Favourite horror book

Renius

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from straight out of real life - Confessions of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah is horrific for illustrating just what humans are capable of doing to eachother.

Just noticed this, Kate - I've just posted on another thread about this book. Not sure "I'm really looking forward to it" is quite the right way of expressing it, but you'll know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the Rats trilogy, I was absolutely terrified by it. Also, Carrie was good but as I got older I got more and more terrified of scarey movies, which has put a block on any modern horror novels. I love Frankenstein, Dracula and Handmaids Tale (not technically a horror novel, but it freaked me out!)...Margaret Atwood certainly puts her own spin on horror, which is chilling in a unique way.

I remember readin' the rats trilogy as they came out from the early(ish)

70's on-wards, and the thing that STILL brothers me, is, it is still

relevant. Another thing, brought me up sharpish, that James Hebert shared a thing with another great writer...Charles Dickens.! :(;)

Shared a thing?

You can see HPL's influence in countless modern horror writers. Stephen King especially, the book IT, Needful things (yog-sothoth) and many others.

Any story that features the classic "things that should not be" or beings from beyound reality, space and time are somewhat influenced.

From Conan through to john Carpenters the thing, HPL spawned a whole new form of horror.

• 2 months later...

Dracula would be mine I think. I love the style in which it is written. It's very atmospheric, especially the captain's log from the Demeter, that's followed by a newspaper article describing how the ship came into Whitby harbour with the dead captain bound to the helm.

I must confess though, I can not stand Stephen King. I've read "IT," and part of "Dreamcatcher," but I had to give up on the later because it just stopped making sense with all that Mr Gray stuff. His stlye of writing seems to contain too much gratuitous swearing and violence...I'm not saying I found that offense: I didn't, but it annoys me when it adds nothing to the plot or characters. It just seems to be used to shock people into reading. He's only getting one more chance from me; maybe the next one will be better.

Having said that, I've never tried any of his non-horror work. The Shawshank Redemption is a fantastically moving film, so I won't dismiss him from my bookshelf yet. Also, to this day I am still scared of clowns, so maybe IT was a better book than I'm giving it credit for :readingtwo:

I must confess though, I can not stand Stephen King. He's only getting one more chance from me; maybe the next one will be better.

Having said that, I've never tried any of his non-horror work. The Shawshank Redemption is a fantastically moving film, so I won't dismiss him from my bookshelf yet.

Gelfling, if he's only getting one more chance from you, I recommend The Shining. I don't think it will disappoint. :readingtwo:

And The Shawshank Redemption is on C4 tonight! Yay!

Dracula is an amazing book, probably the best vampire novel by far.

Dark Water by Koji Susuki is a spine tingling book. I got a little fear of water, though i love swimming?? Scrap that. I have a fear of dark, deep water and getting stuck under the water. There is one story in this book to that affect, it really sent chills down my spine.

Thanks Mia, I'll give it a go.

Nici - I hate clowns, I can't think why they were invented and I don't know of a single child that finds them funny. If you share my fear and want a chilling read, try John Conolly's book of short stories "Nocturnes." There's a fairly nasty clown one in there

:readingtwo:

Dark Water by Koji Susuki is a spine tingling book.

I have a fear of dark, deep water and getting stuck under the water. There is one story in this book to that affect, it really sent chills down my spine.

That would really scare me, I too do not like deep dark water and getting stuck under. I don't even like not being able to touch the bottom of a swimming pool. :readingtwo:

Nici - I hate clowns, I can't think why they were invented and I don't know of a single child that finds them funny. If you share my fear and want a chilling read, try John Conolly's book of short stories "Nocturnes." There's a fairly nasty clown one in there

;)

Ok i'll bear that in mind thanks when I'm feeling a little braver as I like John Connolly. ;):readingtwo:

He's fab isn't he? I've only discovered him fairly recently as I read "The Book of Lost Things," which I fell in love with....a very gothic fairy tale. I hear they are making it into a film.

Nocturnes is the only other book I've read. It's fantastic (and I think they are making a couple of those stories into films as well....certainly "The new Daughter," will be filmed).

I havn't read any of his other stuff, have you? Any good?

I read "The Book of Lost Things," which I fell in love with....a very gothic fairy tale. I hear they are making it into a film.

Really? Wow I think that it would make a great film!

I havn't read any of his other stuff, have you? Any good?

No I have only read The Book of Lost Things but I have heard good things about his other books so I will definately read more of his work.

That would really scare me, I too do not like deep dark water and getting stuck under. I don't even like not being able to touch the bottom of a swimming pool. :readingtwo:

The thing with me is that i love facing my fears and putting my self in situations that make me scared. Some people call me an adrenaline junkie. I would just call my self...exciting or fearless.