E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned in an earlier post that you can transfer your own ebooks to the Kindle, which is a big plus for me (but the price tag still lets it down). Here's what Amazon has to say about it:

Eliminating the need to print, Kindle makes it easy to take your personal documents with you. Each Kindle has a unique and customizable e-mail address. You can set your unique email address on your Manage Your Kindle page. This allows you and your contacts to e-mail Word documents and pictures wirelessly to your Kindle for only $.10. Kindle supports wireless delivery of unprotected Microsoft Word, HTML, TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files.

PDF conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. You can email your PDFs wirelessly to your Kindle. Due to PDF

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading e-books on a Palm for years and have a Kindle on order though it's not due for a while - Christmas is getting in the way.

I've downloaded books from Project Gutenberg and formated the text using Palm software so in the long run it is cheaper if the author has been dead for a while. I set the Palm to scroll and fall asleep without having to turn out a light and potentially wake up again. It's like a sedative. I think it has to be mysteries, though. I don't have to think and am lulled to sleep - in spite of the fact that someone has died and we're off searching for a killer.

I look forward to hearing your opinion of the Kindle, Pilgrim! I LOVE Project Gutenberg. It's especially useful for me because I like reading classics, so they're nearly always available for free. But despite having downloaded hundreds of things from there, I only tend to read shorter stories in ebook format, and I usually end up buying the classics in book form anyway because they're easier to read (and then I have a pretty physical object to admire :().

Actually, I'm about to start reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens again, which is one I got from Gutenberg.

Kylie, there really is a wonderful feel to a book - but it's that whole putting-out-the-light function that turned me to e-books. I also set it to scroll veeeery slowly at work and pick it up from time to time to read discussion books and so far no one seems the wiser.

I'll let you know about the Kindle. The screen is bigger and hopefully it will be visually pleasing. The Palm has different colors and contrasts which I love because sometimes certain ones are more gentle or vivid depending on my environment (eg., going to sleep vs the doctor's office). If it's a bust and I like the Palm better, my daughter is in college and having Amazon and foreign language newspapers at her fingertips would be good for writing papers.

• 1 month later...

I had a look at the Mobipocket Reader's website. It really looks like a good piece of software. My only gripe is that it doesn't support the Mac platform, which is unfortunately what I use 99% per cent of the time, and it's where I have all of my ebooks kept. Maybe one day they'll add support, but until then I'll just admire from afar :D

Speaking of ebooks, in my rush to get my stuff out of the car and an umbrella over my head this morning, I left my current book on the floor of my car and didn't realise until I'd lugged my heavy bags all the way to the station. I was so annoyed because I didn't have any reading material for the train, but thankfully I was able to find an ebook version when I got to work, so I was able to read at my desk for morning tea and lunch, and I've downloaded it to my iPod so I can read it going home. Phew! Thank goodness for ebooks!

The Kindle is too expensive for me, although I have to say I do like the way it looks. How can you lose--book and cool gadgety-thing in one! Now, when they fix it so it makes coffee too...

I read ebooks, using Mobipocket, on a little handheld PDA (Jornada 545, £35 from Ebay). The thing I love best about it is, as someone else said, the fact that it's backlit so you can read in bed without disturbing your partner. I have shelves full of print books, but for preference, now, I choose to read ebooks in bed.

I also love that, with ebooks, it's instant gratification. I've sometimes felt like a new book to read at 11 o'clock at night, so I've logged onto Fictionwise or the Mobipocket site, or an epublisher, bought a book, paid for it with Paypal, downloaded it--and voila, a new book to read right that minute!

I won't ever stop reading print books, but I really enjoy having the option of either. I bought a Jennifer Crusie ebook recently, just because I wanted to read it right then.

As a writer of short stories, too, I appreciate the market that ebooks give me. It's hard to get short stories published, aside from magazine markets (which only have a certain number of slots each issue). With epublishers, I can have a short story published, given its own cover, and it sells for about a pound. And distribution is no problem. Well, so long as people have net access, that is.

Well, the Kindle has landed and though it doesn't replace the Palm. It's not backlit, as Imogen says. and doesn't appear to scroll. Also, if I were to prop it against something to read in bed, it would be pressing against the page turner and the rapid fire page flipping would be faster than I could read. I like the feel and the back has a non slip texture that I like because it doesn't fall off the lap if you set it down. I'm all out of bookshelf space so digital books are my present and future.

I'll probably trade it to my daughter who has a newer TX Palm - mine's getting old and the duct tape on the cover is embarrassing in public. After she's done with college and doesn't need it for papers, I'll probably take it back when my eyes need the variable font sizes. It loads and unloads documents, .doc, txt, etc., so it's perfect for school. I haven't discovered all its functions so I'll be back when I come up with more. Oh, and I like the screen savers (I guess time out pictures), they're beautiful - like the Barnes & Noble bags - but better.

some books are too expensive to buy. :lol: authors don't want to lost profit, of course)) and don't publish ebooks. but there are projects in internet, where readers collect scan book and ebooks. resources allow to read online.

[Admin Edit: Link removed. it's in Russian (I think), and I therefore cannot be sure of it's content.]

Wow! I am amazed this has opened up a whole new world to me - I am so behind with technology.

I have downloaded the mobipocket software thanks :D

Can anyone help me?

I have been considering buying an ipod for music/ audio books but would now love to have an ebook reader. Is there a machine that has both of these functions. As basic as possible, just music and ebooks not looking for any other functions. Am I pushing my luck asking for low cost too? ;)

Many thanks in anticipation of your help:friends0:

K x

After searching high and low I still havent found anything, thats not to say it doesnt exist - perhaps I it does and has a specific name.

I switched on QVC today and they have an Archos on special today. It appears to be all singing all dancing ~ music, photos, films, recording from tv ~ but can it be used for ebooks?

I looked up and found it can be used to read pdf files - are ebooks usually in this format?

Does anyone own an archos?

Many thanks

Kx

I have mixed feelings about e-books. From the authors point of view they are brilliant, as once they are on the device they cannot be lent to other people and so you sell more books and earn more money! On the other hand, there are issues with copyright to be ironed out, since PDF's are far more secure and are open to piracy and copying, which cannot happen, or is less likely to happen, with printed copies. Less overheads also mean that the author earns a bigger percentage since e-books cut out most of the middle men, who earn far more than we do as the people who write the damned things!

E-books are also more easily searchable than paper copies, which is great for other authors or anyone in fact using them for research purposes, especially for religious or scientific texts.

I can certainly see then the potential for academic and educational works, but am not convinced that e-books will ever replace paper copies for other types of books. I proof read mine at least 5 times via a computer screen before it was published, and therefore would not expect anyone else to sit there reading a book that size by screen !

• 1 month later...