Your Book Activity - September 2019

Athena

Holy cow :cows:, how is it September already?!

I'm currently re-reading Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, the first book in the Commonwealth Saga. I'm liking it a lot! It's huge though so it'll probably take me a while to get through it. I aim to have it finished in a couple of weeks. I'm reading All Out together with a friend, it's an anthology so it's got a bunch of different authors on it. There are only a couple of stories left, we read a story per day so we should have it finished in a few days. This week I'm planning to read some graphic novels and manga too (the BCF read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend!), and I have a couple of other reads planned because I'm doing the ScoobyDooAThon that a friend of mine is co-hosting.

Anyway.. what's your book activity? Are you reading any book(s), did you buy / were gifted any books recently?

I'm still reading Man About Town.  The main character is a congressional adviser, so there's a fair amount of political chat at the beginning which I wasn't expecting.  Quite enjoying it so far, but I'm not even a quarter of the way through.

I bought a couple of books to read in October.  The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie (an eerie occult novel, currently being filmed for TV -- I want to read it before it airs), and Muse by James Renner, a horror-themed novella.  I'm looking forward to both.

I've got the Pale Horse for exactly the same reason!  there was a TV version a few years ago, which was OK but apparently very different to the book, think they brought Miss Marple into it but really it's a stand-alone novel.

Thanks, I never really got into Christie, I read a few of her books when I was in my teens so will be interesting to see what I think of this one!  Sounds a bit different to her usual crime, with the supernatural element.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, Athena said:

I'm currently re-reading Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton, the first book in the Commonwealth Saga.

I loved Pandora's Star when I read it years ago. It's on my re-read list. 

Currently I'm reading The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker, basically evidence of how violence has declined over time, and that we are now at our most peaceful times of our existence.  It's a long book and I expect to be reading it over the next few weeks. I'm also reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara, about her investigation and hunt for the Golden State Killer. It's an ebook that I borrowed from the library (just discovered how to do this!), so I need to finish it in the next couple of weeks. And on audiobook, I'm listening to Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky, which is a fun sci-fi read. 

Right now, I am reading two books. One for class and another for the absolute joy of reading. I have taken a calculus class and i am reading this introductory Calculus: Early Transcendentals because frankly i found the use of transcendentals so funny. But, fortunately, the book turned out to be a great comprehensive read. For my leisure and soul, I am reading Zadie Smith's Swing Time and it is really captivating. I am hoping i can finish the calculus textbook soon and read couple more of Smith's works. She has me hooooked!

Just started Captivated by Piers Dudgeon, a biographical work about the connection between J.M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan and Daphne du Maurier. I'm not too sure how far I'll get as Barrie sounds to be a thoroughly dodgy, if not evil, person and don't know how much of the sordid details I really want to read. I'm a big fan of du Maurier though and was interested to see how he influenced her writing.

Slow start to the month, but 2 books finished in quick succession: The Ionian Mission by Patrick O'Brian (the eighth volume in the Aubrey-Maturin series) and Whose Body? by Dorothy L Sayers (the first Lord Peter Whimsey novel). Neither quite as good as other volumes in the two series, but both good reads: 4/6 stars each.

I finished Man About Town by Mark Merlis.  There were three strands to the story, and I felt that all of them fizzled out somewhat at the end.  I was expecting a bit more dramatic oomph, and I didn't get it! 

I've just started Blue Sky Adam by Anthony McDonald, which is about a young man who unexpectedly inherits a vineyard in southern France.

Nothing whatsoever read in August due to a tremendous reading slump. Ugh! In 5 weeks I read That's Not My Car. 

Still, back on with it now yayh! I am currently reading Still Me which I must say I am enjoying. I will miss Lou but I feel this would be good to end the series here. 

I last read Watermelon the first in the Walsh family series. Quite disappointing but I feel I would like to read the next book. 

Currently ploughing my way through The Old Curiosity Shop.  Very curate's egg, and the best bits are NOT the ones featuring the main characters!  Little Nell is too sentimental for words - Dickens really can't write sensible women - but his 'characters' are excellent, and the narrative picks up so much when they are involved.  OK, but not his best by quite a long way.

I've just finished Blue Sky Adam.  It was a sweet, if over-idealistic story.  I'm now going to order the third book in the trilogy, Adam's Star, which will hopefully be as good.

I'm a couple of days early for my planned October reading, but I don't care -- The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie, here I come!

Finished The Old Curiosity Shop over the weekend, and managed to fit in a couple of quick reads since: The Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley (OK, but not overly wowed) and Inspector Cadaver by Georges Simenon, an above average Maigret story.  3* and 5* respectively.  Starting Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, a book group read.

Edited by willoyd

• Athena unpinned this topic