E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

My Kindle broke on Thursday! I'd ordered my coffee in the café, and sat down to read, but about 80% of the screen had frozen either with the screen saver or lines across it (looked a bit like an old etch-a-sketch picture!) and I didn't have another book with me. When I got home, I tried all the troubleshooting tips on amazon, but no luck. Thought I'd have to buy a new one or pay for a repair, but phoned customer support and it's still under warranty, so they sent me a replacement within 24 hours and I just have to return the faulty one within 30 days. Did have to spend a while yesterday downloading all the books again from the archived items - that's the only complaint I had, I wish they had a one click option somewhere to just send all books to a new device. Other than that, delighted with the customer service, and happy now I have my Kindle back up and running.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd bought a Kobo a while back, but then Borders went kaput, and the customer service had gone kaput before that even! It's a shame, but we've basically scrapped that one. However, we then decided to go with two Kindles. Marvelous! Bought the ones with the adverts, which don't intrude a bit, contrary to my fears.

The main fuss I have is finding a certain item once past that page. In my books, I can visualize where a certain name, or phrase is on the page, and can flip accordingly. Not so easy to find an ambiguous thought on the Kindle. But that is something that can certainly be lived with. Over all, I love having the Kindle, and read on it, not all the time, but in long spurts. Twice now, I've downloaded huge tomes, 1Q84 and Reamde, that I already have the hard copy of, but don't feel like schlepping around to Starbucks, etc. It's fairly easy to find the corresponding place in book and Kindle.

So, I'm a happy camper! :readingtwo:

Edited by pontalba

Gaaagh! I recently bought The Winter King, the first of Bernard Cornwell's King Arthur novels, for Kindle for £1.99. I just went to look for the sequels and all three Kindle editions of his Arthur books have disappeared :(

I suspect there must be problems with them, which is why TWK was going cheap and why they've now been withdrawn - which makes me very wary that the first of his Alfred the Great novels, The Last Kingdom, is now £1.99 as well! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I got a Kindle for Xmas - yay!

Now, how do I turn it off? I can;t find anything anywhere that tells me how to do that...

ETA Obviously it's too late at night for me because I instantly found how to do it once I'd stopped typing - LOL!

Wooo! I'm looking at the 12 Days of Kindle at the moment.

So far I have bought for 99p:

The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness (been wanting to read this for ages. Whoever has it at our local library hasn't returned it, so this is great!)

Introducing Neuro-Linguistic Programming - Neil Shah

Do Polar Bears Get Lonely? : And 101 Other Intriguing Science Questions - New Scientist

And I'm still looking through them all, so there will probably be a few more purchases. :giggle:

I've got a Kindle too :) :) :)

there are so many free books that I want to download, so I'm going to have a little play tonight. I've also just discovered the 12 days of Kindle and there are a lot of books that I want too, think I'm going to have a few books to download!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting until the technology catches up. Right now, all the ebook readers are pretty inconvenient and expensive. I want something that will make the 100 or so ebooks I own easier to read, not harder.

There's several things I love about ebooks.

1. I don't have room for every book I want to read. Ebooks take space on my computer, but that's it.

2. In a world that clamors for environmental change, ebooks can HELP in that direction. I do NOT believe that ebooks will ever replace print books.

3. The price. Most ebooks put out by epublishers are much cheaper than your standard paperbacks. I can buy a book by a new author and not be out much if it's awful.

Two things I dislike about ebooks.

1. There are too many darn formats. And every technology that's come out will read "this format" but not "that one". It's frustrating.

2. The readers that are out currently are either VERY ugly/bulky/expensive OR they double as something else. It's like trying to find a cell phone that's JUST A PHONE. Does that make sense? I just want an ebook reader. I don't want a calendar/ organizer/phone. I want an ebook reader so I can take the ebook I want to read to bed with me.

3. The ebooks came out and no one really knows what they are.

As one who is published in electronic publishing I see the advantages and disadvantages. I am NOT one who sees ebooks as replacing print books.

It would be nice to go on vacation and take twelve books along.....on something as small as a palm pilot. Very cool.

I agree with all the arguments you stated here. E-book will never replace the emotional reactions I get from holding a book paper pages. I understand about the advantages, but still....

• 2 weeks later...

Having had a quick look in a phone shop, The kindle touch would be the sort of size I'd be happy to carry round but the fire and samsung 2 , would probably have more functiinality. My laptops probably quite old now too. So which do you buy t4200 , 3gb ram, 320gb hd.

Hi Dex

Hope you don't mind me crashing in on your discussion,but my Hubster is in the electronics area of employment,so he is knowledgeable about anything like that.

He said if you are looking for an eReader that performs more than just "readability" ,he would go with either a Samsung or Nexus 7 inch tablet. Then put the Kindle reading App on it,and you are set --those devices do multiple things,but you will also have the ability to buy and read all the Kindle books you desire . You can also load all other forms of ebooks on it too, such as epub,etc.

Any other questions, I'll shoot them to the Hubster -- he loves "gadgets " .

I need some help please guys!!!

I don't know if to ask for a kindle for Xmas :grinhat: and if I do I don't know which 1 to ask for :blush2:

I like the look of the new kindle fire but read that the battery life is really bad (no good for reading on the beach all day on holiday - main time to take a kindle too because of luggage allowance) I also read that reading in sunlight can cause problems (don't believe the older versions had this problem).

People have told me that instead of going for the kindle fire get an ipad, samsung etc. but I don't understand how these works. Don't you buy the books from their bookstore and if so don't they have a very limited range and aren't they more expensive than Amazon??

I was only looking at using it for reading books but I wasn't sure if I'd get a lot of use out of it as I am a fan of paperback and do go the library quite often (quite tight with book prices as I read a lot) which is why the kindle fire seemed like the ideal choice as I can use it to surf the web and for apps etc. so at least I know it would get used.

I really am in a pickle ..... what to do!?!? :hide::doh:

Star

You can download a kindle app onto devises other than a kindle - if you look on amazon I am sure they will say there which devises you can use so perhaps you could get something that you would be able to get use out of other than using it as an e-reader (if you don't already have something that is). I personally wouldn't recommend anything with a small screen. I have an kindle with keyboard and if I could change just one thing I think it would have to be a bigger screen.

Others can probably help more than I, but here are a few things you might like to note.

If you're planning on reading outdoors a lot, the iPad might not be the best idea. It is backlit so is not particularly easy to view in daylight, whereas the Kindle uses the special e-ink technology, so the user can read it easily in the daylight. I don't know much about the Kindle Fire but I don't think it uses e-ink. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. Although I'm guessing that if the battery life is really bad, it must be because it is backlit.

Buying books from iTunes would be more expensive, but you can get a Kindle app for the iPad. I think you can buy Kindle books and transfer them to your iPad (I don't think Apple allows users to buy the competition's books directly on their device). Anyway, you could look into that further.

There are 2 types of display that you mention here. Firstly there is what I will call a 'tablet' display. This is an illuminated screen much the same as you would find on a smartphone, this is what makes the battery life shorter and suffer from glare in the sun. This is the type of display on the Kindle Fire, Ipad and other tablets. The other display available, which is on the standard kindle, kobo etc is an 'e-ink' display.

E-ink displays only use battery power when changing the screen display, ie when turning the page. Aside from this, the battery drain is very very low. I have one of the original Kindles and the battery last for a month or two easily.

With regards to you tablet options, the range is vast and so is the price. For example a standard Kindle (E-ink) is £70 at the moment where as an iPad starts at about £400. The options for purchasing books on an Ipad for example are varied. You can use iBooks which is apple's online ebook store or you can download the Kindle app and use that to read and buy books from the Amazon Kindle store. On tablets which run the android operating system you can also download and use a Kindle application.

As you already mention a basic Kindle will give you options to shop and read books and not much else. A tablet will give you access to watch tv or movies, surf the web, play games etc. I have only picked up and played with a Kindle Fire for about 10 minutes and it looked and worked well. I have an Ipad which I use most days, however I don't read on it. For reading I mainly still read paperbacks, using my kindle for newer releases which can be found cheap on the kindle store.

As to what you should do, the choice is yours but I hope the above is of some help.

Edited by Brian.