Thanksgiving Dinner

muggle not

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor you, Princess Orchid! you shouldn't give up on your own traditions. I got the annual "are you planning on coming home for Thanksgiving?" -call from DD but I pleaded school work and stayed in Europe. I'll probably go over to grandmom's for dinner, she still does Thanksgiving.

Oh I WISH Maureen. It's THIS THURSDAY! *casts a despairing glance around her trashed house* I'm not ready.

But we do a big dinner with a dozen people here for dinner. (maybe more this year).

We have Turkey, baked with butter and garlic (I don't stuff my turkey though. I make my stuffing separate)

Homemade stuffing

Green Bean Casserole

Homemade dinner rolls

Garlic Mashed potatoes

This year, my mother in law is making Wasabi Cole Slaw (I can't wait to try it)

Blackberry pie

Probably pumpkin pie but possibly apple. (Tradition might balk at no pumpkin OR mincemeat pie)

And we celebrate for at least three days. Everyone comes over early and we eat snack food. Then we put in "A Christmas Story" and watch that.

It's a big day at our house.

And I'm SOOOOO not ready.

I'm having two Thanksgiving dinners this year, at my boyfriend's mom's house on Thursday, and at my parents' house on Saturday. This is what we have in my family:

Roasted turkey (cooked by the host, usually my aunt)

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potatoes (I prepare these with my dad...so yummy! We cut them into wedges and cook them with a sauce made with honey, orange juice, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon)

Canned cranberry sauce

Rice, cheese, and broccoli casserole (yuk)

Fruit salad

2 kinds of stuffing (one is my grandmother's recipe, and I think the other is from my dad's family, using Italian sausage)

Apple pie (made by my mom)

Pumpkin pie

I can't wait!!! It's one of my favorite holidays of the year!:D

I can't wait!!! It's one of my favorite holidays of the year!:D

Any holiday that includes loads of good food is fine by me! *grin*

I just confirmed that I'm going to Old Dragon's on Thursday. We're having a Thanksgiving weekend, as I'm not coming home before Saturday.

I'd have to look up the details, but like most holidays, it was set by Washington D.C. as the "Fourth Thursday of every November".

At least I think that's it.

*off to do more research on my own American Holiday that I SHOULD know about."

I found This Link

It's pretty interesting actually. Apparently, Thursday was pretty arbitrary.

President Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a Federal holiday as a "prayerful day of Thanksgiving" on the last Thursday in November. Since then every U.S. President has always made an official Thanksgiving Proclamation on behalf of the nation. President Franklin D. Roosevelt set the date for Thanksgiving to the fourth Thursday of November in 1939 (approved by Congress in 1941).

Our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow:

Roasted turkey

Spiral sliced ham

peas and mushrooms

mashed potatoes and gravy

Sweet potato (Not from a can)with pineapple and marshallow on top icon_smile.gif

Cornbread stuffing

Corn Pudding ( my famous dish - requested by all the grandchildren)

Cranberry sauce with pineapple and pecans

Dinner Rolls by LeBrea

Apple pie

Pumpkin pie

Wine

Sparkling grape juice for the kids

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends. I hope you have had a great holiday! The food sounds so delicious :welcome:. If I ever get to go to the US, I think I'll time it for Thanksgiving/Christmas. It sounds wonderful :006:

Newbie US here. Just wanted to add that Thanksgiving is not only about sharing great food with family, but also a time for everyone to reflect and think about what they are thankful for in their lives.

There is usually no consumer pressure for this holiday. They wait until the day after, called "Black Friday" (shops can finally get out of the red), and have huge sales (some starting at 4am) to gear shoppers up for Xmas holiday!!

...doesn't leave too much time for reflection, huh?

Happy Belated Thanksgiving all those 'across the pond' :welcome:

I'm jealous! I love big family holidays and we only really have Christmas - I want more! Especially one that isn't about presents or cards or anything commercial; it's sounds so nice to have a day to share with loved ones and to give thanks. I might celebrate my own thanksgiving next year!

They wait until the day after, called "Black Friday" (shops can finally get out of the red), and have huge sales (some starting at 4am) to gear shoppers up for Xmas holiday!!

...doesn't leave too much time for reflection, huh?

I watched the American News and they showed "Black Friday" . . . WOW CRAZY! :006:

The deals were so good and the people were going nuts :welcome:

• 11 months later...

I wanted to bump up this thread so our new members can share their favorite Thanksgiving meals and recipes!

This year, I'm going to my parents house (yay!) for our traditional turkey dinner. We'll have a huge roasted turkey, all kinds of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, two kinds of stuffing, and apple and pumpkin pies. All the goodies! The best part is going home with all those leftovers. :D

I really miss having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner! Although, ours is in October. This year I was working Thanksgiving day weekend, so while I did cook a turkey breast with lots of veg for dinner on the friday, that was about the extent of it.

I'm going to the Estate for Thanksgiving, as DD and Old Dragon ganged up on me and demanded I fly over with Old Dragon. Apparently I can spare the few days. Luckily I have, which is new, been spared the responsibilities of putting things together, as DD's also on my case over graduating. (I'm probably going to get to use that for Christmas parties too. Yay! No more annoying and frustrating Christmas party phone conferences with Marty!!)

But yeah, it'll be the traditional family Thanksgiving again. Maybe I should see if BF could fly over, just to irk DD... and of course for my personal enjoyment. *dirty grin*

Edited by ii