choose a new book.

18 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thank you! I have The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle on my kindle, I hope you enjoy it :) 

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Please let us know what you think of it!  I've waffled rapturously more than a few times about this novel.  It's so good.  :) 

I'll be sure to post about it when I've read it :). I hope I'll like it :).

13 hours ago, karen.d said:

Looking forward to it! I haven't decided what I will be reading yet. I've got about 100ish pages left of 'Little Women', so hopefully I would have finished that before the read-a-thon, so I can choose a new book.

I hope you'll be able to finish Little Women in time before the read-a-thon so you can start with a new book :).

22 hours ago, karen.d said:

You too! 

Thank you :)!

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

Happy reading both! I’m not at home today but I’ve optimistically bought both my book (Soot by Andrew Martin) and my kindle, in case I can finish it. Looking forward to treating myself to a LOT of reading time this weekend!

I hope you have lots of reading time this weekend :)!

I read 52 pages in The Seven (1/2) Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton yesterday (we're supposed to read about 50 pages a day, ending on a chapter end). I didn't read in Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand. I read about 5 pages while at the new house (my grandparents came by to see it), the rest I read in the evening when we were back home. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of reading today either (my brother and his fiancée are coming by), hopefully at least my 50-ish pages though. Maybe a bit more reading on Sunday.

Yesterday I read 49(ish) pages in The Seven (1/2) Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. I again didn't have time and energy to read in anything else. I've decided I want to finish Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand, before I start any new books (I'm just over halfway through, I think. But my buddy read takes priority as we need to read about 50 pages each day). I do plan on reading Fruits Basket CE Volume 10, Komi Can't Communicate Volume 2 and Death Note Volume 2, sometime soon this month.

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

What do you think of The Seven (1/2) Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle so far @Athena?

I'm liking it so far! The only thing I'm not liking, is the fatphobia. Other than that, I think the story is really interesting as are the characters. It is a bit of a slower-paced book so not for everyone but I'm liking it and I'm intrigued to read more of it.

21 hours ago, Hayley said:

I finished Soot on Friday and (after spending ages trying to decide what to read next) started The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock last night.

I'm glad you did some nice reading :).

Yesterday I read 46 pages of The Seven (1/2) Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, and 175 pages in Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand, finishing that book. I liked Sawkill Girls, it's different from what I normally read but it was a good creepy read :).

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm liking it so far! The only thing I'm not liking, is the fatphobia. 

That's interesting, because I've read that comment before.  Personally, I don't see it as being fatphobic.  One of the characters is morbidly obese -- and suddenly the protagonist finds himself inhabiting that body.  The narrative is more about him attempting to deal with the limitations and frustrations of being in such a frame.  He's out of breath, barely able to walk more than a few steps.  He needs help to bathe, etc.  Imagine being suddenly thrust into that situation, and how you might deal with it.  It read fairly to me.

15 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm liking it so far! The only thing I'm not liking, is the fatphobia. Other than that, I think the story is really interesting as are the characters. It is a bit of a slower-paced book so not for everyone but I'm liking it and I'm intrigued to read more of it.

I'm glad you did some nice reading :).

Yesterday I read 46 pages of The Seven (1/2) Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, and 175 pages in Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand, finishing that book. I liked Sawkill Girls, it's different from what I normally read but it was a good creepy read :).

Thats good to know because I imagined it would be fairly fast paced! Glad you enjoyed Sawkill Girls, I don’t usually go for creepy reads either but I read a few last year and loved them all!

I randomly really felt like reading Terry Pratchett yesterday, so instead of The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock I read 111 pages of Sourcery (and it was SO good, I forgot how much I love that book!)

I’m pretty happy with my progress this read-a-thon :)

Here's my update for this weekend's read-a-thin. I managed to read 127 pages of 'The Coffin Dancer' by Jeffery Deaver. It's not as many pages as I would have liked to have read, but I was a bit under the weather. I still really enjoyed (and am still really enjoying) this book.

17 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

That's interesting, because I've read that comment before.  Personally, I don't see it as being fatphobic.  One of the characters is morbidly obese -- and suddenly the protagonist finds himself inhabiting that body.  The narrative is more about him attempting to deal with the limitations and frustrations of being in such a frame.  He's out of breath, barely able to walk more than a few steps.  He needs help to bathe, etc.  Imagine being suddenly thrust into that situation, and how you might deal with it.  It read fairly to me.

I hadn't thought of it that way.

9 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thats good to know because I imagined it would be fairly fast paced! Glad you enjoyed Sawkill Girls, I don’t usually go for creepy reads either but I read a few last year and loved them all!

I randomly really felt like reading Terry Pratchett yesterday, so instead of The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock I read 111 pages of Sourcery (and it was SO good, I forgot how much I love that book!)

I’m pretty happy with my progress this read-a-thon :)

I'm glad re-reading Sourcery was great! I really liked it when I read it.

37 minutes ago, karen.d said:

Here's my update for this weekend's read-a-thin. I managed to read 127 pages of 'The Coffin Dancer' by Jeffery Deaver. It's not as many pages as I would have liked to have read, but I was a bit under the weather. I still really enjoyed (and am still really enjoying) this book.

I'm sorry you've been feeling under the weather. I'm glad you're enjoying your book though! I hope you feel better soon :).

2 hours ago, karen.d said:

I'm glad you're enjoying The Coffin Dancer (I just looked it up and it does sound good!) and I hope you feel better soon!

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm glad you're enjoying The Coffin Dancer (I just looked it up and it does sound good!) and I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you! I LOVED the first book on this series 'The Bone Collector' and wanted to give this one a try. It's good so far.

5 hours ago, Athena said:

I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm glad re-reading Sourcery was great! I really liked it when I read it.

I'm sorry you've been feeling under the weather. I'm glad you're enjoying your book though! I hope you feel better soon :).

Thank you! I am feeling much better 

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/12/2019 at 3:03 PM, Athena said:
March: 6th, 7th, 8th

The upcoming March read-a-thon takes place next weekend (6, 7, 8 March). I'm still in the middle of reading a number of books, and for the read-a-thon I would like to at least read the next Fruits Basket CE volume, the next Komi Can't Communicate volume and the next Deathnote volume.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:05 AM, Athena said:

The upcoming March read-a-thon takes place next weekend (6, 7, 8 March). I'm still in the middle of reading a number of books, and for the read-a-thon I would like to at least read the next Fruits Basket CE volume, the next Komi Can't Communicate volume and the next Deathnote volume.

Count me in for the read-a-thon! I've just started 'Harbour Street' by Ann Cleeves, which I am reading as a buddy read. This weekend I can dedicate to reading that.

Me too! It took me ages to finish my last book (The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock - it took me so long I was reading it during the last read-a-thon!) but I finally finished it yesterday so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some new things. I'm hoping I can finish False Value, the new Ben Aaronovitch book :)