How many books do you own?

Verre

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never counted my books until now.... I have 500+ at home, probably around 50 on my Kindle and 100+ still at my parents from years ago!... no wonder I have bookcases lining almost an entire wall in the study! :D

I recently got rid of about 200 books. I was well over 1,000, I never counted. I think I'm down to maybe 800. This is physical books. I don't count what is on my 2 e-readers.

Wow, that's a pretty big cull! One-fifth of your books...

I'm heading off to a book fair in a few weeks, so I'd better have a look through my shelves and see if there are any I want to donate to the cause...

• 2 weeks later...

How many books do I own?

Well, being a complete bibliophile - I feel better at the sight of a filled bookcase - I have quite a few. 1100-ish is my guess, covering 2 floor-to-ceiling bookcases, but I am merely a sixth former, so I expect my collection will grow.

But, I'm sure there must be someone out there with a collection that far surpasses mine. Any challengers?

Hello, Verre

It was getting to the stage, where space was paramount. I was still keeping more books than taking to the charity shop. And I remained adamant I would keep all the dozens and dozens of the remaining ones. My answer being, amazon kindle. No, not the same as handling a book. But it will ease the storage problem. Plus I do like the font size alteration button. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted on this forum for ages (more fool me) and I suspect this comment may have quite an impact!

My book-buying mania is so completely out of hand, I cannot give an exact figure as to how many I own; not even to the nearest five hundred. About two and a half years ago a fairly rough estimation suggested I had four and a half thousand. That would suggest (on an even rougher estimate) I have between five and six thousand now. Yes, you needn't point it out, it's obvious even to me: I'm insane!

I've recently started transferring my written catalogue on to spreadsheets so give me three or four years and I shall get back to you with a more definitive answer...by which time the collection will have grown even more and the ceiling finally given way (but for a few hundred in the attic, they're all in one room!).

My book-buying mania is so completely out of hand, I cannot give an exact figure as to how many I own; not even to the nearest five hundred. About two and a half years ago a fairly rough estimation suggested I had four and a half thousand. That would suggest (on an even rougher estimate) I have between five and six thousand now. Yes, you needn't point it out, it's obvious even to me: I'm insane!

Suddenly, my 1,000 books (give or take a few) doesn't seem like that many. :giggle2:

Suddenly, my 1,000 books (give or take a few) doesn't seem like that many. :giggle2:

That shows an admirable restraint on your part. Please don't ruin it by following my example. I'd hate to see my mania used to justify reckless and gratuitous book-buying.

May my example be a warning to you all!

If you would want to read a certain book, Larry, can you find it?

If I had so many books, I would drown in a complete chaos and never know, where I could find it.

Strangely enough I can put my hands on anything I'm after...it just might take a while. You see, I haven't got a single book on a single shelf! (The 200-plus DVDs occupy the shelves) They're all in various boxes (about 45, mainly veg boxes) and drawers. I keep certain author's works together in a specific box or drawer, so I do have a system. Of course, it constitutes an inpromptu workput every time I try to retrieve something because it will invariably be in the box at the bottom that has six others stacked on top of it, or right at the back of the wardrobe, but I always get it.

If I didn't have a system I'd never be able to find anything and it would be kind of pointless having so many (if it isn't already).