How many books do you own?

Verre

I'm with Michelle. The only books I own (apart from all the ones waiting to be read) are reference books and the very few "treasured" ones, like signed copies.

Don't see the point of hanging onto things that are only going to clutter the place up - far better to pass them on so other people can get the same enjoyment (or, in the case of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness ......) that I did.

Can't see how that's a heinous crime, personally.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 68 on my shelf that I know about, there a few more to add from my weekend swapping and buying!

These are reading, I also have about 100 reference books which I use or look at regularly.

I do not keep my books once I've read them so with you Michelle, sell, swap or pass on!

Guest fireball

Please don't be so critical of people who have different ideas / views than you.

I'm far for being critical, Michelle, the whole reason for fourms like these, is diversity's is the name of the game, it was just the
But then again, I don't keep many of my books once read.
that irked me that's all. Like you, I was just expressing MY opinion. Sorry you don't like it.

As evidenced by my previous post I wouldn't dream of getting rid of any of my books, they include my great grandfathers, grandfathers, my mothers, great uncles....my family has read and reread so many of them. Many are gifts from loved ones that are no longer with me, it would be like giving away a piece of them.

Maybe I am too sentimental, but so be it. The books are not things to me, they are attachments to people, places and times that are gone.

If I kept every book I've ever read, I would be swimming through piles of books! I just recently gave away or sold about 200 of my books, many of which I never read, and was never going to. The books I keep are the ones that I know I will re-read, and since I'm a big re-reader, I keep a lot. But if I'm not going to read it, and if I know I'm not going to re-read it, I'll get rid of it!:welcome:

When I moved my textbooks this week I had a count and I think I have 47 Theology/biblical books, around 10 music books, plus a few other reference books such as dictionary, encyclopedia, thesaurus, biographical dictionary, quotations dictionary, a book about lettering and also with those are 32 christian fiction books. I still have to count my children's and other fiction books.

I only keep Stephen King books and "sets" Lord of the Ring, His Dark Materials, Earths Children etc that I liked or dont have the complete set of. The others are read and passed round the family my Mum reads a lot since she retired (lucky thing) and my SIL doesn't work (even luckier thing) so we swap quite often. I suppose I have about 150 books including all my gardening books and OH's car books. Not bad really. If I had the room I would have a libary stacked FULL of all sorts then I would have thousands of books :welcome:

I donated over 300 books to the library last year and gave many more away to friends. Our new house does not have the bookcases that our other house had. I still have boxes and boxes of books in our storage area. There are some that I cannot give away.

btw chicken. I enjoyed the Ayla books and still have all of them.

btw chicken. I enjoyed the Ayla books and still have all of them.

You lucky thing. I had the first one Clan of the Cave Bear (?) and lost it, the second one I lent to Mum and she lost it (!) I only have one at the moment, but am keeping my eyes open round car boot sales etc hoping to get them again. How many are there now. We seem to have very similar taste in literature dont we :welcome:

Not sure as I am apart from my book collection but I think there are 5 of the Earth books. I think my favorite may be 'Valley of the Horses. Now that the subject is up I am somewhat thinking of going back and re-reading a few of them.