Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

      The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
karen.d

Recommendations for books with Disabled characters

Recommended Posts

Hi, I wonder if anyone could suggest books, which have a main character with a disability , who are not portrayed as weak and defenseless, or are not portrayed as the 'baddie' in the book please? I've seen these tropes enough in books and I'm fed up of it.

 

I have a a physical disability myself, so I would like to read something with this representation. It'll also help me with my TBR list for the Disability Read-a-thon in October.

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  can think of a few but they're mainly crime, however the main characters do have a disability:

 

C J Sansom's Shardlake series -  the main character is a lawyer who has a hunchback (not a very PC term I'm afraid)

 

Robert Galbraith's series featuring private detective Cormoran Strike, who lost a leg in one of the recent Middle East conflicts (haven't read these for a while but I think it was in Afghanistan) - he's a troubled character but essentially decent

 

and then there's Game of Thrones, where one of the main characters is a person of restricted height (again sorry if  that's not the correct term) but he is one of the best characters and although he is much maligned (and at one point does do something pretty awful, although he has his reasons) he is highly intelligent, witty and extremely resourceful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I  can think of a few but they're mainly crime, however the main characters do have a disability:

 

C J Sansom's Shardlake series -  the main character is a lawyer who has a hunchback (not a very PC term I'm afraid)

 

Robert Galbraith's series featuring private detective Cormoran Strike, who lost a leg in one of the recent Middle East conflicts (haven't read these for a while but I think it was in Afghanistan) - he's a troubled character but essentially decent

 

and then there's Game of Thrones, where one of the main characters is a person of restricted height (again sorry if  that's not the correct term) but he is one of the best characters and although he is much maligned (and at one point does do something pretty awful, although he has his reasons) he is highly intelligent, witty and extremely resourceful.

Thanks for your suggestions! I did try and read the first book in the 'Game of Thrones' series and wasn't very keen on the writing style. Maybe it gets better as you read on? 

I'll definitely try and look up the other 2 books thougg!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you read  the autobiography My Left Foot by Christy Brown, Karen?  He  was born with cerebral palsy and went on to be an author, painter and poet.

I agree, it's annoying to have physically disabled characters always portrayed as weak or the villians!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, poppy said:

Have you read  the autobiography My Left Foot by Christy Brown, Karen?  He  was born with cerebral palsy and went on to be an author, painter and poet.

I agree, it's annoying to have physically disabled characters always portrayed as weak or the villians!

No, I haven't read 'My Left Foot', thanks for your suggestion ☺️. I'll add it to my list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, karen.d said:

Thanks for your suggestions! I did try and read the first book in the 'Game of Thrones' series and wasn't very keen on the writing style. Maybe it gets better as you read on? 

I'll definitely try and look up the other 2 books thougg!

 

 

I actually found the 2nd book harder to get into than the first one, the writing style was quite different.  Still if you think it's not your thing that's fair enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend the Lincoln Rhyme series by crime writer Jeffery Deaver. There are about 14 books so far in the series, all really good crime thrillers, well paced with good characters.

 

Here's the start of the synopsis for the first book in the series, The Bone Collector, 

Lincoln Rhyme, ex-head of NYPD forensics, was the nation’s foremost criminalist, the man who could work a crime scene and come away with a perfect profile of the killer, frozen in time. Now, Lincoln is frozen in place — permanently. An accident on the job left him a quadriplegic who can move just one finger, a great mind strapped to his bed, mulish and sarcastic, hiding from a life he no longer wants to live. Until he sees the crime-scene report about a corpse found buried on a deserted West Side railroad track.

 

A stand alone novel, also by Jeffery Deaver that is a firm favourite of mine is A Maiden's Grave, a hostage taking / FBI negotiation setting. 

A school bus stops at a car crash on an isolated road. The two teachers and their deaf students are immediately captured by three escaped convicts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I would recommend the Lincoln Rhyme series by crime writer Jeffery Deaver. There are about 14 books so far in the series, all really good crime thrillers, well paced with good characters.

 

Here's the start of the synopsis for the first book in the series, The Bone Collector, 

Lincoln Rhyme, ex-head of NYPD forensics, was the nation’s foremost criminalist, the man who could work a crime scene and come away with a perfect profile of the killer, frozen in time. Now, Lincoln is frozen in place — permanently. An accident on the job left him a quadriplegic who can move just one finger, a great mind strapped to his bed, mulish and sarcastic, hiding from a life he no longer wants to live. Until he sees the crime-scene report about a corpse found buried on a deserted West Side railroad track.

 

A stand alone novel, also by Jeffery Deaver that is a firm favourite of mine is A Maiden's Grave, a hostage taking / FBI negotiation setting. 

A school bus stops at a car crash on an isolated road. The two teachers and their deaf students are immediately captured by three escaped convicts.

Has the novel been adapted into a film with Morgan Freeman? If it's the same one, then this was a brilliant film. So I will be adding this to my TBR. Thanks for the suggestion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from Unbroken which I think I recommended in another thread to you, I just thought of another book. Accessing the Future is a science-fiction short story anthology with a theme of disability. There's a story in there that features a girl with spina bifida if I remember it correctly :friends3:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athena said:

Aside from Unbroken which I think I recommended in another thread to you, I just thought of another book. Accessing the Future is a science-fiction short story anthology with a theme of disability. There's a story in there that features a girl with spina bifida if I remember it correctly :friends3:.

Ohh this sounds interesting! I will look this up too, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×