Reading political books in public

Hello all,

I'm going away soon and will be going on a lot of trains. My friend gave me a box full of books for me to read and I noticed there were a few political books: 

Margaret Thatcher’s memoirs - The Path to Power and The Downing Street Years.

The_Path_to_Power_(Margaret_Thatcher).jp

Downing_street_years_1st_ed.jpg

Karl Marx - Wage-Labour and Capital & Value, Price and Profit and Capital:

Now those books on the political spectrum are complete opposites. However, if I were to read Thatcher’s memoirs, would people assume I am a Conservative/Tory? Similarly, if I were to read Marx’s books, would people assume I am a Marxist/communist?

For what it’s worth, I am not really political. But, I am interested in reading different types of books, including politics ones. 

Thank you.

On 13/08/2019 at 10:46 AM, itsmeagain said:

No one will assume anything about the reading you do.

On 18/08/2019 at 7:21 AM, Quinn said:

I would think that if people are making negative assumptions about a stranger based on the books they are reading, then the problem lies with them, not with your choice of reading material.

Well said! People take less notice of others than we believe. If I see what someone is reading my thoughts are "Have I read it?", "Should I read it?" and "I wonder if they are enjoying it?" :)

Edited by Chrissy

On 22/08/2019 at 12:47 PM, Chrissy said:

Well said! People take less notice of others than we believe. If I see what someone is reading my thoughts are "Have I read it?", "Should I read it?" and "I wonder if they are enjoying it?" :)

I find it very intrusive to be trying to weigh up politics via a book someone is holding.