Your Book Activity - June 2019

Onion Budgie

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

I had to make a quick decision on what to read next as I left the house this morning and picked up Milkman by Anna Burns.

I just couldn't do it. I managed about 70 pages before closing it and sticking it back in my bag. The style is just too tedious for me to get on with and nothing seems to be happening. It also doesn't help that Anna Burns chooses not no name any characters or places. I'm sure some people will love it but it's not for me and life is too short to struggle through books I'm not enjoying. 

The only problem with putting it aside is that I don't have another book with me to read at the moment.

I have just finished Landline by Rainbow Rowell. It was dull, the characters irritating and the plotline flat. The main character was a writer for a comedy show but there was only one time I felt any kind of emotion other than indifference, and that involved the MC mum's pet pugs. I was able to forget that she (mc)and her husband where trying to work on their marriage. For me which was pointless as I didn't see anything to prove their love for one another other than them saying it. 

This apparently won the GoodReads choice awards in 2014.

Before I read One Of Us Is Lying a ya mystery/thriller. I accidentally spoiled myself the ending. I did find the beginning to drag but as the story unfolded it got interesting. My favourite character was probably Addy. A solid 4 star and highly recommended. 

Oh my, I can't believe how long it's been since I logged in here. :blush:

I somehow got it into my head that I will wait until I'm caught up on my reviews before posting, but that just isn't going to happen. :lol: I've been reading loads, and will update my log shortly, but I just haven't had the 'oomph' to pull together any reviews.

This morning I finished Hired: Six Months Undercover in Low-Wage Britain by James Bloodworth. Very eye-opening and makes me somewhat ashamed for complaining about my job. I've now started The Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson which is about Charles Darwin's famous voyage on The Beagle under Captain FitzRoy.  On the audiobooks front, I'm listening to Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel, which I have also read a couple of years ago.

I hope everyone is having a great reading year so far. :)

On 6/21/2019 at 1:47 PM, Lau_Lou said:

I have just finished Landline by Rainbow Rowell. It was dull, the characters irritating and the plotline flat. The main character was a writer for a comedy show but there was only one time I felt any kind of emotion other than indifference, and that involved the MC mum's pet pugs. I was able to forget that she (mc)and her husband where trying to work on their marriage. For me which was pointless as I didn't see anything to prove their love for one another other than them saying it. 

This apparently won the GoodReads choice awards in 2014.

I'm sorry this one was a disappointment! It's actually the only Rainbow Rowell book I haven't read yet (out of the books that she currently has out). That said, I read most of her work in earlier years and have grown since then as a reader. Shame the book wasn't enjoyable for you.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:47 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Before I read One Of Us Is Lying a ya mystery/thriller. I accidentally spoiled myself the ending. I did find the beginning to drag but as the story unfolded it got interesting. My favourite character was probably Addy. A solid 4 star and highly recommended. 

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! It's on my TBR.

16 hours ago, woolf woolf said:

I restarted The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien, and this time I intend to finish.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

I enjoyed The Hobbit quite a bit when I read it, but I'm not sure if I'll ever re-read it. I hope you can get through it this time :).

I'm currently reading The Kicking the Bucket List by Cathy Hopkins. I'm reading it together with a friend from YouTube, we read about 50ish pages a day (pre-scheduled). It's a nice chick-lit/rom-com book, and I'm liking it a lot so far.

I finished my re-read of The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton (Night's Dawn, #3) two days ago. I really enjoyed re-reading this series.

I'm about halfway through The Templars by Dan Jones. It's a non-fiction book all about the real story of the Templars, how they came to be and how they came to an end. It's packed with research and is very readable. 

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz by L Frank Baum. This is a rare occasion where the film is better than the book. I think most of us have seen it a least once. The story follows Dorothy as she finds herself in Oz and wants to return home. She meets three strangers who become her friends who also want something from 'The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz.'         Considering this is a children's story I found it rather dark. 

Spoiler

A lot of deaths; usually execution style. 

The ending in the film 

Spoiler

We realise it is a dream she (Dorothy) has. However it is not portrayed that way in the book. 

Sometimes people take a classic book and turn them into films. Which are more fun and entertaining. This is one of those times. Two stars. Film based upon the book five stars. 

13 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

Finished Dead Water another in the Shetland series by Anne Cleeves.  Now reading the second Kurt Wallendar, Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell.  Really enjoying this series.

I finished the Wallander series last year and I absolutely loved it so I hope you like Dogs of Riga.

I finished the audiobook of Station Eleven. Loved it! Now I'm listening to Moby Dick (second attempt....my mind kept wandering the first time around). 

I went into town yesterday and popped into our little local bookstore. Picked up a signed copy of Underland by Robert McFarlane and The Dog's Mind by Bruce Fogle. 

Hey Bobbly! Good to 'see' you. :smile: I LOVED Station Eleven when I read it. 

Having recently read the 'quel' (as the author Philip Pullman is calling it) La Belle Sauvage, I am diving into the His Dark Materials trilogy, and loving every moment! 

• Athena unpinned this topic