• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Sign in to follow this  
geordie9

Time Travel Book Recommendations

I'm looking for some adult books about time travel. I've read Outlander series, Replay, Doomsday Book, etc so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series of books, starting with 'Just One Damned Thing After Another'.

I have found that readers either love or hate the series. I'm a fan. Action packed, great characters, humourous and filled to the brim with history. 

The Man From Primrose Lane by James Renner is fantastically good.  The time travel element doesn't kick in straightaway, but once it does...

22 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

The Man From Primrose Lane by James Renner is fantastically good.  The time travel element doesn't kick in straightaway, but once it does...

That's just flown onto my wishlist! It looks good. :smile:

On 5/16/2019 at 8:26 AM, Chrissy said:

Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series of books, starting with 'Just One Damned Thing After Another'.

I have found that readers either love or hate the series. I'm a fan. Action packed, great characters, humourous and filled to the brim with history. 

Thanks for the recommendation, i've just ordered the first book

On 5/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, Onion Budgie said:

Thanks, im going to my local library to rent it out

Bring the Jubilee, by Ward Moore is an interesting one. 

The time travel element isn't obvious at the start, it's more of an alternate history, but it is a good story. 

On 23/08/2019 at 1:23 AM, Raven said:

Bring the Jubilee, by Ward Moore is an interesting one. 

The time travel element isn't obvious at the start, it's more of an alternate history, but it is a good story. 

This was recently recommended to me on here, and now you have mentioned it Raven. I will have to shove the title closer to my 'Don't just wish it - Buy it!' list. :D

One of the best time travel books ever written is

Up The Line by Robert Silverberg.

On 16/05/2019 at 8:26 AM, Chrissy said:

I'm reading this now, and am in a love / hate relationship with it myself! 

The idea is a good one, but I'm struggling with the writing.  I'm about 15% of the way through, according to my Kindle, and I've lost count of the number of times I've winced!

My sister loves them, btw. 

Edited by Raven

On 05/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, vodkafan said:

One of the best time travel books ever written is

Up The Line by Robert Silverberg.

My wishlist never gets smaller - I wonder why! Thanks for the recommendation VF. :)

On 05/10/2019 at 7:44 PM, Raven said:

I'm reading this now, and am in a love / hate relationship with it myself! 

The idea is a good one, but I'm struggling with the writing.  I'm about 15% of the way through, according to my Kindle, and I've lost count of the number of times I've winced!

My sister loves them, btw. 

Wincing will give you wrinkles ! :D

5 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Wincing will give you wrinkles ! :D

That is mildly better than hurling my Kindle across the room...

How about the following?  I've enjoyed them all at different levels.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Black Out/All Clear by Connie Willis

11.22.63 by Stephen King

The Many Colored Land by Julian May (and subsequent books)

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

King of Shadows by Susan Cooper

Blitzed by Robert Swindells

The Connie Willis books are all part of a series based on a single concept (historians travelling back in time from Oxford University), although TSNOTD is very different in concept to the others, being far more light-hearted. Black OUt/All Clear are two separate books, but a continuous novel  They are all good stories, although some of the research can be a bit wobbly (BO/CA is set in WW2, but includes occasional faux pas, like 20 pieces and the Victoria Line!). Doomsday is set during the Black Death, and TSNOTD in Victorian times (intersecting with Three Men in a Boat!).

Time travel features regularly in sci-fi.  I suppose, to a large extent, any time travel book IS sci-fi, but these don't have that feel; other than.....

The Julian May is the more fantasy/sci-fi than the others

The last three are usually regarded as children's books, but they appeal to adults too.

Edited by willoyd