Your Book Activity - October 2019

Onion Budgie

Two books completed in quick succession: Vanessa and Her Sister (Priti Parmar) late last night, and Horatio Clare's Icebreaker this afternoon.  Both excellent, and well worth 5 stars (out of 6) each. 

Just finished reading Catherine Bailey's fairly substantial tome, Black Diamonds for a book group  Can't say I was wowed, in marked contrast to the large number of rave reviews on Amazon.  Very well researched, but put together in far too breathless and melodramtic style, with plenty of, shall we say, decorative embellishment.  Reads more like a romantic saga than a history.  Rated at 3/6 (OK, but not unputdownable).

Edited by willoyd

Finished Susan Hill's ghostly novella, Dolly, in a single sitting this morning for one of my book groups.  Only occupied an hour or so, and whilst an easy enough read, not in the same league as The Woman in Black.  3/6.

Having a bit of a reading fest this week: just finished CJ Sansom's Dissolution, the first of his Matthew Shardlake mysteries, set in Tudor times. A reread - last read back in 2008, and no, I didn't remember the solution! Very involving, and some interesting history (as well as a good mystery). 4/6.

Edited by willoyd

• Athena unpinned this topic