• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

April Supporter Giveaway   04/01/2019

"If you look the right way you can see that the whole world is a garden."   In honour of spring, the April giveaway is a print of this wonderful quote from The Secret Garden (thanks, once again to www.thestorygift.co.uk) along with a Secret Garden tea (Victoria Sponge flavoured!) from the  Literary Tea Company! (You can find them both at their own website theliteraryteacompany.co.uk and at their etsy store www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LiteraryTeaCompany ).   As always, patreon supporters will be entered automatically and if you don't support but want to be included in this month's giveaway you can join the patreon here: www.patreon.com/bookclubforum A winner will be chosen at random on the last day of the month!
Sign in to follow this  
Roughbook39

i am going through a tough time , please recomend something to read ?

I am 32 , i am a married person . i have a kid .

I was  unable to complete my bsc computer science degree , I joined another course 2 and a half years ago . the course which is a commerce degree through distance education

ends in 5 months time .

During the past 5 years , i have been struggling a lot with really crappy jobs .

As soon i complete my degree , i will find a better job for sure .

In the meanwhile life was really hard ,

Long hours of work

Studies in the evenings

Staring into the computer screen collecting and arranging more notes .

I have not been able to read any good books in these times , and i can no longer sit in front of computers , Its making me sick .

What else is there to stare in the computer world ?

A really mentally retarded Youtube , And good for nothing Facebook .

I want to read a good book instead of staring into these two to kill some time .

Can anyone recommend me some good books before i become mental ?

Thanks

First of all, welcome to the forum! :)

I'm sorry to hear life has been a struggle lately. In times of struggle, it's sometimes hard to concentrate on books. I think we've all been there at one point in our lives. It's hard to recommend books to someone I don't know, so why don't you tell us what kind of books you've enjoyed in the past? 

If all else fails, why not re-read a novel that you've loved before? 

Thanks for the reply

Already i learned a big point , that is true it is hard to focus on books when we are struggling with other things .

I still somehow managed to reach 5 semesters of this distance education commerce degree course .

The only Book i enjoyed reading was

Sherlock holmes the complete volume .

Then i have read about some history related books about religion

I have read about a lot of religions too .

But i am still an atheist sort of person , Because i do not like society forcing me prayers and stuff .

I will pray to god when i feel like praying to god .

I do not like people in the society telling me when to pray to billion year old God .

I come from a crappy place of India , So there is a lot of religion here and unbelievable amount of  noise pollution mainly led by people practicing religion .

I hate those sort of people who do not know how to lead a peaceful life .

I like silence a lot

Lately due to the lack of time to go through big books , i have been reading local children's books

To be honest i love reading books like those .

I am planning to read more children's books in the future too

If Sherlock Holmes is a book you've enjoyed reading, why not look for something similar? I hope other people can recommend similar types of novels, I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes books if I remember correctly. 

You say you come from a 'crappy place of India'. How available are books to you? Do you have any problems finding the books you want to read? I think there was a member on here how might've been from India and she struggled with finding books... I'm not sure! 

I think reading children's books and young adult novels is a great idea! They are easier to get into, and they can be really amazing reads :smile2:  

Thanks again for the reply ,

Why i joined here was mostly because i needed to change my lifestyle a bit .

from Work , Kids , studies , youtube , facebook

to Work and books only .

Yes i will also try more books like Sherlock holmes , I have not thought about it much .But i will try

I love Books like Tin Tin too ,  but those type of books are very expensive here .

I can buy books from amazon or i can go to the second hand book store and buy the books i like .

Even in the second hand book store ,  Books like Tin Tin costs a lot  .

But i am sure all of this will change once i find a better job in 5 more months  .

In the meanwhile i will shop outside for more childrens book :)

Hello and a big welcome. I really hope things improve for you soon. Do you have a public library in your area where you can borrow books? Another thought, if it's difficult to concentrate on reading,  listening to audiobooks might be easier. One place I know of that is free, is Librivox.

https://librivox.org/ 

The books are mostly older but there is quite a range available.

Thanks for the reply poppy ,

Yes i have a library here , but i can't always find time to go to library these days .

I really like the idea of audio books , i think  it was some 10 years ago that i heard about audio books  . I should try that .

My 5th Semester exam starts on 23rd this month and ends before april .

I am suddenly a bit more stressed than usual

After my exam ends i will try to listen to some audio books

Thanks for sharing the website :)

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, Roughbook39 said:

Thanks for the reply poppy ,

Yes i have a library here , but i can't always find time to go to library these days .

I really like the idea of audio books , i think  it was some 10 years ago that i heard about audio books  . I should try that .

My 5th Semester exam starts on 23rd this month and ends before april .

I am suddenly a bit more stressed than usual

After my exam ends i will try to listen to some audio books

Thanks for sharing the website :)

You're most welcome :) 

I find audiobooks really good if I'm having trouble sleeping too. Seems like I drift off in no time :sleeping-smiley-009

Hi! I’m a bit late to this but, for children’s audiobooks, maybe Harry Potter, or The Hobbit? I really like the version of The Hobbit read by Rob Inglis, I think he has a really relaxing voice. 

For something like Sherlock Holmes, maybe try Edgar Allan Poe’s Dupin stories, if you haven’t read them already (I think there’s just three - The Purloined Letter, The Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Mystery of Marie Roget). 

I hope your exams are going well! :)