Athena's Reading List 2020

Athena

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket CE 10 (19-20): Volume 10

I didn't enjoy this one as much as some of the earlier ones. There were some really good parts but also some parts that confused me or bored me a bit. It was still okay but I hope the last two CE editions (11 and 12, or 21-22 and 23-24) will be more enjoyable.

Tomohito Oda - Komi Can't Communicate 2: Volume 2

I really enjoyed this next volume. I laughed out loud a few times. The kidnapping plot was a bit weird and a one-step-too-far thing for me though.

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 2: Volume 2

Another enjoyable Deathnote volume. I recognised the story from the anime and really enjoyed reading the original manga volume.

Erin Stewart - Scars Like Wings

YA contemporary fiction novel about a teenage girl who is a burn survivor. She was in a fire, she survived but her parents and cousin passed away. A year after that, her aunt and uncle (parents of the cousin who passed away), say she has to go to high school again. Because of how she looks (burned), she's afraid she will be bullied.

Stuart Turton - The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

This is a mystery novel. I read it together with a couple of friends, we read about 50 pages most days. It's a bit difficult to explain the plot of this one, basically our main character is trying to solve the murder of Evelyn Hardcastle. At times this book was slow-paced, but that's okay with me when I'm in the mood for it (and I was). Between all the busy-ness of the past while (with having my own house and preparing it), it was nice to escape into this mystery every day for the past week / week and a half. The ending was a bit weird and silly, but mostly I enjoyed this mystery a lot.

Vivian vande Velde - 23 Minuten (23 Minutes)

This is a YA thriller about a teenage girl who can turn back time for 23 minutes, she has 10 attempts to change the outcome of a bank robbery (which turns into a shooting), to prevent victims from dying. It was a short book, 208 pages, and I read it in an afternoon. It was a nice read.

The Dutch cover though, does not match the story. I feel like the cover designer did not read the book, as the girl on the cover has blonde hair whereas in the book it is clearly stated, several times, that the main character died her hair blue.

Merlien Welzijn - Slim Koken

This is a budget cook book (ish) that I was gifted. It has recipes but also some more general tips. I skipped reading the recipes fully that I was not interested in (ie. because the dish involves a big ingredient that I don't like or that I'm allergic to). I enjoyed the general tips and some of the recipes seem interesting. It was a nice read.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading lots of books at once (it's my ADD, my brain does this from time to time. Usually I prefer to just read one book at once). I did manage to finish 2 short books though (while still reading the other ones).

Mel Wallis de Vries - Fout

This is a YA thriller novella about a teenage girl who finds herself tied to a tree when she wakes up. It was an enjoyable read.

Anna Woltz (ill. Maartje Kuiper) - Haaientanden

This is an illustrated children's book you got for free in "children's book week" (2019) when you spent over €12,50 on Dutch children's books. I found it at the charity shop and bought it. It's about a girl who's on a bicycle adventure (for more serious reasons than you'd maybe think) and she meets a boy who has his own reasons for running away. I enjoyed it.

The other books I'm reading, are:

Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 1: The Dreaming Void (re-read)

Candice Carty-Williams - Queenie

Rosanne Hertzberger - Ode aan de E-nummers (borrowed from my parents who were gifted it, not sure if they want to read it)

Tomi Adeyemi - Legacy of Orïsha 2: Children of Virtue and Vengeance

Libby Scott and Rebecca Westcott - Can You See Me?

Sharon M. Draper - Out of My Mind

Deb Caletti - A Heart in a Body in the World

Sigrid Landman - Moederen met Autisme

Dorothy Koomson - The Flavours of Love

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - Good Omens

12 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oh wow, that is a lot of books! I've heard good things about Queenie, what do you think of it so far?

It's good so far! I think I'm maybe 25% through. I left the book at my new house (going back there later today), so I can't check right now how far I am. I'm liking the character of Queenie a lot but am less keen on some of the side characters (but then, you're not supposed to like those specific people!). The writing is nice so far.

Rosanne Hertzberger - Ode aan de E-nummers

This was an interesting read, about food additives and other things (sorry, I don't quite know the English translation for some terms!). I feel the author wrote for a mainstream audience (which I'm not) and wish she'd gone a bit more indepth in certain things. But overall a nice read, I learnt some things.

Recent reads.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - Good Omens

I watched the TV show first, then decided to read the book. The book has been on my shelves for many years, but I never read it until this year. The TV show, which I really loved, got me to pick up the book. I'm glad I saw the TV show first to be honest, because the original book is a bit dated by now. The original book was published in 1990, and contains some offensive jokes (particularly towards certain minority groups, ie. racist jokes, homophobic jokes, and more). The original book still contains a lot of humour if you ignore the offensive jokes, but I loved how the TV show much improved on it. I also think that if I'd read the book on its own, I would have got confused a few times. Some parts only made sense, because of the much clearer scenes in the TV show. I also loved how the TV show had more characters of colour and more female characters, and a non-binary character. I did enjoy reading the book, but it has dated and I'm glad the TV show was so amazing. The book is about an angel and a demon who try to prevent the apocalypse, pretty much.

Candice Carty-Williams - Queenie

This is a YA contemporary fiction about a British-Jamaican teenage girl / woman and all the struggle she has. I enjoyed reading this book. I think I would have enjoyed it more, had I not been reading it alongside 10-ish other books but instead gave it more focus instead of spending sometimes a day or two days not reading in it, and just reading one or two chapters in it, on other days. It was a nice read though.

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials 2: The Subtle Knife

This was a buddy read with 3 friends. We all loved this book. This is the second book in the trilogy and it was really enjoyable (it's a middle-grade fantasy I would say). I got into it pretty much straight away and it was really enjoyable and had many plot twists.

Sharon M. Draper - Out of My Mind

This is a middle-grade contemporary fiction book about a girl with cerebral palsy. She has lots of thoughts and a big internal word, but she can't speak and is in a wheelchair and can't move much. She gets bullied at school. She gets a computer that helps her speak, later on in the book, and this was such an amazing read. It came recommended to me by a friend/acquaintance of mine, whose sister has a physical disability and is in a wheelchair. My friend/acquaintance said she loved this book, and I did too (I'm not sure if her sister has read it, I haven't asked that). It was so emotional and heartbreaking and I loved it so much.

Sigrid Landman - Moederen met Autisme 1: Moederen met Autisme

This is a memoir written by an autistic mother with an autistic daughter (and she has an autistic husband). And the beginning of the book, she doesn't know that any of them are autistic though. The book is about her journey in finding out she is autistic and how she has trouble taking care of her baby (the daughter). I actually read the 'sequel' to this book last year, from the library. I loved it so much I decided to buy all of the author's books (most non-fiction, one fiction) and so now I read the first book (her debut). I plan to re-read the second book soon. The author has a strong Christian belief which plays a role in the book. It's not something I share, it was okay to read about. I did find the book a really good and interesting read.

Libby Scott and Rebecca Westcott - Can You See Me? 1: Can You See Me?

This is a middle-grade contemporary fiction novel about an autistic girl named Tally. She gets bullied at school for being different. It was recommended by an autistic blogger and author. I love reading Own Voices books about autistic characters and recognising myself in them, and I loved this book. Partway through reading this book I found out on Twitter that there's going to be a sequel released soon. Which obviously I want to read. I really loved this book.

For those who are interested, I will now post some pictures of the wall I painted last weekend, in my new house. It's a wall in what will be my room, it will have my book shelves and my desk & computer. The other 3 walls are white as they will mostly have bookcases against them so you won't see them that much. But this wall will have my desk against it, and so you will see it a lot, so I chose to do something colourful with it that I like. Pictures coming up!

The wall as it was:

20200229_144410.jpg

Note: the tape is where some book cases may go.

Other side of the room:

20200229_144327.jpg

Back to the wall.

Layer 1:

20200307_112925_0.5.jpg

Layer 2:

20200307_142123_0.5.jpg

Layer 3:

20200308_123946_0.5.jpg

Layer 4 (final one):

20200308_150901_0.5.jpg

Close-up of a section of the wall:

20200308_150927_0.5.jpg

I'm super happy with how it turned out :D!!

Deb Caletti - A Heart in a Body in the World

This is a YA contemporary novel. It's about a teenage girl named Annabelle, who one day runs away and decides to run from Seattle to Washington DC for reasons unknown to the reader at the beginning. It's an emotional, heartfelt story. I really liked reading this book. I probably would've enjoyed it even more had it not taken me 30 days to read it (Feb 20th - March 10), but as you know if you've been reading my posts, my brain decided in the second half of February to read 5-10 books at once. Anyway, I really liked this book and it has important messages.

Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 1: The Dreaming Void (re-read)

After re-reading the Commonwealth Saga last year (Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained) the Void Trilogy was up to re-read next. I started re-reading The Dreaming Void (book 1) on February 18th and finished it yesterday. I read it alongside other books. I really enjoyed re-reading this book. I looked it up and it seems I read this book in 2015, so I was already on BCF then. This book is epic adult science-fiction. I would definitely recommend reading the Commonwealth Saga duology first, as this introduces that world. Also this trilogy spoils bits of how that duology ended, quickly summarised. This trilogy takes place many years after the Commonwealth Saga. The storyline is different than the storyline of the Commonwealth Saga. The Dreaming Void is basically about this Void, which is in the centre of the galaxy. Its synopsis is a bit difficult to explain so I recommend you look it up if you're interested (but like I said, if you haven't read the Commonwealth Saga, I recommend you read those first). Anyway.. I really enjoyed my re-read.

Tomi Adeyemi - Legacy of Orïsha 2: Children of Virtue and Vengeance

This is the sequel to the book Children of Blood and Bone, a YA fantasy series. I really enjoyed the first book. It had been a little while since I had read the first book, so it took me a bit of time to get into the sequel and try to remember what had happened in book 1. I enjoyed reading this second book, it was a good read and there were some nice plot twists. I loved the magical stuff. There is quite a bit of fighting in this book.

Dorothy Koomson - The Flavours of Love

I have had this book on my TBR since 2014 (which is when this paperback edition came out). It's an adult contemporary fiction with thriller elements. Before this book, Dorothy Koomson wrote mostly contemporary fiction (as far as I know). Whereas her latest few books have been thrillers. I see this book as kind of the first time she tried to introduce thriller elements in her writing, but I could be wrong as I haven't read all of her books yet (that's what I think based on what I have read, and based on the synopses of the books I haven't read).

This book is about Saffron, a woman whose husband (Joel) was murdered 18 months ago (the police didn't know who did it and did not arrest anyone). She has decided to finish writing The Flavours of Love, the cookbook her husband started writing before he died. Saffron is struggling with coping with the grief as well as everything else in her life. Her 14-year-old daughter has just told the headmaster of her school that she's pregnant. The killer of the husband, is sending Saffron threatening letters.

I enjoyed reading this book a lot. It was suspenseful and I enjoyed the plot twists. I liked the characters a lot. The short chapters made it easier for me to read the book. Sometimes the story has flashbacks to earlier times in Saffron's life, through those flashbacks you get to know her husband Joel a bit as well. Overall a really enjoyable read.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of mini-reviews coming up! I did a lot of re-reads of graphic works (graphic novels, graphic memoirs, manga) and I also read a couple of books that were new-to-me.

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 3: Volume 3

This is Volume 3 of Deathnote. For a synopsis of volume 1, there should be something earlier in my thread. This volume 3 continued the story and was again a really enjoyable read (just like volumes 1 and 2).

Guy Delisle - Hostage (S'enfuir: Récit d'un Otage) (re-read)

I felt in the mood to re-read some of my favourite graphic memoirs and graphic novels. This one is a graphic memoir written by Guy Delisle based on what Christopher told him about what happened with Christopher. He was on a humanatarian mission and got taken hostage / kidnapped. He ends up in an almost empty locked room on his own without knowing what's going on. I thought I'd re-read it now with the state of the world as it is at the moment. It was really good to re-read this book.

Katie Green - Lighter Than My Shadow (re-read)

This is one of my favourite graphic memoirs, if not my favourite. It's Katie's journey with her eating disorder. I loved re-reading this graphic memoir, it's so good.

Iasmin Omar Ata - Mis(h)adra (re-read)

This combination of a graphic memoir and a novel, is based on the author's experiences with his epilepsy. The book is about a student named Isaac who is struggling because of his epilepsy. I really enjoyed this re-read.

Debbie Tung - Quiet Girl in a Noisy World (re-read)

Graphic comic memoir about Debbie being an introvert and how she struggles with it.

Debbie Tung - Book Love (re-read)

Debbie's comics to do with books and reading. Loved re-reading it.

Catana Chetwynd - Little Moments of Love (re-read)

Catana's comics to do with her relationship with her boyfriend. This was a nice re-read.

Sarah Andersen - Sarah's Scribbles 1: Adulthood is a Myth (re-read)
Sarah Andersen - Sarah's Scribbles 2: Big Mushy Happy Lump (re-read)
Sarah Andersen - Sarah's Scribbles 3: Herding Cats (re-read)

I'm going to do just one bit for these 3. They are collections of comics by Sarah Andersen, about various things in her life. I enjoyed the first collection the most, for some reason.

Marloes de Vries - Volwassen worden is optioneel (re-read)

This is a collection of comics to do with growing up and being an adult. It was really nice to re-read.

Gemma Correll - The Worrier's Guide to Life (re-read)

This is a collection of drawings, I enjoyed it less upon re-read, than the first time I read it, for some reason. It was still nice but.. definitely one of the lesser enjoyable ones in this post.

Allie Brosh - Hyperbole and a Half (re-read)

This book has Allie Brosh's illustrations along with text, I think it's based on her blog posts. I loved this re-read so much, just like the first time reading this book.

Jomny Sun - Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too (re-read)

This is a graphic novel about an alien who visits the Earth. It was a pretty nice -reread.

Cece Bell and David Lasky - El Deafo (re-read)

This is a graphic memoir based on Cece Bell's childhood. All the characters are rabbits/hares. Cece is deaf and has to wear a hearing aid (as a child, I don't know about now).

E. J. Copperman - Haunted Guesthouse Mystery 4: Chance of a Ghost

This is book 4 in the Haunted Guesthouse Mystery series. In this series Alison has her own guesthouse. 2 ghosts also live in the guesthouse and they help Alison to solve murders and suspicious cases.

Nathan W. Pyle - Strange Planet

This is a collection of comics about aliens doing things in a human way.. not sure how to describe it but it was funny in places and I liked it.

Alice Oseman - Heartstopper 1: Volume 1 (re-read)
Alice Oseman - Heartstopper 2: Volume 2 (re-read)
Alice Oseman - Heartstopper 3: Volume 3

I re-read Heartstopper Volumes 1 and 2 and then read Volume 3. This is a graphic novel series based on the webcomic Heartstopper Alice Oseman writes and draws. It's about two boys in high school who fall in love with each other. It's very good and adorable, I love these books. Volume 3 introduced some more heavier topics too, that I look forward to see how things go in Volume 4.

Jen Wang - The Prince and the Dressmaker (re-read)

A historical fiction graphic novel that takes place in Paris. The Prince loves to wear dresses, but he does not show this to anyone because it is frowned upon. He hires a dressmaker to make dresses for him. Such a good book, I enjoyed my re-read a lot.

Noelle Stevenson - Nimona (re-read)

This is a fantasy graphic novel about Nimona who becomes the sidekick of villain Lord Blackheart. It's funny and I really enjoyed re-reading it.

Ooof.. that was it! I'm currently (re)reading Sigrid Landman - Moederen met autisme 2: Chaos met autisme (re-read) and Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void (re-read). The latter is rather big, so it'll probably take me a while to get through. Since reading so much, my reading has slowed down over the past couple of days, I'll probably finish the autism memoir before the month is over as it's not that long and I'm halfway through, but I'm not even a fifth through the Hamilton book so might not finish that in March.

On 24/03/2020 at 12:03 PM, Athena said:

I'm currently (re)reading Sigrid Landman - Moederen met autisme 2: Chaos met autisme (re-read) and Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void (re-read). The latter is rather big, so it'll probably take me a while to get through. Since reading so much, my reading has slowed down over the past couple of days, I'll probably finish the autism memoir before the month is over as it's not that long and I'm halfway through, but I'm not even a fifth through the Hamilton book so might not finish that in March.

Finished them!

Sigrid Landman - Moederen met Autisme 2: Chaos met Autisme (re-read)

I enjoyed re-reading this memoir. I read this memoir from the library last year, and then decided to buy all of the author's books because I enjoyed it so much. I hadn't realised when I borrowed it last year, that it was kind of the sequel to the author's debut book, Moederen met autisme. Having now read that one, it was nice to re-read the sequel.

Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void (re-read)

Book 2 in the Void trilogy. I would highly recommend reading The Commonwealth Saga first (Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained). This trilogy takes place in that same world, but 1000ish years later. Since this is book 2, I won't post any spoilers or synopsis (for a synopsis of book 1 there should be one earlier in this thread, I think). When I read this book for the first time, I was actually already a member of this forum, and I looked up my earlier review. It seems I actually enjoyed it more this time around. Last time when I read it, it had been a while since I'd read book 1, and so reading book 2 I had trouble remembering some of the characters and got a bit confused. I had no such issues now, reading both book 1 and book 2 close together. I plan to start book 3 soon, hopefully that will make things easier with remembering.

• 3 weeks later...

Some mini-reviews/thoughts on recent reads.

Matt Parker - Humble Pi (A Comedy of Maths Errors)
This is a book about maths errors in real life situations, written by a mathmatician. I enjoyed the author's humour and I found the book an interesting read.

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 4: Volume 4
Volume 4 in the Deathnote series. For synopsis see earlier in this thread (when I read Volume 1). I really enjoyed this volume and I look forward to read more of this series.

Sandhya Menon - When Dimple Met Rishi 1: When Dimple Met Rishi
I buddy read this with a friend/acquaintance. It's a YA contemporary fiction / romance. It's about two Indian American teens, who go to a summer school / convention about programming, their parents want them to have an arranged marriage. This was a really cute read, the ending was a bit rushed in places but other than that I really enjoyed it.

Sigrid Landman - Wegens familieomstandigheden gesloten
This is a novel written by an autistic author. It's about an autistic teenage girl who gets bullied a lot. Parts of the novel are based on the author's own life. This novel made me think of my being bullied when I was a child and teenager. I loved this book. A new favourite.

Randall Monroe - What If?
This is a collection of what if sciency questions answered by the cartoonist of xkcd. It was pretty funny and I liked the illustrations and science in it.

Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 3: The Evolutionary Void (re-read)
This was a re-read for me, book 3 in The Void Trilogy (for synopsis see the review when I read book 1 earlier this year). I really enjoyed reading this third book, and it was comforting to re-read a favourite.

Peter Slabbynck (ill. Wendy Panders) - De Eiffeltoren is 540 stokbroden hoog (en andere weetjes over Frankrijk)
I borrowed this book from my family. It's an illustrated book with facts about France. I found it interesting and learnt some new things.

2 more mini-reviews/thoughts:

Emma Lord - Tweet Cute

This is a YA romance / rom-com. It involves a romance between two teenagers (the girl is named Pepper and the boy Jack) and Twitter, both their parents have a type of food shop (one sells sandwiches and grilled cheese, the other burgers and other things, also the girl loves baking), so there was some talk of food which I liked :). I liked this book :).

Beth O'Leary - The Flatshare

This is an adult romance (rom-com) book about Tiffy and Leon who start to share a flat. Leon is a nurse who works at night, Tiffy works during the day. Because Leon needs money, he places an ad to ask for someone who can be in the apartment while he is at work, and then he uses the apartment during the day while the other person is at their day job. They share a bed but aren't in it at the same time. They've never met but they are leaving each other post-it notes (about the apartment etc). This book was adorable and I loved it.

Sigrid Landman - Moederen met autisme 3: Bewoond Eiland

This is another autism memoir by Sigrid Landman. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first 2, but I still quite liked it.

Sorry, I don't feel that inspired to write more at the moment.

Mini-thoughts (for more details, see my future video in which I talk about all the books in April. I have filmed it but not edited and uploaded it). I am very tired and have had a hectic day so this may be brief.

Sigrid Landman - Opname

Novel based on the author's experiences on the PAAZ (kind of like a Dutch temporary psychiatric hospital place?). It was a nice read.

Sigrid Landman - Moederen met autisme 4: Een leven lang anders

The last memoir of her memoir series. A few of the columns were copies of earlier books. It says that on the back. Since I just read those earlier this year, I skimmed through the familiar bits. Some columns were updated with newer more recent thoughts from the author's life. Some columns were completely new. An enjoyable read but not as much as the earlier memoirs.

Virgie Tovar - You Have the Right to Remain Fat

I liked some of this manifesto a lot, but it really lost me when it started talking about fat activism vs. body positivity movement. It really confused me. It could just be me, I'm autistic (not neurotypical) and I live in the Netherlands (and not in the United States). 

Rachael Lippincott with Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis - Five Feet Apart

YA contemporary romance about 2 teens in the US (may have been New York?) with CF who are both in the same hospital. They have to stay 6 feet apart at all times, patients with CF can infect each other. One of them has been infected with a bacteria too (I forget its name) so it is imperative that the other one doesn't get it too. We read from both their perspectives. They fall in love quickly, the book has instalove and takes place over a short period of time. The characters weren't well developed. According to some OwnVoices GoodReads reviews as well as people on GoodReads who know/knew someone with CF, the representation wasn't quite on point. I did like learning more about CF. The worst thing about this book though, is a twist that I won't spoil (because it's a spoiler), it was so bad. This book as a whole wasn't the worst book I ever read though, it was still an okay read, but in comparison to my next read (see below) it is nowhere near as good.

Hannah Moskowitz - Sick Kids in Love

YA contemporary romance about 2 teens in New York with chronic illnesses. Isabel has RA (rheumatoid arthritis) which is an invisible chronic illness, and Sasha has Gaucher disease. Both Isabel and Sasha are Jewish and we read from Isabel's perspective. The book takes place over a longer period of time, isn't as instalovey, the characters are way better developed throughout the book, than the ones in Five Feet Apart. I loved all the messages the book had about chronic illness. There were a few great LGBT characters (for example, 2 of Isabel's friends, are two girls who are in a relationship with each other) and one of her friends is Jamaican. This book was really good, especially in comparison with Five Feet Apart.

Okay.. well that wasn't brief :lol:. Anyway, thanks for reading my thoughts on these books :).

More mini-reviews...

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 5: Volume 5

Another great continuation.

Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket CE 11 (21-22): Volume 11
Natsuki Takaya - Fruits Basket CE 12 (23 & Bonus): Volume 12

I finished off the Fruits Basket series! It was really good. I loved these last volumes. The Bonus stuff wasn't as interesting to me as the main story, but it was nice to read.

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 6: Volume 6

Really liking this series.

Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl 1: Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl)

This was a buddy read, I read the Dutch translation of Artemis Fowl (book 1). This is a middle-grade book that is fantasy and has some science fiction-y elements. I enjoyed this book!

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 7: Volume 7
Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 8: Volume 8
Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 9: Volume 9
Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 10: Volume 10

Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 11: Volume 11
Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 12: Volume 12
(finishing off the series)
Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - Deathnote 13: Volume 13 (extra)

I finished off the series! I had originally planned to read one volume a month, but I just felt in the mood to read the remainder of them now, so I did! (When I type now, that's actually a few days ago). I watched the anime 2/3rds a few years ago and then lost interest with how the story had changed. That's in the manga too, but gladly I was able to keep reading and it was more interesting this time around and things made more sense.

Overall I really enjoyed the series (even though some volumes were a bit better than others). I also really enjoyed the bonus volume (Volume 13), that came with my box set.