Hi!

Eli Steele

Welcome here! I liked the A Song of Ice and Fire books (eagerly awaiting books 6 and 7.. whenever they come out). I have works by Abercrombie and Erikson on my to-be-read list. I read Gardens of the Moon years ago, when my knowledge of English was less good, and the book really confused me. So I'm planning to one day re-read it and hopefully understand it a bit better. I liked The Hobbit.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, Hayley said:

Hi Eli, welcome to the forum :) 

I'm also a fan of Tolkien and Abercrombie. Are you looking forward to 'A Little Hatred'?

I always said I needed a little hatred in my life... ;)

12 hours ago, Athena said:

Welcome here! I liked the A Song of Ice and Fire books (eagerly awaiting books 6 and 7.. whenever they come out). I have works by Abercrombie and Erikson on my to-be-read list. I read Gardens of the Moon years ago, when my knowledge of English was less good, and the book really confused me. So I'm planning to one day re-read it and hopefully understand it a bit better. I liked The Hobbit.

The warrens confused the heck out of me, so don't feel alone in that.  It was a tough read, but I enjoyed it. 

I absolutely loved ASoI&F… like a decade ago.  I still do, don't get me wrong, but I think he'll ever finish the series.  I'm disappointed in him...

11 hours ago, Eli Steele said:

I absolutely loved ASoI&F… like a decade ago.  I still do, don't get me wrong, but I think he'll ever finish the series.  I'm disappointed in him...

I'm disappointed in him too.. I wonder if we will see books 6 and 7.. I'd love to read them, but he seems to spend more time on the TV show, and on other background books (ie. the background of the world etc), which is not what I want to read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2019 at 8:45 AM, Athena said:

I'm disappointed in him too.. 

I would hate to be an author with that weight of expectation on me. 

He has no obligation to do anything, and if other things come up that divert him from what fans want, so what? 

You only have to look through social media to see how fickle fans are; authors should be given room to do their own thing in their own time and to be allowed to enjoy it. 

Edited by Raven

It's really very odd to be in the position that GRRM is in... people are going to moan whatever he writes...if he writes anything that is much different to what has now been on the TV show some are going to say "what???"  and yet at least one of my friends who is a big fan of the books said that he didn't see any hand of GRRM in the last season, it didn't jive with where he thought the books would go... Martin is like a victim of his own success. But if he doesn't ever write the last two books, what can they do to him anyway? presumably they can sue him for any advance he has received, but he is an old man, what does he care?

People can be crazy/stupid sometimes, I don't understand. I may be disappointed in GRRM, but I don't get dramatic over it nor do I take it to Twitter or another public (online) place, the way many other people seem to. In fact, this is probably the only really public place where I've mentioned it, and only because it came up in this conversation.