• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Sign in to follow this  
Wouturairim

Give me some help about a list of short story books

Hi everyone. Friends, I recently became a member of this forum and I want help with short stories. I have a very little time to read a book because of my job and a long working time, and this is a very annoying thing for me, because I love reading books, so I bought some of the best audiobooks from an online e-books store so that I can listen to them in the way. But as I like to read the book, I'm looking for short stories that I can read and finish them very quickly in one or two days, and the problem of not reading books can be solved for me. I would appreciate if you can introduce me a list of nice and interesting short stories to read.

Would you prefer a particular genre? What type of books do you usually like? 

I don't read short stories as such, but I've read 'essay collections' by one of my favorite authors, Augusten Burroughs. They are not really essays, I don't think, they are more like writings on specific things. 

But I know Augusten Burroughs is not for everyone. He might curse, he might talk about taboos, etc. 

Not entirely sure what to go for if you haven't got a go-to genre. Are you looking for short stories specifically or also novellas? Either can be quick to read and easy to fit into a long day of work. 

Try the short stories by Saki if you're looking for something easy to read and (mostly) light-hearted.

I've recently read Cassandra Parkins' New World Fairy Tales which is a collection of re-imagined fairy tales though not quite as rosy as the originals, I had fun trying to figure out which fairy tale was the basis of each story.

Simon Kinch's Two Sketches of Disjointed Happiness not a short story, more of a novella, it's a quick read and easy to fit in between work.

Guy Ware's The Fat of Fed Beasts is, well, very different. Avoid if not a fan of cursing. I loved its weirdness. 

O and because I think everyone should read James Joyce, read Dubliners. 

I always recommend Lydia Davis for short stories.

She is one of the most original writers out there and the winner of the 2013 Man Booker International Prize. Shes' been described as 'the master of a literary form largely of her own invention.'

Some of her stories are only a sentence or paragraph long - I have always been fascinated by Davis's ability to play with words. I don't think I've ever read a writer like her.

You can find some of her short stories online if you want to get an idea of her style before diving in.

Try William Trevor.

Great short stories about people and the mundane lives they live.

Quirky and quixotic by turn.

Daphne Du Maurier short stories were favourites of mine. Strange and often with a hint of the supernatural or other-worldly.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:26 AM, Polly Parrot said:

Not entirely sure what to go for if you haven't got a go-to genre. Are you looking for short stories specifically or also novellas? Either can be quick to read and easy to fit into a long day of work. 

Try the short stories by Saki if you're looking for something easy to read and (mostly) light-hearted.

I've recently read Cassandra Parkins' New World Fairy Tales which is a collection of re-imagined fairy tales though not quite as rosy as the originals, I had fun trying to figure out which fairy tale was the basis of each story.

Simon Kinch's Two Sketches of Disjointed Happiness not a short story, more of a novella, it's a quick read and easy to fit in between work.

Guy Ware's The Fat of Fed Beasts is, well, very different. Avoid if not a fan of cursing. I loved its weirdness. 

O and because I think everyone should read James Joyce, read Dubliners. 

I'm not hard-hitting about the book, but if I want to further specify exactly what style of books I like, I can refer to Science Fiction & Fantasy Books, Philosophy, and Poetry

On 3/9/2019 at 10:14 PM, frankie said:

I don't read short stories as such, but I've read 'essay collections' by one of my favorite authors, Augusten Burroughs. They are not really essays, I don't think, they are more like writings on specific things. 

But I know Augusten Burroughs is not for everyone. He might curse, he might talk about taboos, etc. 

This book is amazing, I read it two years ago, and now I can read it again. This is the perfect book for people who thought they hated short stories. This book is a collection of uninteresting, unrelated, self-indulgent, rambling stories about alcoholism, over eating, voyeurism and the authors dysfunctional family and I like it. 

I just read a book from this author [Lydia Davis] whose name was "The End of the Story" Although I read the book until the end of the book, I could not communicate with her.
I hope other books you suggested by this author have worth reading and I can add to my reading list.