Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Hayley

      Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

      The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Athena

Introverts & Extraverts

Introverts & Extraverts  

13 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

    • Introvert
      11
    • Extravert
      0
    • Ambivert
      0
    • Eh what do these terms mean? / Other (please comment)
      2


Recommended Posts

I'm currently reading a Dutch book about introverts (Ik moet nog even kijken of ik kan by Liesbeth Smit). We have a topic on Introverts in the Debate Forum, but it was Kylie's personal thread and I wanted to include a poll, so I thought I'd start a new topic. For those looking for the old topic, here it is.

 

I haven't finished the book I'm reading yet, but I'd love to know if you feel you're an introvert, extravert, ambivert or something else. Feel free to vote in the poll and / or comment if you feel comfortable with that.

 

For myself, I'm very much an introvert. I also am autistic and have ADD, so I have to really limit the amount of input signals I get every day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly didn't know ambivert was a word until I saw this!

 

I'm definitely an introvert. In social situations I'd much rather just listen than feel I have to speak and if I've spent a lot of time with other people, even if it was really lovely to see them, I start to crave quiet time by myself.

 

What does your book say about introverts @Athena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely an introvert.  I much prefer time on my own than with others.  Luckily my job is about 85% on my own in my own office, with minimal contact with others.  That little contact I do have is just enough for me.  Occasionally I cover reception, and after an hour or so of having that contact with other people I start to feel a little nuts, and need to be on my own again.  My favourite time is the evening when I'm at home on my own reading.  Now I live on my own it's even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also definitely an introvert.  Work is very lively, thanks to an open plan office, there are about 35 or so of us plus various other people who work at the desks in the open area, and sometimes there can be a meeting taking place as well, you can't hear yourself think sometimes:hide:.  Add to that traffic noise and the racket from the building across the road that's being renovated..... then noisy public transport on the way home - the bus can be a nightmare - and when I do get home I need to recover sometimes:wibbly:!  thank goodness it's summer (sort of ) and I can potter about in the garden if it's not raining.

 

I'm also not that mad about large gatherings, I prefer a few friends at a time, otherwise I never get to catch up with anyone as it's too noisy or everyone's too busy talking to everyone else.  Everywhere seems so noisy nowadays, sigh.

Edited by Madeleine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

also definitely an introvert.  Work is very lively, thanks to an open plan office, there are about 35 or so of us plus various other people who work at the desks in the open area, and sometimes there can be a meeting taking place as well, you can't hear yourself think sometimes:hide:.  Add to that traffic noise and the racket from the building across the road that's being renovated..... then noisy public transport on the way home - the bus can be a nightmare - and when I do get home I need to recover sometimes:wibbly:!  thank goodness it's summer (sort of ) and I can potter about in the garden if it's not raining.

 

I'm also not that mad about large gatherings, I prefer a few friends at a time, otherwise I never get to catch up with anyone as it's too noisy or everyone's too busy talking to everyone else.  Everywhere seems so noisy nowadays, sigh.

 

That sort of workplace would drive me nuts Madeleine.  I used to work in an open plan office, but only about 10-15 people max, but it was still sometimes too much interaction for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, Hayley said:

I honestly didn't know ambivert was a word until I saw this!

 

I'm definitely an introvert. In social situations I'd much rather just listen than feel I have to speak and if I've spent a lot of time with other people, even if it was really lovely to see them, I start to crave quiet time by myself.

 

What does your book say about introverts @Athena

 

Pretty much that, yes! It also says that in the brain, introverts and extraverts are differently wired and that genetics play a large role in it (rather than upbringing).

 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:39 AM, bookmonkey said:

I'm definitely an introvert.  I much prefer time on my own than with others.  Luckily my job is about 85% on my own in my own office, with minimal contact with others.  That little contact I do have is just enough for me.  Occasionally I cover reception, and after an hour or so of having that contact with other people I start to feel a little nuts, and need to be on my own again.  My favourite time is the evening when I'm at home on my own reading.  Now I live on my own it's even better.

 

I'm glad you have a lot of time where you can be on your own :).

 

15 hours ago, Madeleine said:

also definitely an introvert.  Work is very lively, thanks to an open plan office, there are about 35 or so of us plus various other people who work at the desks in the open area, and sometimes there can be a meeting taking place as well, you can't hear yourself think sometimes:hide:.  Add to that traffic noise and the racket from the building across the road that's being renovated..... then noisy public transport on the way home - the bus can be a nightmare - and when I do get home I need to recover sometimes:wibbly:!  thank goodness it's summer (sort of ) and I can potter about in the garden if it's not raining.

 

I'm also not that mad about large gatherings, I prefer a few friends at a time, otherwise I never get to catch up with anyone as it's too noisy or everyone's too busy talking to everyone else.  Everywhere seems so noisy nowadays, sigh.

 

That sounds like a difficult place to work for an introvert! I'm glad it helps you to spend time in your garden doing gardening things :).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had to 'tick' Other on the list! 

 

Although I wouldn't call myself an introvert, I don't I am particularly extrovert either, and the term ambivert seemed to suggest that you would swing between the two. I can be social enough when I have to be (not centre of attention though), but I MUST have regular alone time. I live a quiet life, and love it! :D  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2019 at 6:08 PM, Hayley said:

I honestly didn't know ambivert was a word until I saw this!

 

I'm definitely an introvert. In social situations I'd much rather just listen than feel I have to speak and if I've spent a lot of time with other people, even if it was really lovely to see them, I start to crave quiet time by myself.

 

Yes this is me too! I prefer to chip in to a conversation rather than dominate it. I need a lot of space and I love living alone as I get to control how much 'people' time I have. I don't mind being in the spotlight now and again as long as it passes over me pretty quicky! Too much attention and I can feel the need to hide! :lurker: Oddly most of my friends are fairly extrovert so I do tend to get on with extroverts quite well! Perhaps it works because there's less talking for me to do!! Even though I'm more of a listener than a talker I can find a lot of listening quite draining. Sometimes this is a problem when I'm with particularly chatty person and can't get a word in, I feel like it's information overload!

 

I sometimes I find I'm such an introvert that I forget I do need company now and again and have to consciously stop myself from being a hermit!

 

2 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I've had to 'tick' Other on the list! 

 

Although I wouldn't call myself an introvert, I don't I am particularly extrovert either, and the term ambivert seemed to suggest that you would swing between the two. I can be social enough when I have to be (not centre of attention though), but I MUST have regular alone time. I live a quiet life, and love it! :D  

 

I don't think your vote registered as the poll is showing the forum to be 100% introvert at the moment :)

Edited by ~Andrea~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

I don't think your vote registered as the poll is showing the forum to be 100% introvert at the moment :)

 

I had clicked the poll button, but not the submit! 

 

This is an interesting subject to discuss. It makes you consider who you are as a person. I use to be apologetic for needing alone time and quiet time etc. but as I get older the more I recognise my own deeply felt needs and the less I care about what others think of them! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've got more introverted as I've got older.  When I was younger I would be with groups of people a lot more, and not seem to mind.  I didn't mind being alone, but didn't crave it as much as I do now.  Now I find I really need to be alone a lot more, and really don't like being with large groups very much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I've had to 'tick' Other on the list! 

 

Although I wouldn't call myself an introvert, I don't I am particularly extrovert either, and the term ambivert seemed to suggest that you would swing between the two. I can be social enough when I have to be (not centre of attention though), but I MUST have regular alone time. I live a quiet life, and love it! :D  

 

I was torn between introvert and ambivert. I prefer to be by myself but also enjoy talking with people. Like Andrea I'm more comfortable with extroverts as I don't particularly like talking about myself. I always find others far more interesting than myself anyway :lol: But too much chatter leaves me drained and befuddled :wacko: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we intros are winning!  I've never heard of an ambivert either, interesting term.  I don't mind being with extroverts but sometimes they can be a bit overpowering - depends on their personality but some people can be domineering, and exhausting to be with after a while!  Not such a bad thing, we're all different after all and you have to have a balance of the different types of personality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/08/2019 at 3:42 AM, poppy said:

 

I was torn between introvert and ambivert. I prefer to be by myself but also enjoy talking with people. Like Andrea I'm more comfortable with extroverts as I don't particularly like talking about myself. I always find others far more interesting than myself anyway :lol: But too much chatter leaves me drained and befuddled :wacko: 

Interesting Poppy.

I am an introvert but can truly express myself with people I am comfy with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Interesting Poppy.

I am an introvert but can truly express myself with people I am comfy with.

 

That's true Sean, it's easy to be chatty with close friends and family, I was more thinking of talking with strangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's true Sean, it's easy to be chatty with close friends and family, I was more thinking of talking with strangers.

 

Me too, not at all good with strangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an introvert, and I think that I have always been an introvert, especially as a child. As I get older (I'm 54 years old) I need more quiet time for my self, just to cope with life, in general.

 

I don't think that that is a bad thing; I just feel that I look at life from a different angle from most people. I find that most peoples lives are so chaotic and frenetic, and quite often aggressive with others around them.

 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:06 AM, bookmonkey said:

I think I've got more introverted as I've got older.  When I was younger I would be with groups of people a lot more, and not seem to mind.  I didn't mind being alone, but didn't crave it as much as I do now.  Now I find I really need to be alone a lot more, and really don't like being with large groups very much.  

 

That is exactly how I feel too! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Madeleine said:

That's true Sean, it's easy to be chatty with close friends and family, I was more thinking of talking with strangers.

 

Me too, not at all good with strangers.

I can talk confidently in meetings with strangers; I have no wish to entertain people who wish to tell the world about their ideas etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

I can talk confidently in meetings with strangers; I have no wish to entertain people who wish to tell the world about their ideas etc.

 

That's a very valuable skill to have! I become a nervous wreck if I have to address a group (fortunately it's not something I'm called on to do now) but I'm ok just talking casually in a group.

(memo to self ... don't bring up latest brainwaves with itsmeagain ... whoops:giggle2:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it very difficult to talk with strangers, it tires me extremely.

 

For me, the more people there are in the group, the less I'll say (even when you average it). Also, the more people there are, the more tiring it gets for me. I find it scary to talk in groups too, Poppy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2019 at 4:22 PM, Athena said:

I find it very difficult to talk with strangers, it tires me extremely.

 

For me, the more people there are in the group, the less I'll say (even when you average it). Also, the more people there are, the more tiring it gets for me. I find it scary to talk in groups too, Poppy!

:I-Agree: This is exactly how I feel too. A group of extroverts, plus small talk, are the most unpleasant social experiences I have had. It always makes me feel like I am an alien, lost on a strange planet. In these social situations, I just want to disappear, and hope that the host has pets that I can have a conversation with! :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marie H said:

:I-Agree: This is exactly how I feel too. A group of extroverts, plus small talk, are the most unpleasant social experiences I have had. It always makes me feel like I am an alien, lost on a strange planet. In these social situations, I just want to disappear, and hope that the host has pets that I can have a conversation with! :blush:

 

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way :friends3:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Athena said:

 

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way :friends3:.

It's good for introverts to share their experiences, in a comfortable and friendly forum, like BCF, and know that we are not alone.

14 minutes ago, Athena said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an introvert. For those of you who might be familiar with MBTI, I'm an INFP.

 

I find it interesting -- but not surprising, I suppose -- that so many of the respondents are introverts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2019 at 10:27 AM, poppy said:

 

That's a very valuable skill to have! I become a nervous wreck if I have to address a group (fortunately it's not something I'm called on to do now) but I'm ok just talking casually in a group.

(memo to self ... don't bring up latest brainwaves with itsmeagain ... whoops:giggle2:)

You  are ok Bron.😆😁

Not aimed at you; the scenario is the stranger sidling up in a pub or a train, especially if drunk.

Expert on everything, knows nothing.. and you are about to listen.😊☺️🤩

Edited by itsmeagain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×