Athena's Reading List 2020

Athena

It's a bit early to reflect on my goals, but.. I felt like commenting on them today.

On 28/12/2019 at 8:31 PM, Athena said:

Bookish Goals 2020

I don't think I'll be reading as much in 2020, as in earlier years (for reasons I can't disclose yet, but will be able to soon). So I don't have a specific goal for reading a certain amount of books or pages.

I read more than in some years, less than in others. I consider this goal well done ✅.

I plan on spending a lot less money on books in 2020 (for financial reasons).

I did really well some months, but not well during others, so.. nope... ❎. I guess I could call it ✅ ❎ half met, but.. I think overall I failed this goal.

I plan on going to the library more often.

I failed this goal ❎, though it was not my fault! With the global pandemic, I haven't been able to go to the library. I'm not going much to other places either, for obvious reasons. So, goal failed, but once the pandemic is over / there is a vaccin / cure / etc. I definitely will be going to the library as I really miss it. In fact I paid my library card yearly fee a couple of weeks ago, and I have not gone to the library since I paid the previous year's fee in November 2019. I really hope 2021 will see a vaccin or multiple vaccins and that the pandemic will have disappeared so that everyone who is able to, can go safely to shops, family, work, travel, etc.

I also want to read quite a few books off my TBR.

Being unable to go to the library this year, almost all of the books I read were from my TBR. Exceptions are re-reads and a few books my partner owns that I borrowed from him. So, this goal is well done ✅.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/11/2020 at 8:50 AM, Athena said:

I failed this goal ❎, though it was not my fault! With the global pandemic, I haven't been able to go to the library. I'm not going much to other places either, for obvious reasons. So, goal failed, but once the pandemic is over / there is a vaccin / cure / etc. I definitely will be going to the library as I really miss it. In fact I paid my library card yearly fee a couple of weeks ago, and I have not gone to the library since I paid the previous year's fee in November 2019. I really hope 2021 will see a vaccin or multiple vaccins and that the pandemic will have disappeared so that everyone who is able to, can go safely to shops, family, work, travel, etc.

You are definitely allowed to get away with this one! I'd say it's more of a 'not applicable' than a fail. Fingers crossed for lots of library visits in 2021 :) 

Being unable to go to the library this year, almost all of the books I read were from my TBR. Exceptions are re-reads and a few books my partner owns that I borrowed from him. So, this goal is well done ✅.

This is one positive of not being able to go out much this year!

Yes, not going to the library has meant I have worked reducing Mount TBR this year too. :)

On 08/12/2020 at 9:38 PM, Hayley said:

You are definitely allowed to get away with this one! I'd say it's more of a 'not applicable' than a fail. Fingers crossed for lots of library visits in 2021 :)

Thank you Hayley! I hope so :).

On 08/12/2020 at 9:38 PM, Hayley said:

This is one positive of not being able to go out much this year!

True :).

21 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yes, not going to the library has meant I have worked reducing Mount TBR this year too. :)

Well done to you too :)!

Are Dutch libraries still closed then?  We've been open, for online reservations and then click and collect, since the beginning of July. As has the Leeds subscription library. Even over lockdown, I had some 20-odd books out to keep me going!

On 12/12/2020 at 1:26 AM, willoyd said:

Are Dutch libraries still closed then?  We've been open, for online reservations and then click and collect, since the beginning of July. As has the Leeds subscription library. Even over lockdown, I had some 20-odd books out to keep me going!

They were closed for some months, then opened for a while, and now they are closed again (as cases are going up again since a few months). But even while they were open, I didn't think it would be worth the risk. I would have liked to go, but it is not a necessary life-and-death kind of thing (lunlike for example, getting my medication from the pharmacy machine) so I thought it better to not go and wait until 2021 when hopefully things will be safer as people get vaccinated etc. I do have books of my own to read, but for certain Dutch books/authors and genres, I would use the library. I did go to the supermarket nearby a little while ago (it has been rebuilt and I had not been there in at least several months), and found that some of the customers were not wearing masks and not social distancing. I felt really unsafe there, I was wearing a mask but I did not like those unmasked people getting so close to me and giving me no space to distance myself from them. It seems to really depend on the area and the people, in some areas it is gladly better. But while cases are still high, I don't want to risk it and would rather go hopefully some time in the second half of 2021 when hopefully a lot of people have been vaccinated. I have books of my own to read, so, while I do miss reading certain series, authors, etc, I am glad I still have lots of options as to what to read.

On 15/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, Athena said:

They were closed for some months, then opened for a while, and now they are closed again (as cases are going up again since a few months). But even while they were open, I didn't think it would be worth the risk....

Public libraries round here are only open for 'click and collect'. The library network has its catalogue on line, and one can go on and order books from that (I'm surethat's pretty much the same everywhere!). The library itself is currently only open to staff (our local library is part of the bigger network, but is run as a community library, and I'm one of the largely volunteer staff), who process orders and put them out on a table in the entrance for collection. We're operating with just two of us in the library at a time to ensure staff distancing.. Returned books are quarantined for 72 hours before being handled. So the library is still operating, but all socially distanced, cleaned etc.  I'm also a member of the Leeds Library, a subscription library, and that is open, but with some pretty strict limitations.

Having said all that, I've got loads (into 4 figures!) of books on my shelves to read, so am not exactly short!

Edited by willoyd

On 16/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, willoyd said:

Public libraries round here are only open for 'click and collect'. The library network has its catalogue on line, and one can go on and order books from that (I'm surethat's pretty much the same everywhere!). The library itself is currently only open to staff (our local library is part of the bigger network, but is run as a community library, and I'm one of the largely volunteer staff), who process orders and put them out on a table in the entrance for collection. We're operating with just two of us in the library at a time to ensure staff distancing.. Returned books are quarantined for 72 hours before being handled. So the library is still operating, but all socially distanced, cleaned etc.  I'm also a member of the Leeds Library, a subscription library, and that is open, but with some pretty strict limitations.

It's interesting to hear how public libraries in your area function now! Ours was shut from March to June I believe, open from June to November but with restrictions (you can order up to 5 books, there was also a mystery bag thing, in which you choose a genre and the library staff picks out 5 books of that genre) and now it is closed again (lockdown 5 weeks ends on 19th of January, though it may be extended). But even when they were open with restrictions, I decided I'd rather not take the risk. I have people nearby me who fall in risk categories. I was thinking about going, but then the library had to shut again because our government announced lockdown. Hopefully in 2021, once some people have been vaccinated, things will get better. Thanks for your reply!

On 16/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, willoyd said:

Having said all that, I've got loads (into 4 figures!) of books on my shelves to read, so am not exactly short!

Same!

On 16/12/2020 at 10:30 PM, willoyd said:

Public libraries round here are only open for 'click and collect'. The library network has its catalogue on line, and one can go on and order books from that (I'm surethat's pretty much the same everywhere!).

Our county libraries are doing the same and I haven't used it since they were closed at the start of the year. Although I didn't use the library a huge amount I did used to pop in about once a week and I'm really missing not being able to drop in when I feel like it.

I glad I'm not the only one with a 4 digit TBR. I'm in good company with you and Gaia, and I suspect there are more of us throughout the BCF community.

On 19/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, Brian. said:

I glad I'm not the only one with a 4 digit TBR. I'm in good company with you and Gaia, and I suspect there are more of us throughout the BCF community.

On 19/12/2020 at 5:41 PM, Madeleine said:

Another 4 digit, multiple TBR holder here!

I'm glad it's not just me and Willoyd, both of you, welcome to the club!

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2019 at 8:22 PM, Athena said:

Books read in December 2020

275. Sylvain Neuvel - The Themis Files 3: Only Human
276. Sylvain Neuvel - The Themis Files 2.5: File No. 1743

302. Caroline Dooner - The F*., It Diet

The forum censored the title of book #302 :lol: (which has an F, c and k in it as well as an asterisk), so I've written it down like this now (because 'The hmmm Diet' doesn't really say much!).