E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seriously thinking about getting a Kindle, the latest one is only £109. The space saved at home by throwing out 100+ physical books would be well worth it. This is my own personal collection of books, I would still like my kids to grow up with physical books all around them.

and, as for 3G - the other method of downloading - don't think we have that either.

You don't need it Ophelia. Basically, if your Kindle can't find a wifi network to log on to, it automatically goes over to the 3G method. In other words, it acts like a mobile phone, and downloads the book over the mobile phone network. You don't have to pay anything more for this - it's provided as part of the package. I don't have a 3G phone either, but have several times downloaded books using this method, including in the middle of Europe (Amazon claim coverage in around 100 countries). It's all done automatically once you have selected the book you want.

Can I ask...the Kindle which has the Wifi feature, does that mean that you can access the internet from it? Or is it limited. I'm so confused. I think I want one for xmas but I wish I could see it first so I know whether it's worth the money for me or not.

Yes, you can get the internet, but it says that it's browser is an 'experimental feature' - it is usable, but not that easy.

thanks Michelle. So you can go on any website or is it limited to just amazon to buy the books. Thanks for help, I've read the amazon website and reviews but I'm not very technological and it all goes over my head :lol:

Right, I've been looking at the Kindle for a very long time now, and I just can't make my mind up. I'll always prefer turning pages over physically in a real book, but I have to admit the e-reader seems to have its benefits. The price for the Kindle including 3G - which would be more preferable for me - is now only £149; a price that has declined a lot since its release. My worry was that although the battery life seems fantastic, the display astonishing, what are the prices for the ebooks themselves, like? A quick scan shows me I'm looking at books like The Lost Symbol for a mere £2.76. I would never consider paying the same price for an e-book as I would a real book, but the Amazon Kindle seems to offer brilliant prices. The more I look the more I'm tempted to get hold of one of these, yet I'm still reserved; I honestly don't know if I'll like it. Hmm, who has one and here, and what do you think of them? :grinhat:

Edited by Ben

You don't need it Ophelia. Basically, if your Kindle can't find a wifi network to log on to, it automatically goes over to the 3G method. In other words, it acts like a mobile phone, and downloads the book over the mobile phone network. You don't have to pay anything more for this - it's provided as part of the package. I don't have a 3G phone either, but have several times downloaded books using this method, including in the middle of Europe (Amazon claim coverage in around 100 countries). It's all done automatically once you have selected the book you want.

Thank you, willoyd! x

I have one on order for My dad as a combo Birthday Christmas present it will hopefully arrive next week, I didn't get him the more expensive WiFi one as he has had enough trouble with his Ipod and is a bit of a techno phobe hopefully this will be simple and come with instructions he has the unmanly habit of reading these thouroughly :D

but the Amazon Kindle seems to offer brilliant prices.

Depends on the books you are interested in. Some are quite pricey still (eg those published by MacMillan, Penguin and Hachette groups, whose prices have been fixed by the publishers - how legal that is is yet to be resolved for certain). Others are very cheap. You can, of course, download free books from various sites like Project Gutenberg, and there are some like that on the Amazon site. I've got around 60 books on my Kindle now (including the complete Wilkie Collins and Thomas Hardy novels), and have spent around £25 for all of them combined, which includes a couple of fuller price books.

Hmm, who has one and here, and what do you think of them?

My views are in post 372 - but basically I'm a hard copy lover who enjoys the Kindle a lot - the two formats work comfortably side by side.

Edited by willoyd

I really want a kindle, I've been doing my research and theyre better than Ipads because they don't get a glare if your a fan of reading on the beach :D when I went on holiday last year books took up most of my hand luggage, I don't want one for christmas I'm going to wait until my birthday to ask for one, but I will never fully give up my actual books. :blush:

I ordered mine last night my little xmas pressie from the wife! I to have read lots and lots of reviews and what I noticed is that the kindle is the in thing espec for new and aspiring authors I am interested in the books of one particular author Greg Gifune and lots of his books are priced keenly for the Kindle...I went for the wi fi version as it will slot nicely into my home network....I can't wait to download some great books in a manner of mins on xmas day :D

I think I would love to have an iPad for an e-reader. I know they don't use the e-ink technology, but I never read outside so that won't be a problem (in fact I rarely if ever see people reading outside and yet that is always touted as a major point against the iPad!) Apparently it helps if you turn the brightness all the way down anyway. Mmm, I might invest in one before I go on holidays next year. :)

A friend of mine who enjoys reading is dead-set against e-readers. She was telling me the other day that she had approached two people who had e-readers and suggested they weren't a great idea because you couldn't share your books with people or give them to people in third world countries. :huh: She's a lovely person and I understand what she's trying to say, but honestly, how many people ever send their books to third world countries? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rather excited about getting my Kindle for Christmas this year! :D

Having already known I'll be getting one, I've downloaded Kindle for PC and already purchased numerous books and compiling a collection ready to start the year as I mean to go on...

I'm rather excited about getting my Kindle for Christmas this year! :D

Having already known I'll be getting one, I've downloaded Kindle for PC and already purchased numerous books and compiling a collection ready to start the year as I mean to go on...

I am sure you will really enjoy your Kindle, I have had mine a few months and would n't be without it now. Its all positive. I also use it to listen to audio books on. Good for listenong to in bed. Very easy to set it up for downloading audio books via your computer. then onto the Kindle, Good piece of kit and well worth the money :D

• 3 weeks later...

Got one for Christmas and am absolutely delighted with it. I had a previous generation Sony eReader which I was very disillusioned with and had pretty much given up on (poor screen quality, clunky to use, extortionate book prices etc) and think the Kindle blows it away. I've read four books on it so far and am reaching the point where I don't want to put it down to read all those real books that are still sitting, unread, on the shelf :lol:

The only problem I've had so far was a bit of panic on Christmas morning when I unwrapped it and found there was no 3G. I immediately jumped to the conclusion that they'd sent me the wifi-only version in error, only to find out later that Whispernet had been down all morning :doh:

And it's far too easy to go on the Amazon store and start buying loads of books :lol:

I am so glad I bought one for my dad for Christmas he is loving it and I get daily updates on what he is reading and downloading. I am glad I didn't bother with the 3G version for him as he can't get a singnal in his village anyway and is a slow reader, so he can wifi in his own home. My mum said she woke up yesterday to find him sat up in bed in the dark looking through all his electronic gadgets which are lined up on his bedside table. :giggle2:

My mum said she woke up yesterday to find him sat up in bed in the dark looking through all his electronic gadgets which are lined up on his bedside table. :giggle2:

:lol:

I never do that sort of thing. Not me. Never. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my kindle, wifi only version since Christmas and I think it is fantastic. The screen is incredible and just like real paper, but with the benefits of a fraction of the weight and you can turn pages one handed.

Add on to this the fact that the Kindle store is excellent and so easy to use and you have an amazing product. I find the Kindle store much cheaper than any other online e-book store and very competitive with print with most new titles significantly cheaper.

Also in the US they have just started to allow book lending, a process where you can lend your e-book digitally to another kindle owner for 2 weeks. They have the two weeks to read it then it automatically deletes. You can't read it during that 2 weeks but I think this is an excellent idea and one I am sure they will bring to UK soon.

I never really expected to like me Kindle as much as I do. I still read paperbacks, my ratio in January so far has been 4 e-books to 2 paperbacks. I just love the flexibility of taking my whole library on trips with me. The only negative is the ease to buy from the kindle store. I can see a review on here of a book that interests me and 1 minute later can have it downloaded.

I would highly recommend a Kindle to anyone who was interested in getting one.

I saw this thread on Amazon which is a little worrying - several people are reporting that the casing of their Kindles has cracked at the bottom corner(s) of the screen:

Amazon thread

Have any Kindle owners here encountered this?

No, hasn't affected mine so far. I've had mine since Christmas (and has been used most days!), but I didn't take it out of the house until I had bought a case, but more for worrying that I might scratch the screen than break the device itself. I have to admit, I'm pretty careful with it, as it always feels a bit fragile compared to other devices I own, but maybe I've just been lucky so far. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on mine now though, so thanks for pointing it out.

I understand from the discussions on Amazon forums that this appears to be caused by the non-lighted cases. Apparently they clip onto the kindle and are causing the cracking. Amazon customer services are replacing them without any problems. Also these cases seem to be causing battery problems as well, and some other problems.

I do have mine in a cover but purchased it from ebay. They fit a diiferent way and do not have the clips. Cheaper as well but just as good.

Unless you have the official Amazon non lighted case I would n't worry too much, but if you experience any sort of problems ( cover or not) contact customer services straight away.

Hope this helps.