My very favourite book

Munipenny55

Is the Bible. I am a committed Christian and read sections every possible day. It is my quiet private faith. 

If anyone wants to discuss purely the origins, beauty of language and literary aspects within the Bible, i would like that. To me the power of the words, especially in Psalms is wonderful. 

I am interested in the scholarly aspects, original writers and how the whole thing was put together. 

I hope it is ok on here. I just like talking to people about the beauty and wisdom contained in this greatest of works. 

I'm a Christian too, although I must say the bible is not my favourite book. In fact I often struggle with it somewhat. I also don't really think of it as a 'book' as such but more as a collection of writings. I find it much less cohesive than an actual book, although clearly consistent threads and themes can be found running through it.

I've been reading Alister McGrath's book, 'Christian Theology, an introduction' this year, and among other things it discusses the origins of the Christian canon and how it was put together. I've found that very interesting.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Hi Andrea

Good to speak to a fellow christian. 

I don't read the Bible in any order, never have. I read what i am drawn to, perhaps an old testament section and a new testament book. Generally i read books by authors who are good at explanation. Selwyn Hughes is superb for instance. I don't like anything too heavy, i would rather be spiritually inspired and follow my own meandering path. 

14 hours ago, Munipenny55 said:

I don't like anything too heavy, i would rather be spiritually inspired and follow my own meandering path. 

I can relate to that.

In terms of the bible itself, there are bits of it I do love actually, Genesis for instance (in spite of its challenges) and there are some wonderful and really interesting things like Job and Ecclesiastes that I'm also drawn to, and some of the psalms.

I could happily leave the law though. Leviticus. Ugh!

Not read Leviticus. 

I love Book of James atvend ofcthe NT. Only short but summarizes Jesus teachings. I just continue building my knowledge by dipping in as i want. Never to learn by rote or quote at anyone. Rather to underpin my faith and grow and enjoy the wisdom and beauty of the words.