• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     

Every single person differs in their relationship with books, personally, I'm an on and off kind of person. Either I read 12 books in a month ( a huge amount for me) or 2 books in a whole year. Obviously my habits depend on a huge amount of variables such as the stress I'm under, the pressure from my school and especially my spike in interest that comes from no where as I turn into a sort of mad man who's thirsty for knowledge and has no regard to sleep or any other general need of a human.

But I'm more curious about the reading habits of other people as I've never discussed this, which fuels my curiosity in a very weird way.

I mostly depend on sharp spikes in interests, which in my opinion is the worst way to read a book, I believe similar people exist and I'd like to also know their opinion on how they, in a way cope with this feeling and keep themselves motivated to complete a book.

I was reading a magazine and there is a couple of pages all about books. New releases etc. And they always interview someone asking about their favourite books. Someone said (famous but cant remember) that she was a binge reader. Now I think that's how I would describe myself. I read and I read and I read. This can last months then I'll get to a point where I cant/dont want to read and that can last weeks or months. But I would think a lot of readers are like this because we have all experienced reading slumps. But we all deal with that in a different way. I personally let it come back naturally because when I'm in that mind set the thought of reading puts me right off. 

I believe no matter what kind of reader you are, as long as you find enjoyment in it then that is all that really matters. 

I also dont think it's weird to be curious of this. I find it rather interesting too. 

I don't think it's weird either, reading habits are interesting! 

Personally I always feel like I need to have a book I'm currently reading. Even if I'm not particularly in the mood to read, and I'm only going to read a couple of pages at a time, I like to always have something. Then sometimes I feel really motivated to read, I'll just grab any spare moment in the day to read even one more page, and sometimes I'll read very slowly, maybe leaving a day or two in between picking that book up.

23 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I believe no matter what kind of reader you are, as long as you find enjoyment in it then that is all that really matters. 

I absolutely agree. There isn't a wrong way to read. As long as you're enjoying it, you're doing it right!

I dont think having spikes in reading intensity or enthusiasm is unusual. 

I often binge read about a certain subject or author.  And I quite often don't finish a book if I'm really not enjoying it. Sometimes, particularly if it's non-fiction, I'll skim read to the bits that interest me. I'm becoming lazier and far less self-disciplined the older I get and mostly read books I enjoy now rather than books I think I should read.

Like Hayley, I always like to have something on the go to read, even if I'm only progressing a few pages at a time.