Favourite horror book

Renius

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to read this one, but I've yet to obtain it. Have you read either of the books he wrote as Will Kingdom?

Is Phil Rickman good?? I have a book by him i got as a present but never got around to reading it. Its called 'The Smile Of A Ghost'

Is Phil Rickman good?? I have a book by him i got as a present but never got around to reading it. Its called 'The Smile Of A Ghost'

That book is part of the Merrily Watkins series (no 7) - I've only read Midwinter of the Spirit (no. 2) which I thought was great and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. All of his books tend to get great reviews on Amazon.

I loved Mean Spirit that he wrote as Will Kingdom and I'm thoroughly into The Cold Calling at the moment.

His books tend to have a supernatural feel to them and I would definitely recommend him and think he's great, but are you someone that likes to read a series from the start?

I really want to read this one, but I've yet to obtain it. Have you read either of the books he wrote as Will Kingdom?

I have not read any of his books as Will Kingdom,I've only read Crybbe and Candlenight and I have The Wine of Angels waiting to be read.I'll have to track down some of the Will Kingdom stuff though.

are you someone that likes to read a series from the start?

I am if its necessarily. I also love Ian Rankin's Rebus series but I didn't read them in order. So if its a loose connection its fine. Otherwise, I'll keep an eye out for the start of the series.

Favourite Horror Book?

Well strangely when I was younger I loved reading horror stories - Dennis Wheatley being my favourite author - then Stephen King - Children of the Corn had to be a nasty one! But as the years have gone by - I HATE reading or watching horror books/films.

I am if its necessarily. I also love Ian Rankin's Rebus series but I didn't read them in order. So if its a loose connection its fine. Otherwise, I'll keep an eye out for the start of the series.

Well this is what Phil Rickman says on his website:

"A big problem is, the more books you have in a series the greater the weight of back-story. The challenge is to make every book instantly accessible to a new reader. You don

I'm sure I'll change my mind on this as I read other's posts but at the min I would say my favourite horrors would be:

Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'

William Peter Blatty's 'The Exorcist'

Shaun Hutson's 'Erebus'

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shadowland and Koko both by Peter Straub are two of my favorites. I'm not sure if it counts as horror, but if it does then The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub is my top pick.

For me, my favourite type of horror to read and write is supernatural. So, for a good old fashioned ghost story I would say The Women in Black by Susan Hill.

Although The Shining by Stephen King is a great classic too.

Andie P x

• 1 year later...

Shadowland and Koko both by Peter Straub are two of my favorites. I'm not sure if it counts as horror, but if it does then The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub is my top pick.

im just about to start the talisman

Too many favorite horror books to name, most are by King.. But i can probably name the top 5 scariest horror books i've ever read. (Oddly enough, none are by King)

5.) was Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

4.) I am Legend- was really good although the movie didn't even compare to it. 

3.) The Ruins by Scott Smith. (Felt i had to include this because it really was scary and well-written descriptions).

2.) House of Leaves. By Mark Z. Danielewski

1.) *The Girl Next Door!* By Jack Ketchum

I may edit this because now it has me thinking hard about others... I'm pretty content with my top 5 though i may add some honorable mentions

EDIT: Ok, actually yeah, about Stephen King, I guess "It" and "Salems Lot" were scary but still, King brings a different blend of horror (for lack of a better term) than most scary books. His are just usually more so enjoyable than they are scary-scary.

Honorable mention: I wanted to add a Ghost story to the list, so I thought; "Ghost Story" lol. By Peter Straub. 

Edited by UnderTheDome40

Too many favorite horror books to name, most are by King.. But i can probably name the top 5 scariest horror books i've ever read. (Oddly enough, none are by King)

5.) was Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

4.) I am Legend- was really good although the movie didn't even compare to it. 

3.) The Ruins by Scott Smith. (Felt i had to include this because it really was scary and well-written descriptions).

2.) House of Leaves. By Mark Z. Danielewski

1.) *The Girl Next Door!* By Jack Ketchum

excellent book Carrion Comfort, have you read The Terror by Dan Simmons? brilliant it is. I Am Legend, short book but very good. I really want to read The Girl Next Door but havent been able to get hold of it. Ive seen the movie. Ill have to give The Ruins and House of Leaves a read as it looks like we have similar taste in books!

hey Michelle,, i hope you enjoy it, and wow, i can't believe it's that short on the Kindle? It was a pretty large book but then again i have no idea how Kindles work so it must be a different setup or something. 

Hey Geordie, No i haven't read The Terror but I do have it on my to-read-list. I hope to get to it soon but the problem is, i feel like the List keeps growing faster than i can keep up with reading lol. Anyways I bet you would like the Ruins by Scott Smith but I would probably recommend you to his other book  "A Simple Plan" before I would The Ruins. A Simple Plan is my favorite novel by him. They're both great books though. He's a pretty under-rated author in my opinion. 

• 1 month later...