Favourite horror book

Renius

I am petrified of clowns after reading IT! Brrrr.

I've heard a lot of people say this. I've never read IT (although it's on my TBR pile) and I don't have any issues with clowns at the moment. I'd like to keep it that way but I still can't wait to read IT! Looks like I'll be joining your ranks one day. :readingtwo:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a bit wigged out by clowns (I've always found them slightly sinister and majorly scary), even though I've never read IT (I have seen the film, but I was scared of them beforehand). I will never be able to read IT beause of Pennywise!

I've always been a bit wigged out by clowns (I've always found them slightly sinister and majorly scary), even though I've never read IT (I have seen the film, but I was scared of them beforehand). I will never be able to read IT beause of Pennywise!

IT was the first Stephen King book i ever read. Not really scared of clowns that much. I was a little more weary of them after reading IT though!

The book is far better than the film I find that Stephen Kings books din't translate in to film very well.

I totall agrree with that. It's just the way in which he sets up the story i.e. he has many different perspectives running through a book and it doesn't translate to film all that well.

The book is far better than the film I find that Stephen Kings books din't translate in to film very well.
I agree overall, but there have been one or two very faithful and excellent adaptation such as:

Stand By Me (The Body from Different Seasons)

The Shawshank Redemption (Rita Haywood and the Shawshank Redemption from Different Seasons)

Misery (Misery)

• 1 month later...
Guest Sedgewick

Been a long time since I read horror but Clive Barker's The Damnation Game has stayed with me.

House Of Leaves was interesting too and believably frightening because you were forced to watch its characters from a distance wander into the strangest scenario ever: a house bigger on the inside...and growing.

Been a long time since I read horror but Clive Barker's The Damnation Game has stayed with me.

I haven't read that one yet. I wanted to many years ago, but my mom wouldn't let me. :D My favorite so far of Clive Barker's is Weaveworld, but it's not all that scary.

Guest Sedgewick
I havent read that one yet. I wanted to many years ago, but my mom wouldnt let me. My favorite so far of Clive Barkers is Weaveworld, but its not all that scary.
Ha, I think that is his worst. (Well, I never did read Mister B. Gone, so that could usurp it). Coldheart Canyon was the last of his I read and it wasnt all that memorable. Sacrament was damned good, though.

I like the "Damnation Game", the books of blood are a good read as well. I like SK's use of lovecraftian elements and themes. Surprisingly, one book which the name defeats me, I think its called 53 Bresial place is very good. Its a series of short ghost stories centered around the same house.

The Necroscope series are very good as well.

Guest Sedgewick
I like SK's use of lovecraftian elements and themes.

SK? Stephen King? Where has he used Lovecraftian ideas? I'm racking my brains, trying to run through his short stories especially, but can't think of any.

Tbh, I'm a wuss and don't like horror stories. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill was good though - you should see it at the theatre, that was scary!

I know kb.marsh, I m a bit of a chicken when it comes to horror stories too! Saw that play though, it was good and scary. I remember seeing another play typically I cant remember the name of it but it was these men in a pub and they were telling each other ghost stories. Really good. I was fine in the theatre it was the walk home that freaked me out!

Recently read Dracula, very proud of myself, couldnt put it down. That could be because I want to sleep soundly at night again.

Muhahaha... :D

My favourite horror book has to be 'The Season of Passage' by Christopher Pike. The plot, the scenes, the characters... it had just the right tones and although I read it for the first time when I was very young 12 or 13 I think - and I know, I shouldn't have been reading it - I still loved it.

I've reread it for the first time very recently, it took a while to get hold of but I can say it's still a brilliant book.

I might write a proper review after I've read some of the others on here.

• 1 month later...
I've actually never read a book that left me terrified, but I am currently reading the Shining and hoping it won't dissapoint..!

I tend to agree - I don't think I've ever been frightened by a horror book that I've read and I'm not sure why really!

I thought The Shining was a great film, but I've not read the book!

• 2 months later...

I see lots of people here putting THE STAND by Stephen King up as a favorite horror. With this in mind, I will recommend SWAN SONG by Robert R. Mccammon. Seriously, this is my absolute favorite book of all time. I know thats a hard thing to say, but this is the one that began my life of reading. It's not straight up horror, but it's more like the Stand. An end of the world book with horror themes. An amazingly vivid cast of characters and their stories get woven together perfectly.

Mccammon started out as more of a traditional horror writer with BAAL and They Thirst. But his later stuff like Gone South and Boys Life were just some of the best reading I could ever suggest to someone.