How many books do you own?

Verre

I would estimate that I own around 1,000 books or more and I probably have only read about 1/3 of those. :blush: Of course, there are also the books that I have read that I no longer own as I donate the ones I don't like to the library or charity.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have alot of books. Not sure how many. At the moment this is okay as we don't have any kids and our spare room is a book room. But if we have children there will need to be a clear out.

I have heard a theory that book lovers should only own one bookshelf. Then if you want to keep a book you first have to lose another one. It means you will be more careful at editing what books you keep.

Anyone agree with this?

I think I may try it in the future.

I have heard a theory that book lovers should only own one bookshelf. Then if you want to keep a book you first have to lose another one. It means you will be more careful at editing what books you keep.

Anyone agree with this?

That's crazy talk! ohmy.gif I couldn't even fit my most favouritist (yes, favouritist) books on one shelf!

Anyone agree with this?

I think I'm that book lover. I only own 58 books (that's excluding the 12 on my TBR pile and the 20 that's headed for donation). They all fit nicely on my one book case. I love books, but I'm fussy and have learned the hard way not to overspend. I think I might be too serious for my own good... :blush:

Not really sure, but it's somewhere between two and three thousand between the two of us, probably split up as half are my reading books, a quarter are OH's reading books and the rest reference books.

Wow!!! You could open your own bookshop if you could bear to part with them :D

Wow!!! You could open your own bookshop if you could bear to part with them :D

I can but dream :D

I'm in the middle of a cull to give a batch to the charity shop shortly. There's about 60 books on the coffee table waiting, and I've got the upstairs bookshelves to go through so it will probably be around 100 or so on their way to a new home soon. Will be buying fewer actual books from now on, and choosing ebooks where possible, so hopefully, my shelves might be able to be better organised and a bit more tidy, with just the special books I love.

Wow, that's a pretty awesome collection!! My own consists of around 250 fantasy novels, combined with my wife's would number around 500? I stopped buying too many novels a while back, as I wanted to get Hardcover only, and they are a bit more expensive :( Cheers, Rob <BR><BR>

How many books do I own? Well, being a complete bibliophile - I feel better at the sight of a filled bookcase - I have quite a few. 1100-ish is my guess, covering 2 floor-to-ceiling bookcases, but I am merely a sixth former, so I expect my collection will grow. But, I'm sure there must be someone out there with a collection that far surpasses mine. Any challengers?
Edited by Chrissy
Removed Link

I'm not sure of the exact number, but probably about 100-200 books, spread across two continents. I took loads over to the USA when my parents emigrated, and so loads have stayed there.

The ones I keep here in the UK are my more recent books and some of my favourites. There are still a lot that I want to re-read across the pond, mainly books I read when I was younger. Maybe I'll get them back at some point to fill my shelves again.

Blimey...I've done a quick average calculation - 20 books per shelf; 63 shelves - which brings me to a total of 1260. And there's loads more ion my garage, 'cos I haven't got any more room. I need to have a word with myself...

I used to purchase all of my books, but then it got too expensive and I didn't see a point. About a year ago I sold a ton of them on Ebay and at used bookstores. At that time I probably had about 600 books. Now, I mainly just have my Earth's Children series in hardback and Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series on my shelf. These days I do all of my reading from the library.

I thought it was time to give this thread a bump.

My post above was written about 3 years ago, and my prediction came true. I have (more than) doubled my collection in just a few years and I have over 1,300 books according to Goodreads.

I'm not going to attempt any predictions for the next few years because I know I'll get depressed if I realise how many more books are likely to be added to my TBR pile.

Our collection has grown as well. In house we have just over 4000, with almost 900 still in OH's storage, to be delivered by yet undetermined means. Soon I hope. :)

Anyone agree with this?

No, considering the familial attachment I have to a good number of the books we have, I won't be culling too many soon, if ever. I have given away books to Good Will, or friends, several boxes a few years ago. But they were books that were either mistakes, or accidental duplicates, or even authors that I am no longer interested in, as my tastes have changed some over the decades.

I wonder at any hard and fast rule regarding the disposition of our books. We change, both our tastes and circumstances. So, I suppose I'd have to say.....never say never.

Also, I hasten to add that 80% of our books have been purchased either second hand, through Amazon Marketplace, or Library Sales, or even garage sales. No way to afford them otherwise.

Edited by pontalba

Similar to chesilbeach. I've been steadily cataloguing on LibraryThing, and am up to 1400 at present, being about 2/3 the way through, so estimate around 2000. OH would make another few hundred. I cull regularly as we're right at the top end of our storage limit: I've just cleared out 3-4 boxes worth which are going to a second hand bookstall at the school Christmas Fair. They're a realy mixture, with no more than one third fiction, plus a predomination of history, historical biography, sciences and travel.

This is madness...madness, I tell you! Getting rid of my books would be like...would be like...I don't even know what is would be like, but it wouldn't be good, lady. It would not be good! mocking.gif