Time Travel Book Recommendations

Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series of books, starting with 'Just One Damned Thing After Another'.

I have found that readers either love or hate the series. I'm a fan. Action packed, great characters, humourous and filled to the brim with history. 

22 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

The Man From Primrose Lane by James Renner is fantastically good.  The time travel element doesn't kick in straightaway, but once it does...

That's just flown onto my wishlist! It looks good. :smile:

On 5/16/2019 at 8:26 AM, Chrissy said:

Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series of books, starting with 'Just One Damned Thing After Another'.

I have found that readers either love or hate the series. I'm a fan. Action packed, great characters, humourous and filled to the brim with history. 

Thanks for the recommendation, i've just ordered the first book

On 5/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, Onion Budgie said:

The Man From Primrose Lane by James Renner is fantastically good.  The time travel element doesn't kick in straightaway, but once it does...

Thanks, im going to my local library to rent it out

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 1:23 AM, Raven said:

Bring the Jubilee, by Ward Moore is an interesting one. 

The time travel element isn't obvious at the start, it's more of an alternate history, but it is a good story. 

This was recently recommended to me on here, and now you have mentioned it Raven. I will have to shove the title closer to my 'Don't just wish it - Buy it!' list. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2019 at 8:26 AM, Chrissy said:

I'm reading this now, and am in a love / hate relationship with it myself! 

The idea is a good one, but I'm struggling with the writing.  I'm about 15% of the way through, according to my Kindle, and I've lost count of the number of times I've winced!

My sister loves them, btw. 

Edited by Raven

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, vodkafan said:

One of the best time travel books ever written is

Up The Line by Robert Silverberg.

My wishlist never gets smaller - I wonder why! Thanks for the recommendation VF. :)

On 05/10/2019 at 7:44 PM, Raven said:

I'm reading this now, and am in a love / hate relationship with it myself! 

The idea is a good one, but I'm struggling with the writing.  I'm about 15% of the way through, according to my Kindle, and I've lost count of the number of times I've winced!

My sister loves them, btw. 

Wincing will give you wrinkles ! :D

• 3 weeks later...

How about the following?  I've enjoyed them all at different levels.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Black Out/All Clear by Connie Willis

11.22.63 by Stephen King

The Many Colored Land by Julian May (and subsequent books)

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

King of Shadows by Susan Cooper

Blitzed by Robert Swindells

The Connie Willis books are all part of a series based on a single concept (historians travelling back in time from Oxford University), although TSNOTD is very different in concept to the others, being far more light-hearted. Black OUt/All Clear are two separate books, but a continuous novel  They are all good stories, although some of the research can be a bit wobbly (BO/CA is set in WW2, but includes occasional faux pas, like 20 pieces and the Victoria Line!). Doomsday is set during the Black Death, and TSNOTD in Victorian times (intersecting with Three Men in a Boat!).

Time travel features regularly in sci-fi.  I suppose, to a large extent, any time travel book IS sci-fi, but these don't have that feel; other than.....

The Julian May is the more fantasy/sci-fi than the others

The last three are usually regarded as children's books, but they appeal to adults too.

Edited by willoyd

• 6 months later...

Kage Baker has a fantastic series in which "The Company" creates cyborgs who travel back in time to retrieve things- starting with In the Garden of Iden.  The primary character, Mendoza, was a little girl the Company saved from the Inquisition.

James David has a series about dinosaurs and time travel, starting with Footprints of Thunder.

Ben Elton- Time and TIme Again

Michael Swanwick- Bones of the Earth

Joe Haldeman- The Accidental TIme Machine

LIz Jensen- My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time

I have more recommendations if you are interested, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest harsht07

Late to the party, but I highly recommend The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It is basically about time travel, after a fashion. Not the zipping forwards and backwards thru time type of travel, but the massive changes in society after returning from a few hundred years worth of interstellar travel.

I have that on my TBR (to be read)! I've read 4 other books by Joe Haldeman and liked them. The Accidental Time Machine would fit the theme of time travel, I've read that one and the 3 books in his Marsbound trilogy.