Online Book Subcription Clubs

Brian.

I am about to sign up to the Willoughby Book Club for 3 months, I just need to decide whether to go for the contemporary or classic subscription. I'm going to give it a go for 3 months and see how it works out but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these types of book subscription clubs and how you have found it.

I don't but I have been really tempted to try one. I just looked up the Willoughby Book Club and that one looks pretty good. I'd like to see how accurate their bespoke subscription is and I like that you can request a different book if they send you one you've already got!

I'm glad you started this thread because I'm really interested to hear how other people feel about these subscriptions too! 

• 3 weeks later...

I got my first book from the Willoughby Book Club today after signing up for the contemporary 3 month option. During the sign up process they ask you to tell them your favourite books and authors so they can do a better job of selecting books for you.

20191107_135844.jpg.97d3a069ec65871a1b0a328aa2630057.jpg

The book came very well packaged and further wrapped in an attractive tissue paper with a bonus sticker which will probably live on laptop.

20191107_135950.jpg.b5e3b577bed52a1f434f6b340257e852.jpg

When unwrapped this is the book I received. I have never heard of it before but the synopsis looks pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

• 1 month later...

I'm finally about the start the first book I receieved and the next one arrives :lol:

The second book is What We Owe by Golnaz Hashemzadeh Bonde. The blurb says the following:

Nahid has six months left to live. Or so the doctors say. But Nahid is not the type to trust anyone. She resents the cancer diagnosis she has been given and the doctor who has given it to her. Bubbling inside her is also resentment toward life as it turned out, and the fact that it will go on without her. She feels alone, alone with her illness and alone with her thoughts. She yearns yet fails to connect with her only daughter, Aram. As the rawness of death draws near, Nahid should want to protect Aram from pain. She knows she should. Yet what is a daughter but one born to share in her mother’s pain?

At fifty, Nahid is no stranger to death. As a Marxist revolutionary in eighties Iran, she saw loved ones killed in the street and was forced to flee to Sweden. She and her husband abandoned their roots to build a new life in a new country. They told themselves they did it for their newborn daughter, so she could live free. But now as she stands on the precipice facing death, Nahid understands that what you thought you escaped will never let you go. And without roots, can you ever truly be free?

I assume it's been selected for me as I really loved the books by Khaled Hosseini and I look forward to getting to it soon.

• 5 months later...

I realised that I forgot to update this thread with my final thoughts about The Willoughby Book Club. They offer several packages and I signed up for the three month contemporary fiction package which was £34.99. It should be noted that it is now priced at £39.99. For that I received 1 book a month for three months which were hand picked based on my list of favourite books and authors. I had 2 books which I ended up enjoying and 1 which I really loved. I actually received an extra book due to an error on their part and when I contacted them about it they told me to keep it an apologised for the mistake.

So was it worth it? Yes I think it was and I would probably sign up again if the price was still £34.99, personally I think £39.99 is a bit steep.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review Brian. I didn't even know these existed until I saw this thread. I had a quick Google and there are quite a few online book subscriptions out there for a wide variety of genres. They sound like a great idea and a way of encouraging people to read outside of their comfort zone and introduce new authors and writing styles.

13 hours ago, Angury said:

Thanks for the review Brian. I didn't even know these existed until I saw this thread. I had a quick Google and there are quite a few online book subscriptions out there for a wide variety of genres. They sound like a great idea and a way of encouraging people to read outside of their comfort zone and introduce new authors and writing styles.

I definitely found it a good way to read outside of my comfort zone. It's highly unlikely I would have picked up any of the books they sent me of my own accord.