Your Book Activity - May 2019

Onion Budgie

3 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Hi.

I've read Dom Casmurro, by Machado  de Assis..

Really? So nice to know that brazilian literature is getting more space, we have so many amazing writers in here! This is a really famous book and Machado de Assis' books are classics in here. ^_^

8 hours ago, Luanna said:

Really? So nice to know that brazilian literature is getting more space, we have so many amazing writers in here! This is a really famous book and Machado de Assis' books are classics in here. ^_^

My wife is from Rio and recommended him to me.

13 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

My wife is from Rio and recommended him to me.

That's so nice! Brazil really have some amazing books and songs, but most part of people are not interested

in our culture, it's hard find someone that even read something from here, even Brazilian people. :huh:

Finished Origins (interesting, 4-star, read), and picked up Maigret Gets Angry, my next in the Penguin Simenon sequence.  Finished by the same evening!  A better than average Maigret - 5 stars.

Just galloped through debut author Annie Green's A Game of Ruff and Honours, a time-travelling adventure, set at the time of the Gunpowder Plot, and intended as the first in a series.  Good fun and seems historically pretty accurate (as far as any time-travelling fantasy can be!), with the minor caveat that it could have done with tighter proofreading. 4 stars.

• Athena unpinned this topic
On 31/05/2019 at 3:23 PM, Madeleine said:

This sounds like fun, is it a YA book?  Sounds a little bit like Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's, a series which is very popular on this forum.

It certainly could be YA, but I don't think is promoted as such (and I'm never quite certain what classifies something as YA anyway - it's either a good book or it isn't by the time you get to that age).  In the review on my book blog thread I suggested that Jodi Taylor fans might enjoy this, although it's not quite as frenetic as her books (not necessarily a bad thing!).