The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Kell

Anyone who would like to get hold of a copy of this book and join in the circle - there are quite a few copies available at

Green Metropolis

The Reading Circle choice for December is The Christmas Train by David Baldacci:

Tom Langdon, a weary and cash-strapped journalist, was banned from flying in the U. S. when an overly probing search wand caused him to blow his top at LaGuardia Airport. Now, the train is his only option to get to Los Angeles for Christmas to be with his girlfriend. To finance the trip, he pitches a story about a train ride taken during Christmas season to his ex-flame editor, Eleanor. Thereupon begins one of the most hilarious - and heartwarming - train rides ever. Along the way Tom encounters mechanical failures, derailments, and eccentric characters like Agnes Joe, who rides trains all the time, though no one knows why. There's also a mysterious passenger whom Tom suspects may be a fugitive, an avalanche that changes everyone's Christmas plans, unexpected romance, and a rekindling of holiday spirits. As the mighty Southwest Chief chugs along, Tom Langdon and his wonderful train adventure will have you laughing as you turn the pages. It will also reacquaint you with what makes Christmas truly special.

Some questions to consider:

1- Who was your favourite character and why?

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

5- Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

(You do not have to answer all, or indeed, any, of these questions, they are meant only as points for you to perhaps mull over as you read, and provoke more discussion. Please feel free to ask and answer any questions that come up as you read.)

• 2 weeks later...

*** Starting Chapter Three ***

This author has a wonderful style, calling pageants, blood sports, saying that the high speed Amtrak trains reminded him of the bridge on the Starship Enterprise and one quote about trains "There were no security checkpoints, no nosy wands, no inane question about whether you'd let a complete stranger load a small thermonuclear device in your carry-on..."

Reminds me a bit of an espionage writer whom I love - Ross Thomas.

*** somewhere in chapter six ***

Tom isn't quite fulfilling his "North by Nothwest" fantasy with Eva Marie Saint on The Capitol Limited, instead, as jenmck pointed out, his berth (if it is a berth) mate, Agnes Joe, is shoving him around.

Kell, is this one of yours with the allusions to a Cary Grant movie (I do read the bios)?

Loved the paragraph about ecclesiastical espionage when Father Kelly pulled him aside.

Frankly, up until he was shoved down the stairs, the guy was a bit annoying and a bit whiny.

Poor guy. Two Pulitzers and they didn't make him happy. And his pseudo Hollywood bimbo doesn't really make him happy either. Then Agnes Joe barreled him to the bottom of the steps.

I found myself cheering.

Well, as a romance reader I'm having a tough time. Recognizing that Baldacci is NOT a romance writer still hasn't made the story line appealing to me. Even though this is touted as a Christmas romance, it's not meant to be like other romances.

And it isn't.

I like Eleanor, but I just can't get on Tom's team. Ellie nails him when she says he needs to grow up. I'm almost finished with the book and he STILL hasn't.

*shakes head*.

Princessponti, that's fine. I'll be here a while, anyway. Looking at the flowers along the road.

*** Somewhere in Chapter Seven ***

In addition to movie and literature allusions, I like the references to historical sites along the way ... such as Cumberland Gap and Lovers Leap ... learning while I'm chuckling (sp?).

Apparently Baldacci writes bestselling thrillers like Absolute Power so you're correct about his idea of what a romance is. Somewhat more testosterone than the classic romance.

I've finished it. I don't know how to hide the spoilers so I won't give my final opinion until the end of the month.

I liked the writing.

I loved the characters and the twist at the end was great.

But I never did get on board with the hero. I wonder why? Mmmmm maybe he reminds me of some men I know.:(

I don't know if I'd pick up another Baldacci book in this genre, but I might try his testosterone packed stuff.

Mmmmm maybe he reminds me of some men I know.:(

Those California shoeshine boys that Laura Nyro sings about?

I like his style too - very clever - but I like him only for the humor so far.

Sorry I didn't do this before...Started chapter 10 ...

love this line... "Turns out she tipped the waiter to seat Cary with her. Beautiful women are always doing that to poor Cary Grant."

And I have to wonder why he keeps teasing Agnes Joe and then trying to avoid her. But then he's lived a life of danger and probably still expects an incendiary device to explode in his face.

Hello!!! Mine arrived and I read it :( ...now my copy is up for grabs if anyone wants me to post it on... a Christmas gift of a Christmas Train - choo choo!!

I have mixed feelings, I enjoyed the story, the titbits about the train, the journey, the quirky people Tom met; but I just didn't seem to grab a hold of Tom and really care about his plight, don't know why! .. Maybe I'm like Jenmck and he's just too familiar a character! I also found the writing style a little dry in places, like Baldacci was trying to squeeze in too many factoids in places which detracted from the action for me (but then, it seems that Pilgrim liked this, so as always it is just a matter of opinion!).

On the other hand though, it really did make me want to ride the rails across the states, looks like an interesting experience!

I'm starting to think my problem is with the heroine.

Why does she cave? Why does the happy ending happen?

The twist wasn't enough to really change her mind IMHO.

Of course, I'm reading this as a romance reader. I expect my heroines to be smart, savvy and make sense. In other words, not anything close to reality. :(

Eleanor seems to put up a big fight that makes perfect sense and then suddenly, she's going to put all her doubt aside and be with him.

*shakes head* I didn't see the reason. Maybe I missed it. Will the guys weigh in?

I've finished it. I don't know how to hide the spoilers so I won't give my final opinion until the end of the month.

I liked the writing.

I loved the characters and the twist at the end was great.

But I never did get on board with the hero. I wonder why? Mmmmm maybe he reminds me of some men I know.:(

I don't know if I'd pick up another Baldacci book in this genre, but I might try his testosterone packed stuff.

From the FAQ section..

Using the spoiler tags couldn

I read the book several years ago and from what I remember it was a readable story that I enjoyed and definitely fits in the mold of a Christmas Story that takes place on a Train. Trains in themselves are interesting.

Changing the subject a little. One of my favorite Baldacci books is "Wish You Well".............

The year is 1940. After a car accident kills 12-year-old Lou's and 7-year-old Oz's father and leaves their mother Amanda in a catatonic trance, the children find themselves sent from New York City to their great-grandmother Louisa's farm in Virginia. Louisa's hardscrabble existence comes as a profound shock to precocious Lou and her shy brother. Still struggling to absorb their abandonment, they enter gamely into a life that tests them at every turn--and offers unimaginable rewards. For Lou, who dreams of following in her father's literary footsteps, the misty, craggy Appalachians and the equally rugged individuals who make the mountains their home quickly become invested with an almost mythic significance:

They took metal cups from nails on the wall and dipped them in the water, and then sat outside and drank. Louisa picked up the green leaves of a mountain spurge growing next to the springhouse, which revealed beautiful purple blossoms completely hidden underneath. "One of God's little secrets," she explained. Lou sat there, cup cradled between her dimpled knees, watching and listening to her great-grandmother in the pleasant shade...

Changing the subject a little. One of my favorite Baldacci books is "Wish You Well".............

For Lou, who dreams of following in her father's literary footsteps, the misty, craggy Appalachians and the equally rugged individuals who make the mountains their home quickly become invested with an almost mythic significance:

They took metal cups from nails on the wall and dipped them in the water, and then sat outside and drank. Louisa picked up the green leaves of a mountain spurge growing next to the springhouse, which revealed beautiful purple blossoms completely hidden underneath. "One of God's little secrets," she explained. Lou sat there, cup cradled between her dimpled knees, watching and listening to her great-grandmother in the pleasant shade...

That is beautiful - those hidden things we uncover sometimes that few see. I once lifted up a can on a shelf and found a cluster of baby ladybugs no bigger than a pin head each. It looked like a the surface of a beaded bag. I don't expect to ever see that again.

This book has ties to the Appalacians too in Ellie and Julie's (of Julie and Steve) rural origins. The author must have some affinity for the area and the ability to make something of ones self (especially as a writer) in spite of poverty.

Tom seems to have a good heart (I'm about half-way through because mysteries are a daily necessity and this book has only a touch of that and so far no murder). He bailed out Regina as the thief of that lawyer's possessions and he spent time with Agnes and her Christmas music because she needed company. I'm not too into the romance yet but the narrative is still fun. I do think that some romances (in books) go through some strange twists and some pain inflicted (like Mr Rochester before he reveals his love to Jane) to test the heroine. Haven't figured out Ellie yet but it all seems peripheral to the story at this point for me.

Hi, Just finished the book.

Someone wondered why Eleanor decided to go with Tom. Maybe the turning point was when he was initially going to ski to the lodge alone. Perhaps she was thinking she'd lose him for sure. Also, she did say she never stopped loving him. I didn't find the book too deep. However, it is a good, easy Christmas read in which everything turns out okay, and there is an added twist at the end. With that, I would recommend it for a December read.

I think Roxanne was the low for me. She was too much of a stereotype.

Also, as the plot was building it lost most of its cleverness with the exception of a cute simile of him banging his head on the window like a trapped bird when Leila asked him to marry her. For me if an author is going to start out clever he has to maintain it, else you better be writing a murder mystery.

That said, I need a dose of Fforde or Pratchett.

Otherwise, nice story.