Your Book Activity - October 2019

Onion Budgie

I’m about halfway through The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. I didn’t know what to expect but so far I am enjoying it a lot. It’s the kind of book I probably wouldn’t have read if it hadn’t been for the 1001 list and this forum. 

I'm also starting October with a mystery, I have about a quarter of Echo Murder by Laura Laakso left to read. I still have absolutely no idea what the solution to the mystery is going to be and I really need to know, so I don't think it will take me long to finish it!

Completed Rebecca today.  Brilliant read - the first 6-star novel of the year.  Proved very popular in my reading group too, with the highest average score of any book since the group started 18 months ago (average 8.7/10).  Now moved on to Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome, one of my Tour of the USA books, as it counts for Massachusetts.

10 hours ago, willoyd said:

Completed Rebecca today.  Brilliant read - the first 6-star novel of the year.  Proved very popular in my reading group too, with the highest average score of any book since the group started 18 months ago (average 8.7/10).  Now moved on to Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome, one of my Tour of the USA books, as it counts for Massachusetts.

Must read Rebecca again, a wonderful book.

I've heard Edith Wharton highly recommended and started reading The House of Mirth, but I just couldn't get past her anti-semitism. I can grudgingly overlook the occasional racial slur in books when it's more a reflection of the attitudes of the times (as in Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House books) but this was so blatant I couldn't go on. I wonder if all her books are like this?

3 hours ago, poppy said:

I've heard Edith Wharton highly recommended and started reading The House of Mirth, but I just couldn't get past her anti-semitism. I can grudgingly overlook the occasional racial slur in books when it's more a reflection of the attitudes of the times (as in Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House books) but this was so blatant I couldn't go on. I wonder if all her books are like this?

I couldn't say generally, as this is the first Wharton book I've read, but it certainly doesn't feature in Ethan Frome, which, incidentally, I finished earlier today.  Found it a bit hard going at times, but overall a compulsive and engaging read: 4*.

Most reviewers appear to agree that Wharton was anti-semitic, and House of Mirth is cited regularly.  One biographer, Hermione Lee, apparently challenges this:  Lee also gives relatively short shrift to more recent, politically charged critiques of Wharton's snobbery, racism and anti-semitism. She frankly notes the blunt references to "Yids" and other racial and ethnic slurs in Wharton's letters (deleted or omitted by early editors), but places them against the richer, more complex and contradictory contexts of the fiction (Guardian, 10 Feb 2007).  I have the bio on my shelves, but have yet to read it, so can't comment further.  It will be interesting to find out.

Edited by willoyd

• Athena pinned this topic
7 hours ago, Serrah Miles said:

Started reading the After series. i hope I could finish this one but I'm starting to get annoyed with the female protagonist. 

I think I've heard some other people saying the same thing (I haven't read it and don't think I will read it, so I can't comment personally). Sorry you aren't liking it a lot. Welcome here though :)!

I'm re-reading Judas Unchained, book 2 in the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton. I'll probably read other books in between reading this book, as it's 1200+ pages. For the upcoming read-a-thon, I'll put it down for a few days and focus on my usual graphic novels and manga. I read a bit in Judas Unchained yesterday evening and really enjoyed it.

I've just finished The Pale Horse.  It was... ok.  The plot wasn't as twisty or as intriguing as I've come to expect from Christie, but it had its moments.  I'm still looking forward to watching the TV adaptation!  I'm guessing it will be shown some time around Christmas?

Now on to Muse by James Renner.  It's a horror novel (in a limited print run of 750 copies, all signed by the author), and I'm hoping to be frit out of me wits! 

I have just finished It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. 

I think this book despite its subject matter was written beautifully. I can't think of what to say because a) I am crap at reviews and b) I'll probably just spoil it. 

But it has made me want to read more from this author. One I have always known about but never thought I would. 4 stars! Only reason it wasn't a full house is because I wasn't too fond of the beginning. 

Going to go back on goodreads and add it to my favourites.

I am currently reading An Unsuitable Match by Joanna Trollope. I'll say I am liking it so far but not completely enthralled. 

On 03/10/2019 at 11:31 PM, willoyd said:

I've not long started Frenchman's Creek and I'm loving it so far. I've been meaning to read Rebecca for years but I think I'm going to get to it quite soon now.

Edited by ~Andrea~

On 11/10/2019 at 3:49 PM, Brian. said:

I started a new book this morning, Irresistible by Adam Alter. it's a non-fiction book about the rise of addictive technology and the business of keeping us hooked.

That sounds like an interesting read, I look forward to read/hear your thoughts on it.

I finished reading Muse late last night.  Wooeee, it was good.  A transcription of cassette tapes, wherein an ex private investigator describes coming into possession of a mysterious ironwood chest once belonging to the sci-fi writer H.P. Lovecraft.  Inside the chest is a... thing.  The thing is alive, and it wants all of your memories -- any way it can get them.  Excellent stuff.

I'm just about to begin The Boy Who Saw True: The Time-Honoured Classic of the Paranormal by Cyril Scott.

Currently reading my fiftieth book of the year, The Making of the British Landscape by Nicholas Crane.  He's a very readable writer, and much is interesting (and some new) but have to say the book disappoints on a number of fronts.

Edited by willoyd

I'm about half way through Ducks, Newburyport by Lucy Ellman. It was shortlisted for the Booker Prize this year and I'm really enjoying it. I've never read anything like it. It's basically 1000 pages made up of about 4 sentences. 

Been rootling around for a few days trying to decide what to read next, and have settled on The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Read the first two chapters in the bath tonight. 

Quiet flat.

Odd noises.

Bit spooked.

Soap in my eyes from not wanting to close them whilst washing...

On 20/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, Angury said:

I'm about half way through Ducks, Newburyport by Lucy Ellman. It was shortlisted for the Booker Prize this year and I'm really enjoying it. I've never read anything like it. It's basically 1000 pages made up of about 4 sentences. 

Well that sounds odd but intriguing! 

12 hours ago, Raven said:

Been rootling around for a few days trying to decide what to read next, and have settled on The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Read the first two chapters in the bath tonight. 

Quiet flat.

Odd noises.

Bit spooked.

Soap in my eyes from not wanting to close them whilst washing...

:giggle2: I love The Hound of the Baskervilles

Im still reading The Woman in Black and Tales of Unease. They’re both quite good books to just dip into but I think that’s making me read them quite slowly. 

Really looking forward to the new Philip Pullman book, The Secret Commonwealth, but I bought the special edition and it’s so nice I’m a bit scared to read it!

I'm almost finished with The Boy Who Saw True.  It's been a fantastic read.  It's the non-fiction diary of a young Victorian boy who comes to realise that he is possessed of "second sight", i.e. he's clairvoyant.  The book wasn't published until many years after the diarist's death, at his request.  Absolutely fascinating -- I'd highly recommend it.

I've no idea what I fancy reading next, I'll have to riffle through my bookshelves.