Where do you read?

Munipenny55

Is this strange - i read a lot in my bathroom. My partner and i are lucky we each have our own separate bathroom. I have a bookshelf in here. I spread a towel over the loo seat, dressing gown on and read each day before getting ready. Often couple of hours. I get up early, get a cuppa and that's me. 

I find total quiet and peace here. It delays my start to the day a lot! 

Otherwise i read at the kitchen table and in my armchair during lunch which is always a sandwich so one hand free to read. I always carry my kindle to anywhere any risk of waiting. All are reading opportunities. 

So what do you do? 

Edited by Munipenny55

Generally spread between 4 places. The majority of my reading is done at home on the sofa either with the TV on or off depending if my wife is watching anything. I also read in bed before going to sleep most nights and occasionally in the morning as long as I don't have to go to work. I've recently started reading in my local library as it means I am away from distraction at home such as the internet. Finally, I also read a fair bit at my desk at work. I am lucky in that I am effectively 'on-call' for large chunks of time at work and as long as I remain on site I can entertain myself in anyway that I like, and for me that means reading.

Most of my reading is done in my living room, the bath or the pub (with a bit most nights in bed before turning out the light).

I used to read during breaks and when travelling on the bus to work and back each day, but I don't have the latter anymore and I now walk to work, so that has cut my reading time by over an hour a day from what I was doing 20 odd years ago.

I cannot read in a moving vehicle as i would be sick!

It is so good that with a kindle, no matter where we find ourselves, we readers can be somewhere else entirely. How do non readers ever cope with always being in this world? Personally i need regular journeys away. 

Pretty much anywhere and everywhere.  Most of my reading is, obviously, at home, my favourite place being in the kitchen next to the Aga (usually with cat on knee!), and a mug of tea/coffee, glass of wine, dram to hand, some music in the background (plenty of choice, but needs to be familiar and no singing with the exception of medieval polyphony). We have a ceiling spot light just over the Aga that lights a book perfectly.  I simply cannot cope with talk or radio in the background!

I carry a kindle around in my bag (and/or a book most of the time), and read whenever I get a space, mostly on the train (which is my main form of transport).  Ear plugs/headphones are basic essentials on trains.

My usual state of affairs in bed is that I fall asleep reading the kindle within a page, sometimes two, so that tends to be completely unproductive! 

Edited by willoyd

• 3 months later...

I used to read books on our local coffeeshops but I stopped since 2017 since most customers are getting loud so it ruins the mood and experience for me. Can't find a new place to read especially on weekends so I just stayed at home most of the time even though there's too many distractions and temptations to procrastinate my reading. 

On 21/02/2020 at 4:03 AM, paperlatte said:

I used to read books on our local coffeeshops but I stopped since 2017 since most customers are getting loud so it ruins the mood and experience for me. Can't find a new place to read especially on weekends so I just stayed at home most of the time even though there's too many distractions and temptations to procrastinate my reading. 

I've seen people reading in my local Costa but I have no idea how they concentrate with all the noise and moving around! I find it much harder to read in public spaces, even in the library, small noises distract me much more than they would at home.

I would say my favourite place to read is in bed, but I love being able to read outside when the weather's nice too. I've got a while to wait before I can do that again though... at the moment my book would probably blow away!