E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

Hi,

82%282%29.gif Has anyone bought the new Amazon Kindle ? I've heard its pretty cool and feels a lot like reading a normal book. There are something like 200k+ kindle books available.

Let me know if you have one or know someone that does, I was thinking about getting one.

Thanks

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kindle serves my daughter well in college unless she has to get a specific translation and goes for the cheap one - like the 1.99 version of Don Quixote. However, I'm still stuck on the Palm with its scrolling and backlighting - and if that ever goes out of the marketplace, I hope there's a good replacement. I'm having to read a real book now because it's not in e-book land and it feels kind of nice to hold a piece of tree again.

• 1 month later...

I think one thing I love about reading is the actual collection of books you get, and the (this sounds wierd but..) smell of the paper, the feeling of turning pages, seeing yourself getting further and further through the story. Its so much better. Its just so simple, it is stupidly pleasing.

Also, I have already dropped a good few books in the bath so a $400 dollar book getting dunked probably wouldn't go down too well at all.

I am a bit wary of e-readers, mainly for the good old reason that they will never be able to reproduce the texture/look/smell of a book, not to mention the dreary comparison between downloading content and traditional bookshop browsing.

However, the usefulness is undeniable, especially for books which might be too big to carry comfortably around (i.e. a great many classics), or which you might not be 100% sure you want as a permanent addition to your bookshelf.

Still: for the above mentioned slight use I'd make of the thing, the price is preposterous. On the other hand, I'll probably invest in the "100 Classic Books Collection" for the DS; I already own a DS, and the tomes therein contained are generally in excess of 500 pages - as opposed to the light portableness of my nifty Nintendo machine.

I got a Sony Reader for Christmas and I think it's one of the best things ever. It fits into my handbag so I can just slap a load of books on it and take them with me. I read a lot of trilogies and things so it's put an end to finishing one and wishing I had the second part with me if I've gone somewhere. Awesome.

The only thing I miss is bath reading but I guess there's always magazines :)

x

Well, I was sooooo keen to have one of these - but I now think I've got it out of my system, mainly because I have such a pile of books at home to get through (which have cost me quite a bit over the years) and like someone else said, there is nothing like picking up a new novel and turning the pages. I would also feel guilty if I was reading e-books when I still had to get through the pile I already have.

So it's on the back burner now (until the next time:smile2:).

I would really love an ebook reader but I'm the same as you, Sue. I'd feel guilty reading books on that when I have so many 'real' books to read. That's the reason that I have hundreds of unread ebooks sitting on my computer - even if they're books I want to read badly, I never do until I end up buying a paperback copy. Actually, I tend to forget they're on my computer sometimes - 'out of sight, out of mind'! :)

i think the way ebook readers have polarised book lovers into the love and hate camps is really similar to the effect of mp3s and digital mixing on the DJ community.

'you can never beat the feel of vinyl', 'records are more tactile', 'i love seeing/flicking through the records on my shelves', 'records sound better'

vs

'i can take 5,000 albums to a gig on mp3', 'you can find music on the net for free'

DJs were generally very wary of digital mixing at first, but a few years into the debate and ipods are ubiquitous and digital mixing (if you count CDs) is now the norm - although vinyl DJs are still around too, of course.

if publishing follows the same pattern, we can expect to see many more ebooks and ebook readers over the next few years. the good news for taditionalist, is that in music, vinyl sales are actually on the increase at the moment, so it looks like it's not an either or choice.

given the major labels' experience of digital music, i would be amazed if publishers aren't *very* wary about digital. the big music guns got the internet wrong for along time (some still are getting it wrong) and the industry's numbers are in freefall, despite there being more music production and consumption than ever.

personally - i've had a play with the sony and would love one for holidays and the commute. 8 paperbacks in the suitcase vs one sony ebook reader is no brainer!

I've decided if I did get one of these it would probably just be for the novelty factor of playing with a new gadget, but I really don't think I could ever read much on one as I just love the look and feel of paper books. However if anyone has one they're fed up with they can pass it to me for review! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps, perhaps mind you, if these insidious gadgets prompt more people to read proper literature, they might serve some greater purpose. I don't really see that happening however.

They might serve a useful purpose for textbooks, periodicals, or the like. I recall spending obscene amounts of money for textbooks in college that quickly became obsolete. Something like this might be useful in the schools or industry, for example.

However...........

The day I find myself reading a novel by Hemmingway or Steinbeck on one of these blasted things is the day I discover that I've died and been condemned to.........well, you know where. :welcome:

dan :smile2:

I have eReader on my iPod Touch, I really do love the fact that I can carry around all my music, videos, games, emails, internet and now books in my pocket.

I find it quite hard to get into the books sometimes though, I am not sure if some of them are shortened or not and some of the ones published by lesser known authors are total dross.

It really takes some getting used to but I find it easier to read in bed lol.

... and some of the ones published by lesser known authors are total dross.

And the dross will proliferate in the e-book world because these gadgets make it simpler and cheaper than ever to distribute dross.

But they're going to be a boon to students ... soon as the technology catches up and textbooks can be displayed with graphics and in colour.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at one in Waterstones and I just do not like the idea of it. For me there is something nice about holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. I also like books that are falling apart (I get a lot from charity shops) and dog eared because it makes me feel like other people have held the book and read the book through.

Edited by MuggleMagic

Many posts seem to indicate that an ebook is preferable for travel.

I was admiring one the other day that belonged to a fellow passenger on a plane..... until he got told to turn it off for take off and landing (no electronics allowed!)

Hehe. I went straight back to my paperback.

I have done quite a bit of backpacking in the past (in Europe and Thailand mostly) and always have about 3 books in my backpack. I have never had trouble finding English language books and also second hand bookstores even in non English speaking countries. It was one of the most fun things about travelling - finding little literary gems along the way.

I work with a constant supply of agency workers (mainly students) from overseas, who come for about 6 months. They usualy bring a few books with them (as well as their english phrase books etc).

Most agree on how more convenient it would be if they had an eReader with 100 or so books stored on it.

I love my Kindle, but have not given up pb books.

Why I like the Kindle is it is so much easier to read it on the subway (underground). When you are standing all you have to do is push a button to turn the page, you don't have to adjust yourself, your bag, your umbrella...etc, to turn the page. I like it for other reasons too.

but on occasion I do read pbs. I have so many of them anyway.