Graphic Novels by Jessie Jacobs

Rybread

Indie/Alternative/Non-superhero Comics by Jessie Jacobs

Upon walking into The Eliot Bay Book Company in Seattle Washington I immediately went to the graphic novel section for it was more extensive than most book stores I’ve been to. I honestly was looking for one with the most interesting cover. That’s when Crawl space caught my eye.

31944812.jpg

Crawl Space is about a teenage girl who finds a portal to another dimension in her family washing machine. It is difficult to find graphic novels that are non superhero for adults however all of his graphic novels fit this relatively rare niche. Next I read By This You Shall Know Him.

15707087.jpg

By This You Shall Know Him stars god like creatures that existed before humans. Each being is a student of the universe learning to create things by re arranging matter and energy. This creation story also features an Adam and Eve story fused with sci fi elements. Unlike the rainbow of colors in Crawl Space this work mostly sticks to cool tones of blue and purple. Lastly I read Safari Honeymoon.

1029--62842-800-n1c.jpg

Safari Honeymoon does not have outer space elements like the last two. The style matches the other two novels but instead takes on a monochromatic green color scheme. In this green world two honeymooners take a vacation to a safari of strange creatures (as the title reveals).

I would say I would rank these in order

1. Crawl Space

2. Safari Honeymoon

3. By This You Shall Know Him