EReader or Tablet? Better Reading Tool?

Mitch23

Hello,

Requesting for your feedback. I am a homeschool, single and work-from-home mom and my daughter is requesting for an E-Reader, since she loves reading.  According to this link, https://thewiredshopper.com/e-readers-vs-tablets/?fbclid=IwAR2gAE2cU3h5ecaA6IjXQnLY9Q5ix0mOOJZ355FBBHCPO5SBniJ_pi5E9sk, you can also read ebooks through a tablet, which I wasn't aware, but according here it appears like it's a norm that people read through tablets.

I like the idea and I like to get her a tablet instead since she can use it to for her homeschooling. Currently she's using my laptop. I just work after she's finished with it.  So it's like double whammy, she gets a laptop alternative and E-reader in one buy. What I like best is it's cheaper than a laptop too.

But my main concerns are, wouldn't tablets strain my daughter's eyes? At the same time, I was thinking, she might also get distracted that instead of reading her usual adventure stories, she now goes to social media? I know you can limit or guard the websites your children are looking at? Does that work for tablets too?

I'm sorry for having too many questions, but your thoughts are appreciated

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mitch

For reading I would always recommend going for a dedicated e-reader over a tablet as the screen is definitely easier on the eyes. I also really like the fact that it's distraction free, something you have already picked up on. When I read on an e-reader it's all I do but whenever I use a phone, tablet, or computer of some kind I always find myself getting distracted by the internet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would always choose a dedicated e-reader. I tried using a tablet for reading for a year and I honestly could say that I'm very distracted. For example, I would read a few pages then I would see myself browsing social media or watching Youtube videos. Unlike for an e-reader l can completely focus on reading because the screen also helps with my mood.