Graphic Novel/Trade Paperback Storage Help

Danny_Foster

I store all of my trade paperback graphic novels (Marvel, DC etc) on a shelf of an IKEA Billy shelving unit and have noticed recently that all of the bottom right hand corners of the books have started to bend. The shelf i have them on is the only shelf stuck to the structure whereas he rest can be moved around, meaning this is the only shelf connected to the backboard of the shelving unit (at the bottom at least). 

My questions are what is the cause of this and how can I prevent this?

There is a gap between the moveable shelves and the backing board so the bottom of the paperbacks have backing, but the top there is a small gap. Could this be the cause? Should i nail the shelf right into the backboard? Or is this simply a case of storing too many books on one shelf/needing a shelving unit with shorter shelves? The books don't yet fill the entire shelf so are standing free somewhat, but fill up about 80% of the shelf as I have quite a lot of them now.

Help ASAP would be much appreciated as i don't want to damage my collection. Also easy ways to bend these back would be great.

This is the bookcase i have : https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/bookcases/billy-bookcase-white-art-00263850/

Thanks.

(New to the forum so not sure how to upload images)

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I think it might be that the books are sagging slightly at the back while they're on the shelf, I've had that happen to paperback books before. Do they completely fill the shelf? You could try making sure the books are quite tightly pushed together at the back, so they're completely upright all the way along. 

The best way to flatten them back into shape would probably be to lie them flat and put something heavy, like some other books, on top of them, that's worked for me!

Hi, thank you :)

No they don't completely fill the shelf just yet, but quite close. Feel like I may just wait till a have enough to fill it and until then keep them stacked flat. What would you suggest to keep the book tightly pushed together at the back?

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

I collect a lot of graphic novels and comics have you thought about the things that comic books shops use the plastic bag thing and the thin cardboard thing in the back you use electrical type to seal and then if you wish to keep it for ever it might stay safe for as long as possible graphic novel what I done was use an folder wallet but the graphics novel into that it depends on how thick the graphics novels are try that and see if that helps