Karen.d's Reading List 2020

karen.d

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Hi Karen! Nice to see you around again! I'm glad you are feeling a bit better :).

Thank you! I'm slowly getting back into things that I used to enjoy, so I hope to be putting a lot more book reviews up shortly.

What the ‘Blurb’ says:

‘Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their flat, she has to move miles away from everyone, to a sleepy little seaside resort in Cornwall, where she lives alone above an abandoned shop.

And so Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby: making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes . . . And people start to hear about it.

Sometimes, bread really is life . . . And Polly is about to reclaim hers.’

My Thoughts:

During lock down, I had a very bad time mentally; you can read about that in my post here. So, I decided to join the ‘Bon Marche’ book club on Facebook to take my mind off of things and ‘The Little Beach Street Bakery’, was their first group read.

Whilst everyone else in the group is probably on the third or fourth read by now, I’ve only just finished reading ‘The Little Beach Street Bakery’. That doesn’t mean that this is a bad book.That also doesn’t mean that it didn’t have flaws, it has a few, but I will get to that later.

What I did like the most, was the main character, Polly. Polly is a believable, likable and strong woman and I wanted her to succeed. I also adored the descriptions of the calm fishing village this book is set it. In the stressful times of lockdown, when I read this, I could imagine myself in the calm seaside setting of this book.

I also enjoyed the book’s gentle humour and in particular, I loved Neil the Puffin, but you will have to read this book, to find out where he fits into the story!

The only two characters, which for me, almost spoiled the book, were Polly’s best friend Kerensa and another character, Reuben. They were completely over the top and totally unbelievable and, in some of the later scenes in the book, I had to take a star off this book, because of what happens to them.

The story itself, was quite predictable. Although I have to say, the sub plot with the local fishing trade, was very emotional.

Whether it was predictable or not, doesn’t matter though, in my opinion.

When I read this book, it was like being wrapped up in a warm, comfy blanket and, for a while, despite everything that was going on in real life, it felt like everything was going to be all right.

If you’re having a bad day and want a book to escape into, I’d recommend ‘The Little Beach Street Bakery’.

I look forward to reading more in this series, because the first installment, was so heartwarming and made me feel good when I read it.

My Rating ***