Your Book Activity - April 2019

Athena

It's April already :o!

I'm currently reading Niet ongevoelig by Henny Struik, a memoir / information book about autistic women.

I should also receive a couple of pre-orders this month :).

What's your book activity in April?

On 4/1/2019 at 1:26 AM, More reading time required said:

From the kids I got TWoT book 14 (for when I finally get to it) and a new Tad Williams - The Witchwood Crown - which I am quite excited about and from hubby I got Frank Turner's Try This at Home (signed and limited edition with my name listed in the sleeve)

Then I got a voucher from my sister with which I bought If I die before I wake by Emily Koch, Dear Mrs Bird by A J Pearce, Transcription by Kate Atkinson and The Western Wind by Samantha Harvey.

Finally, for Mother's Day, my kids (husband) took a punt on getting me a new trilogy I'd never heard of - The Shades of Magic trilogy by V E Schwab, which looks very cool.

I loved TWoT book 14, I hope you do too when you get to it :). I really liked the Shades of Magic trilogy, I hope you do too! I hope you enjoy all of the books you got :).

On 4/1/2019 at 1:26 AM, More reading time required said:

I'm hoping this is the year I really manage to recapture my reading bug! I'll need to - I've got too much to get through now! ^_^

I hope 2019 will be the year that will recapture your reading bug :readingtwo::hug:.

Well, I've just finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, and ADORED it.  It was bonkers, brain-twisting, engrossing, and so complex that I thought my brain might pop out of my cranium.  My only minor quibble was with one aspect of the writing style.  The author's similes were hackneyed and creaking -- creaking like an old door-hinge that needed oilingI'll sell you that one, Turton!  That'll be £2.50, please.

Now I'm just about to start The Hairdressers of St Tropez by Rupert Everett, which I'm guessing will be another bonkers read, but in an entirely different way. 

19 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Well, I've just finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, and ADORED it.  It was bonkers, brain-twisting, engrossing, and so complex that I thought my brain might pop out of my cranium.  My only minor quibble was with one aspect of the writing style.  The author's similes were hackneyed and creaking -- creaking like an old door-hinge that needed oilingI'll sell you that one, Turton!  That'll be £2.50, please.. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle! The premise sounds intriguing :).

EDIT: I've bumped it up on my wishlist :).

I'm currently reading Unbroken: 13 stories starring disabled teens, by a variety of authors. I've read 2 1/2 stories so far. Looking forward to the BCF read-a-thon in a week.

Edited by Athena

I've just finished reading 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest' by Steig Larsson. I thought it was a good end to the trilogy, if a little long winded at times. Now, I'm about to read 'I Let You Go' by Claire Mackintosh, which was given to me as a present from a friend.

My reading mojo has pretty much fizzled out completely of late. I was unwell for about 10 days and reading became a chore, and I haven't managed to get back to it properly yet. The next couple of months are going to be very busy, so hopefully my escape route via reading will return soon. :)

I have bought a book on the Bayuex Tapestry. We were lucky enough to see the Tapestry a couple of years ago, and whenever I have seen books about it since then I have been quietly buying them - there aren't as many as I would hve imagined. This one was published in 1945. 

21 hours ago, Chrissy said:

My reading mojo has pretty much fizzled out completely of late. I was unwell for about 10 days and reading became a chore, and I haven't managed to get back to it properly yet. The next couple of months are going to be very busy, so hopefully my escape route via reading will return soon. :)

I'm sorry you were feeling unwell for 10 days! I hope reading will give you some relaxing time during the next couple of months :).

21 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I have bought a book on the Bayuex Tapestry. We were lucky enough to see the Tapestry a couple of years ago, and whenever I have seen books about it since then I have been quietly buying them - there aren't as many as I would hve imagined. This one was published in 1945. 

I looked up this tapestry, it looks and sounds impressive!

I've almost finished Unbroken, not sure yet what I'll feel in the mood for once I've finished it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished The Hairdressers of St Tropez by Rupert Everett.  It was (as predicted) absolutely bananas, wonderfully funny, but with a few unexpected and sad twists.  Great stuff.

I'll be diving into Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie for the Bank Holiday weekend (and beyond)!

On 07/04/2019 at 12:00 PM, Chrissy said:

I think we all suffer from this now and again.  Just don't force it is all I can suggest.  Hope you recover it soon.

Completed Allen Drury's Advise and Consent and Georges Simenon's Signed, Picpus - the latter one of the Maigret series.  Reviews on my book thread.  Have now moved on to Andrew Miller's Now We Shall Be Entirely Free, which I'm consuming quite quickly - superbly written.  I'm also dipping into Tim Flannery's Europe: A Natural History, but it's all about the dinosaurs at present, and I'm not overly interested, so am hoping it moves on to more recent times soon!

I just started reading The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It is an epic of a book and is over 800 pages long. I am about 15% into the book on my kindle and am really enjoying it. It was rated a book of the month for February on Amazon. A review by Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Priory-Orange-Tree-Samantha-Shannon-ebook/dp/B07DDGX4KY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=samantha+shannon&qid=1556144284&s=books&sr=1-1

9 hours ago, muggle not said:

I just started reading The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It is an epic of a book and is over 800 pages long. I am about 15% into the book on my kindle and am really enjoying it. It was rated a book of the month for February on Amazon. A review by Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Priory-Orange-Tree-Samantha-Shannon-ebook/dp/B07DDGX4KY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=samantha+shannon&qid=1556144284&s=books&sr=1-1

I've heard/read both good and bad reviews of The Priory of the Orange Tree (by people I know/follow). There isn't a medium size paperback available yet and the other paperbook options are huge (ie. hardcover or trade paperback), but I don't know if I'd want it or not as I'm not sure yet if I'd like it. That said the cover really intrigues me. I hope you enjoy the whole book @muggle not, I look forward to hear your thoughts on it when you've finished it :).

I finished reading Night of the Living Deed by E. J. Copperman yesterday (book 1 in the Haunted Guesthouse mystery series), but am thinking I might take a break from reading for a few days.

Starting reading The Rosie Result ( Don Tillman  #3)  by Graeme Simsion today. I've only read the first chapter, but it's great so far; it's a joy to find the character Don Tillman again.😄

I hope it's good! I quite liked The Rosie Project but the second book The Rosie Effect I didn't like as much. Will be interested to hear what you think of book 3 :).

I haven't actually been reading any book the past few days, but I started reading Maar je ziet er helemaal niet autistisch uit by Bianca Toeps earlier this afternoon. It's a Dutch autism memoir and I've been looking forward to this one ever since it was announced. It was released in the beginning of this month and I have high hopes that I'll like it. She has a blog which I've been following for a while.

Finished At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracey Chevalier.  Chevalier is always good, and this was no exception, although by her own high standards, it went a little off the boil for me in the last third as it descended towards the conventional saga, having threatened to challenge as one of her best. 4/6 stars.

Edited by willoyd

Just about finished Daniel by Henning Mankell.  Not sure what I think about this one.  The writing is just as good as Mankell always is, not sure about the actual storyline.  Since I was so close to finishing I bought Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter to work today and started that.  So far not liking it as much as others of hers.

• Athena unpinned this topic