Hello!

Mostonian

I’m Kevin and I love reading and always have a book on the go, and whilst I always try to finish a book I start, there have been a number of “casualties” I’ve had to give up on…

I don’t like classics or high-brow books and despite trying to read a good number I get bored and have decided life’s too short. Arthur Conan Doyle is the exception to the rule. I’m from Manchester, England and have a bit of a weakness for books set in my home city. Any Manchester recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks for the welcomes! Other books I like, well I've got rather stuck in my ways recently and seem to alternate between British crime series invariably with a DCI in the title and pulpy adventure series with a troubled ex-special forces fella righting the wrongs of the world. 

I occasionally branch out to sci-fi but find the more technical books that put the sci over the fi get a bit tedious. I like a biography now and then, but again seem to feel let down a lot. People I think will have interesting stories to tell often disappoint and others I wasn't looking forward to can hold surprises.

I'm currently reading a detective book from a series set in Manchester by Bill Rogers. The stories are good but they're self published and the editing and proof reading are atrocious!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 16/04/2019 at 11:23 PM, Mostonian said:

I’m Kevin and I love reading and always have a book on the go, and whilst I always try to finish a book I start, there have been a number of “casualties” I’ve had to give up on…

I don’t like classics or high-brow books and despite trying to read a good number I get bored and have decided life’s too short. Arthur Conan Doyle is the exception to the rule. I’m from Manchester, England and have a bit of a weakness for books set in my home city. Any Manchester recommendations gratefully received!

Hello and welcome. I'm Kevin too!