Poppy's Progress 2019

poppy

Onions In the Stew by Betty MacDonald

This book is set round the 40's and 50's, where she and family move to Vashon Island in the Puget Sounds, Washington. There is no road to their house and they have to either walk along the beach if the tide is out or a dirt trail each morning to get to work (via ferry) or school. Another very funny book where visitors arrive in droves and sometimes stay for months.

Not only do I love Betty's down to earth sense of humour, but she writes beautifully descriptive passages.

Describing Vashon Island ...

'From the water, Vashon looks like a stout gentleman taking a Sunday nap under a wooly dark green afghan. The afghan, obviously homemade, is fringed on the edges, occasionally lumpy, eked out with odds and ends of paler and darker wools, but very ample so that it falls in thick folds to the water.'

I've read all her books several times over many years and still enjoy them as much as the first time.

★★★★

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Diary of Two Nobodies by Mary Killen and Giles Wood

After watching the TV programme Gogglebox, I discovered my favourite couple had written a book together. Giles is particularly eccentric and reading the pairs diary entries about each other is amusing.

★★★

Edited by poppy

15 hours ago, poppy said:

If you enjoy humorous, well written books, you'll like hers, Andrea. Similar to Erma Bombeck if you're familiar to her, but I actually like Betty's books more.

Just realised there's one of hers I haven't reviewed!

I do. Not heard of Emma Bombeck but I'm already sold on Betty McDonald.

14 hours ago, poppy said:

The Diary of Two Nobodies by Mary Killen and Giles Wood

After watching the TV programme Googlebox, I discovered my favourite couple had written a book together. Giles is particularly eccentric and reading the pairs diary entries about each other is amusing.

★★★

That sounds good too! This thread is becoming a dangerous place :lol:

16 hours ago, poppy said:

★★★

How do you insert those stars, please?  Where do you find them? Can find emoticons, but not shapes etc like this. Or have you copied and pasted from somewhere else?  TIA!

13 hours ago, ~Andrea~ said:

I do. Not heard of Emma Bombeck but I'm already sold on Betty McDonald.

That sounds good too! This thread is becoming a dangerous place :lol:

They are some of my favourite go-to comfort books :blush:

12 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

It does. I've always been intrigued as to why they affectionately call each other Nutty. 

I don't think they remember themselves! :lol:

11 hours ago, willoyd said:

How do you insert those stars, please?  Where do you find them? Can find emoticons, but not shapes etc like this. Or have you copied and pasted from somewhere else?  TIA!

There are ALT codes for stars ... ALT plus 9733 or 9734 but they don't work for me, I get a  club ♣ and a spade ♠ (they may work for you).

So I use this site https://coolsymbol.com/star-symbols-star-signs.html and copy and paste, them you can resize them with the font size button. Hope that helps :)

• 1 month later...

The Other Mitford: Pamela's Story by Diana Alexander

Pamela is the second of the Mitford sisters and the least well known. She was mercilessly teased by older sister Nancy but took it in good humour which seems to be her general approach to life. The author knew Pamela and the rest of the Mitfords well, so some more interesting insights into this fascinating family. Pamela often acted as peacemaker between the very conflicting personalities and political views of the family and seemed to be loved by all.

★★★