• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Munipenny55

Thomas Hardy

Anyone a Hardy Fan? 

I read him years ago as a teenager.  'Tess of the Durbervilles' was amazing. Then for years i avoided him because the stories are so tragic. I didn't want to be dragged down. 

I have almost now finished 'Far from the Madding Crowd'.  My goodness i have not enjoyed a book so much for many a year! What sublime writing, what incredible knowledge of human character and wisdom of life. This one is more upbeat than one imagines too. Some of the descriptions of the characters are hilarious. 

Anyhow, every moment i get i have opened my kindle and settled into Hardyland. Gobbled this one up. Have downloaded all his novels and feel secure and happy to do more gobbling for the foreseeable. 

I think Madding Crowd is probably my favourite of his books, I also read them a lot at school and then left quite a big gap before going back to them, as you say it has a mixture of tragedy and quite a bit of comedy too, and at least a happy ending, eventually!  Jude the Obscure is the most depressing though.

Hi Madeleine

Ah, i was going to say this one had a surprising element of comedy in it. The scenes in the inn, of drunken companionship were priceless! 

But which one next? Which is least depressing? I have quite a few Hardys I've not read yet and i want to plunge quickly into one today! Before withdrawal sets in. 

Yes, I like Thomas Hardy. When I read Tess of the d'Urbevilles I was glued to it but when I got to the end I literally threw the book across the room (I was a teenager!). I could not believe anyone could end a book like that and I was very upset. He sure knows how to hurt.

Wait till you read Jude the Obscure.....the reviews were so bad that he never wrote another novel.

Under the Greenwood Tree is surprisingly jolly for Hardy, but not much story.  The Mayor Casterbridge is probably his other most famous novel, or Return of the Native.