https://thebookerprizes.com/news/2019-shortlist-has-been-announced

The 2019 shortlist is:

• Margaret Atwood - The Testaments 
  • Lucy Ellmann - Ducks, Newburyport 
  • Bernardine Evaristo - Girl, Woman, Other 
  • Chigozie Obioma - An Orchestra of Minorities 
  • Salman Rushdie - Quichotte 
  • Elif Shafak - 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World 

Has anyone read any of the books or planning to? I’ve heard Atwoods ‘The Testaments’ hasn’t even been released yet so the reviewers must have really loved it.

Ive also heard some very interesting things about ‘Ducks, Newburyport’ - mainly that it’s one of the oddest yet brilliant books that many people have read. I have subsequently bought it online and am excited to see what the fuss is all about.

I find the Booker Prize quite helpful as I am trying to discover more contemporary authors and different styles of writing. Some of my favourite authors were found through the Booker Prize.

Of the six shortlisted books I'd only heard of Elif Shafak's 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World and Margaret Atwood's The Testaments. I loved The Handmaid's Tale when I read it so I've been looking forward to The Testaments anyway (although I feel like I should probably re-read The Handmaid's Tale first, so I don't miss anything!)

10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World also sounds like a great concept, though one that is obviously going to be quite emotional. 

Having looked it up afterwards, Rushdie's Quichotte sounds like it should be very good too. Maybe a book that would be more appreciated if you've already read Don Quixote though (which I haven't).

I'll be very interested to hear what you think about Ducks, Newburyport @Angury!