Favourite fantasy book

Renius

I'm currently re-reading a great Fantasy trilogy by Jan Siegel:

book 1 - Prospero's Children

book 2 - Dragon Charmer

book 3 - Witch's Honour.

great story which moves along and incorporates several folklore and legends stories.

a shame that Jan Siegel doesn't seem to have written much more.

as Amanda Hemingway she wrote another trilogy: Greenstone Grail, Traitor's Sword, Poisoned Crown. that was quite good too but I like the first trilogy better.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I went through every post and I did't see any one put Steven Erikson on their list. The Malazan Book of the fallen series starting with Gardens of the Moon have more scope and depth than any story i've read.

Agreed!

I think The Bonehunters ranks as my favourite fantasy book, at the moment anyway. House of Chains and Midnight Tides aren't far behind. I thought GRRM's A Game of Thrones was absolutely thrilling, too.

Looks like I need to get another avatar - Anomander Rake was my second choice for username :lol:

I really couldn't read the Malazan series no matter how much I tried. The writing, I just can't seem to understand what is happening in the series.

A Song of Ice And Fire, though, is brilliant. Even if Martin is taking seven years to write the next book.

I really enjoyed reading Age of the Five by Trudi Canavan, but I rarely come across anyone else that has read them :D...

*found another forum that soley covers the books so i'm happy now I found some fellow readers*

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I really enjoyed the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson, although I have only read the first two trilogies. I really need to get the rest.

And The Saga of the Exiles and Galactic Mileu, two series by Julian May, are very good too.

I really couldn't read the Malazan series no matter how much I tried. The writing, I just can't seem to understand what is happening in the series.

I can appreciate that - they're not for everyone, that's for sure. Definitely a love it or hate it series. Obviously, I'm in the former category :D

I'm finding they benefit from re-reading more than any other books I have read, too. Going back to the start with all the knowledge gained from the later books has been a real eye-opener. The scope and ambition of Erikson's work is something that I find quite staggering.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hobbit is one of my favourite fantasies, I much prefer it to any of the LOTR three, they are brilliant of course, a little extensive but that's generally what you want with epic fantasy. I like the kind of charming, blossoming tale quality of The Hobbit and it's a more than fitting prelude to the story which follows it up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Definitely the Wheel of Time Series by the late Robert Jordan: it is so incredibly wide-spanning and epic (in the true sense of the word) as well as being spectacularly characterised, well-written and the battles are so clearly written from experience (RJ was in the army). I cannot recommend this series highly enough and it is not only my favourite fantasy but also my favourite series of literature in any genre.

Probably David Gemmell's Troy series (which is technically closer to alt-history, as the magic and other fantasy elements are given a very light touch).

I read Tolkien and Dragonlance at about the same time when I was younger, so of course those both rank.

R.A. Salvatore's original Icewind Dale trilogy.

The original Moonshae Trilogy.

• 2 months later...