Bernard Shaw's Candida review

Hello, hope you are all having a nice day. i finished yesterday reading the famous play "Candida", actually it's my second play to read after reading The People of the Cave, 1933 by one of the pioneers of the Arabic novel and drama Tawfik Al-Hakim

George Bernard Shaw (26 July 1856 – 2 November 1950), known at his insistence simply as Bernard Shaw, was an Irish playwright, critic, polemicist and political activist. His influence on Western theatre, culture and politics extended from the 1880s to his death and beyond. He wrote more than sixty plays " Wikipedia".

Candida is an play about the wife of a clergyman must choose between her husband and a man who idealises her, althought it's categorised as a comedy play, but i couldn't feel that at all, it's more like a psychological drama to me. 

my favorite act was the first one when Marchbanks came out from his shyness to the truth and told James Mavor Morell all what he have ever felt, while my favorite character was actually Miss Proserpine Garnett.

i admired how James Morell acted in patience when first Eugene talked to him, he kept his anger in the beginning while talking to him about how he understand Mrs. Morell in such an amazing way! also i admired how Candida described James as the weakest one, and how she complete him, while Eugene was the strongest as he used to live alone because of his relationship with his family.

i admired also how James didn't want to hurt Eugene when Candida started to be mad at him, he was already hurt enough.

something i noticed and couldn't like it, in the third act, James said that he is going to give her all what he have from honor, support and power.. while Eugene said that he can't give her anything but cowardness and shy, why none said that he can give her his love? i understand that James said love through his acts, but it still doesn't work to me.

the end of the play was really smart and marvelous.

i liked and was amazed by how Candida was the strongest and the smartest person and the play, i mean she can be the angel and the villain, she can shares her jokes while stabbing James and Eugene at the same time! pretty interesting!.

would you like to recommend me your favorite play! i'd like to read more plays this summer

Thanks for reading, have a wonderful day.

"CANDIDA. When I am thirty, she will be forty-five. When I am sixty, she will be seventy-five.

MARCHBANKS (turning to her). In a hundred years, we shall be the same age. But I have a better secret than that in my heart. Let me go now. The night outside grows impatient.

CANDIDA. Good-bye. (She takes his face in her hands; and as he divines her intention and bends his knee, she kisses his forehead. Then he flies out into the night. She turns to Morell, holding out her arms to him.) Ah, James! (They embrace. But they do not know the secret in the poet's heart.)"